No custom resolutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The thing is, I feel Parhelia could outperform the Ti4600 - from what the BBz are saying.

Give me more benchmarks!
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Hi,

I'd like to add my two cents about custom resolutions and refresh rates. For resolution, some scale DVDs to hit "the sweet spot" of their CRT front projector. Others do it to upscale DVD's 720x480 pixels to minimize aliasing without scaling artifiacts such as moire and banding. Such resolutions are 1440x960 (an even 2.0 scaling factor), 1920x960 (16/6 scaling factor which strangely works becuase the 16 in the numerator fits the 16 (4x4) scaling taps and any integer number in the denominator will work).

For refresh rates, 71.928 is triple the film frame rate for smooth motion and minimum flicker. Others like 47.952 to slow down the CRT so that it can draw each pixel as sharp as possible with flicker grudgingly accepted.

I know the acceptance of Parhelia as a home theatre solution will be delayed until custom resolution and refresh rates are available because VESA setings are useless to us.

As for iDCT, it would be nice to have. But most CPUs even the cheap ones are over 1Ghz and are fast enough to do MPEG2 decode. If people are concerned about proper MPEG2 decoding, the ideal way is to use a set top box DVD player and modifiy it for SDI output to an SDI Silk input PCI card for better sharpness, truer colours and smoother pans. The reason may be better MPEG2 decoding or avoidance of directshow.

Out of curiosity, is the Parhelia's default black level set for 0 IRE?

Ben
        Last edited by BenjaminWoo; 19 July 2002, 21:44.

Comment

Thanks Mr. Woo. Nice to see some cross-pollination with AVS occurring here.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
          X