Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future of Graphics Controllers ...

Originally posted by thop
    hmm the question is will the p256 have the issues that p128 has fixed? and will it really be cheaper than the p128 is now? if both yes than this sounds like a good card to me.

oh and 512mb on a gfx card? 10 years back my trident had 512kb i'm seriously wonderning if we will have 512GB on a gfx card in 10 years. this sounds completely ridiculous today, but so did 512mb 10 years ago.
    Well...
    when you have dodeca-headed holographic, 24bits/color channel, triple-buffered, 128 bits of overlay (outerlay in a hologram ), floating point Z-buffer (w buffer in a hologram??? ), raytracing display controllers, 512GB may not be enough.

Plus the fact that DirectX5200 will be written in interpreted ActiveX-Java-C#.net code, which the card will compile on the fly (for each frame), will put a severe crunch on *only* 512GB cards. Sheesh.

And of course ATI will have the Radeon 9.92e+06 and and nVidia will have the GeForce-be-with-you 16201MxProTi with 1TB, just for fun

I will say this, though - no-one will ever need more than 640TB on their graphics cards...

Comment

Re: The future of Graphics Controllers ...

Originally posted by spadnos

I will say this, though - no-one will ever need more than 640TB on their graphics cards...
      Ups.... where I heard this???
      Kuba2k

P4 1.6@2.1 512kB - i845E - 512MB DDR333@354 - 60 GB - G400 DH 32MB - EIZO 21" CRT & 29" flat TV - SB Audigy - Genius SW-5.1 Home Theater - Pioneer DVD 106s - TEAC WE540K - ELSA cable modem

Comment

I'm interested to know if this newly announced card will have the same problems (flickering screen, is it the faa thing that has yet to be fixed?, anything else not driver related that has been mentioned which I'm forgetting at the moment). Especially targeting this card to the high end users and professionals, that could SERIOUSLY hurt Matrox.

If anyone who may be able to comment on this can, that'd be nice. If not, that'd be nice too.
        "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
        --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Originally posted by ex-SalesSoup
          Parhelia 256MB = US$599
          TripleHead, DH-HF, FAA-16x, Dual-DVI, CAD drivers, AEC|VIZ

3DLabs WildCat II 5110 144MB = US$799
          3DLabs WildCat VP870 128MB = US$699
          Quadro 900XGL 128MB = US$900+
          FireGL4 128MB = US$1000+

price look any better now?
          The 3DLabs, Quadro, and FireGL ALL outperform the Parhelia in the 3D workstation by a good margin in most applications and situations. And your point would be?

VigilAnt
          VigilAnt

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib
            I'm interested to know if this newly announced card will have the same problems (flickering screen, is it the faa thing that has yet to be fixed?, anything else not driver related that has been mentioned which I'm forgetting at the moment). Especially targeting this card to the high end users and professionals, that could SERIOUSLY hurt Matrox.

If anyone who may be able to comment on this can, that'd be nice. If not, that'd be nice too.
            Did you not read what I wrote in my editorial that was cut and pasted to the beginning post of this thread?

This has been answered.

VigilAnt
            VigilAnt

Comment

No, not all of it. You didn't address the shimmering. Then again, Matrox hasn't yet either.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

originally posted by ME
                It will be roughly the same chip with the same or lower clocks.
                Same chip, lower clock. Same issues.

VigilAnt
                VigilAnt

Comment

Yeah, I read it. And it was not implied. Thanks.
                  "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                  --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Originally posted by VigilAnt

The 3DLabs, Quadro, and FireGL ALL outperform the Parhelia in the 3D workstation by a good margin in most applications and situations. And your point would be?

VigilAnt
                    we're not talking benchmarks here...a professional 3D user would have no need to complain about performance if they played around with it. Plus, we're talking about triple-display, a $300 software package in AEC|VIZ and the best end-user support.
                    OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

So you're charging directly for Haig now?? (And a bit of MURC thrown in )
                      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

we're not talking benchmarks here...a professional 3D user would have no need to complain about performance if they played around with it. Plus, we're talking about triple-display, a $300 software package in AEC|VIZ and the best end-user support.
                        but we're talking about visual quality here and I still see a problem with bandings when using either 3D or video overlay ...
                        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                        LG BH10LS38
                        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Originally posted by Maggi

but we're talking about visual quality here and I still see a problem with bandings when using either 3D or video overlay ...
                          this is off the topic, and anyway I have no information on that issue.
                          OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

When it won't complete some simple operations in very common 3D apps, and/or crawls with others, oh believe me. They do care. This will flop, especially with the banding problems.

VigilAnt
                            VigilAnt

Comment

this is off the topic, and anyway I have no information on that issue.
                              information about this issue can be found here

and here

Regards,
                              Maggi
                              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                              LG BH10LS38
                              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Originally posted by Maggi

information about this issue can be found here

and here

Regards,
                                Maggi
                                looks to me like Haig is looking into it for you guys...i wish i could comment on this issue, but i have no information on it (apart from what I see on the Forum and here)
                                OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

Comment

Working...
                                X