No announcement yet.

parhelia and garbled BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanx guys, but that is just the form i'm talking about... the "Submit" button takes me to an IE error page, it doesn't work...does it work for you? E-mail would be so much better, if only I could find an address...
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Have you tried something other than IE?
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e57'

String or binary data would be truncated.

/forms/complaint.asp, line 236

That was the message with Opera.

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
          Matrox cannot fix another manufactures BIOS problems. What this means is for all who have this problem to contact the manufacture of their MB and complain... this leverage will push them to fix it.
          From the Parhelia review on TomsHardware
          Another problem is the display of VESA graphics under DOS. Parhelia cannot display VESA graphics that are not 100% compatible, for example, in a high-resolution BIOS of a motherboard. Matrox will be offering an additional BIOS to remedy this problem.

Well what do you know, it wasn't ASUS's fault after all! I hope they fix this.

Comment

You believe Tom over Mike?
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Hey, I think Tom is a goddamn liar when it comes to benchmarks...but I also believe what I see and I am not the only one having this problem...when one mobo with high-res bios makes trouble, it's very probably the mobo's fault...when this happens in more than 1 system, with different mobo's and in which the common component is the vidcard, I blame the vidcard...why does this not seem logical to you?

Comment

lecter, the quote I posted is an official responce from Matrox and will be posted by them shortly addressing this issue for all to see. If you don't believe me then fine, but claiming Tom is correct and Matrox is wrong really puts you in a special corner. You know the one where the fool is wearing a dunce hat. Care to put money on it or continue putting your foot in your mouth?
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

lector, reread Tom's quote...

Parhelia cannot display VESA graphics that are not 100% compatible, for example, in a high-resolution BIOS of a motherboard
                  so they are sticking to standards instead of being lax? i think the industry needs more of this, as lax standards have resulted in really really bad mistakes and problems sometimes...
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Here's a groundbreaking idea...

How about everybody stop going ON and ON about the garbled fullscreen boot-up logo and just go into the motherboard's bios and TURN OFF the god damn full screen logo? Did this issue really require two pages worth of thread?

Full screen logos are for retards anyway, that buy their PC's at circuit city, the kind that would get scared and faint from "all those numbers and stuff" .... What person considering a Parhelia WOULDN'T want to see boot up diagnostics in favor of the fullscreen graphic ?

Joe T.

Comment

How about everybody stop going ON and ON about the garbled fullscreen boot-up logo and just go into the motherboard's bios and TURN OFF the god damn full screen logo? Did this issue really require two pages worth of thread?
                      If that's what it takes then YES. Any thread can be as many posts as neccessary to either answer all aspects of the question at hand or pound it into whoever's head that just doesn't get it. Either way I've seen far worse and makes no difference to me.

Comment

Well, the problem I was having was that the BIOS itself was garbled and unusable. It was with an older Dell computer. I have since switched the Parhelia to a newer AMD based computer and have no problems at all.

Comment

One argues with me, but one does not use context.

I, therefore, ignore contextless letters and punctuation
                          Meet Jasmine.
                          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I agree with testjoe about the usability of the bootlogo, it's really a minor quirk, but I don't like the response it has been getting-basically Matrox is blaming the mobo makers when it seems to me it is their fault...DGhost, think about it, if a game or a 3D app is poorly coded and does not conform to quality standards (and let's face it, this applies to nearly all games) then it is Matrox's right not to run it? How about compatibility? Is that too much to ask from a modern computer component?

Comment

Yes, you are asking too much. Why have standards if you expect everyone to tolerate all the "special exceptions" that could pop up because somebody felt like it?
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Exactly Rob. With the cut throat price competitiveness of today most manufactures and software companies either poorly implement hardware or code to keep support costs down. Now that may seem to be an oxymoron, but when all that most customers look at is the price and nothing more or are mislead in some manner as to lead you to believe that all is fine until after the fact what do you end up with?.. either a POS that goes to the trash bin or a migraine that you must patiently wait til the problems are resolved. If they would take a bit of pride in what they do and tell their marketing depts to take a flippin hike then we would all be in a better position to make choices and not gamble at every turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X