what card is this G4+ MMDHA32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what card is this G4+ MMDHA32

Would this be a G400 MAX or a normal G400 ?

Also i've heard that the G400MAX is a better card then the G550 i use right now.

Is this correct ?

Comment

That is a G400 Max.
      G400 is better than G550 in most ways. Faster. Better TV-out.
      G550 is only better if you need DVI or run you secondary display at very high resolutions.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Ahh cool , so since i'm only using 1024 on my displays i would get better performance/image quality then with the G550 ?

hmm Kruzin

havn't i seen you on Techimo?

Comment

Image quality will be about the same with those two cards, but the G400 will be a little faster.

And yes, you've seen me at TIMO from time to time, but this is my on-line home
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

i can't load images

Comment

The thing between VGA connectors, is that a Maven chip?

Comment

Maven chip?

Comment

Maven is the chip that handles the TV-Out on a G400 (and G400 only) card. Besides being a dumb TV-encoder, it also resizes the image in hardware to TV-resolution.

The G450 and G550 (and P?) do the image resizing in software, but IMHO that sucks. It's never as good as on a G400, and worse: it pulls quite some CPU power.
                  IMO it was a stupid thing to NOT use the Maven-chip/technology on the newer cards.

Comment

Maybe worth pointing out to Skywalker that the G400 Max you are looking at is, if its part number is accurate, one of the early ones that wasn't certified for use at AGP 4x.

The lack of 4x capability in itself is neither here nor there, as there's no real speed difference between 2x and 4x. However, the problems may start if you plan on using the card in one of the newer motherboards that requres 1.5 volt AGP signalling, as the early cards don't seem to support it.
                    Last edited by Richh; 6 February 2003, 10:11.

Comment

G550 must faster than G400 MAX,because surport DX7 £¡
                      PC:Intel P4 3G |Intel D875PBZ|Geil PC3200 256MB Golden Dragon x 2| matrox Parhelia-512 R 128MB|Creative SB! Audigy2 Platinum|Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 120GB x 2 Raid0|WesternDigital WDC WD1200JB-00EVA0|LG 795FT Plus|LG HL-DT-ST RWDVD GCC-4480B|LG HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8523B|LGIM-ML980|LGIM-K868|SF-420TS
                      DataCenter:Intel PIII 450|Intel VC820|Samsung RDRAM PC800 256MB x 2|matrox Millennium G450 DualHead SGRAM 32MB|Adaptec 2940UW|NEC USB2.0 Extend Card|Intel pro100 82557|Samsung Floppy Disk|Fujitsu MAN3367MP|Seagate Barracuda ST136475LW|IBM DTLA-307030|Sony CU5221|SevenTeam ST-420SLP|LGIM-ML980|LGIM-K868

Comment

Originally posted by chhfchhf
                        G550 must faster than G400 MAX,because surport DX7 £¡
                        Er, what does the level of DirectX support have to do with the core speed, memory speed and interface width of any particular graphics card?

The G400 Max is a good 25-30% faster than the G550...
                        Last edited by Richh; 6 February 2003, 10:12.

Comment

The G550 is only a tad slower than the G400Max (~=G400). Tho the G550 has about double the fillrate.
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

However, the problems may start if you plan on using the card in one of the newer motherboards that requres 1.5 volt AGP signalling, as the early cards don't seem to support it.
                            This is only true for a few MB's on the market. For those that it won't work with there is a mod that can be done (shorting R68's pads)
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Hopkins
                              Maybe worth pointing out to Skywalker that the G400 Max you are looking at is, if its part number is accurate, one of the early ones that wasn't certified for use at AGP 4x.

The lack of 4x capability in itself is neither here nor there, as there's no real speed difference between 2x and 4x. However, the problems may start if you plan on using the card in one of the newer motherboards that requres 1.5 volt AGP signalling, as the early cards don't seem to support it.

So this card wont work with my A7V333 mobo ?
                              Maybe i should test it , but wont it fry the mobo if the voltage is incorrect ?

Comment

Working...
                              X