Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: Reasons for Parhelia's poor performance

Originally posted by joonie
    If you know so well, then why don't you give us reasons for the under performance of Parhelia?
    And those statements are not my idea. It's from a computer magazine that critisized Parhelia. I stated this before in the first page... please READ...
    You know, i could write a huge rant explaining a lot of reasons for this. but you know what would happen? this thread would probably be closed because of the "whining and bitching" it would involve.

Like other people have said, do a search. there are a ton of reasons that have been stated by other people.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Reasons for Parhelia's poor performance

Originally posted by DGhost
      You know, i could write a huge rant explaining a lot of reasons for this. but you know what would happen? this thread would probably be closed because of the "whining and bitching" it would involve.
      Then can you make one or two short lines of summary explaining th underperformance, so we all can see it in this forum

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reasons for Parhelia's poor performance

Then can you make one or two short lines of summary explaining th underperformance, so we all can see it in this forum
        Everyone else has seen it already. <B> We are not here to serve you.</B> Go do your own damn search.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reasons for Parhelia's poor performance

Originally posted by Wombat
          Everyone else has seen it already. <B> We are not here to serve you.</B> Go do your own damn search.
          It's just a bit difficult yo move the mouse cursor to search button and then think of the correct thing to type in.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Some of us actually still believe, that the performance of Parhelia
            is quite enough for most of the situations...

After being able to play Surround Gaming couple of months now,
            I believe that I won't be even thinking of buying another graphic card
            just to have improved performance, if that card wouldn't do it in triplehead!

Comment

So VilgiAnt. You are saying this Parhelia is a GeForce4 killer eh?
              It's not underperforming? With that FANTASTIC SPEC, I think P should beat even Radeon9700! And if 220MH of core clock is not low, is it higher than other cards and performs better?
              Hey, if you DO KNOW why P underperforms, then don't just mumble my list is wrong and why don't YOU show us some of the reasons. Not showing your reasons just doesn't make your conjecture strong enough.

And don't give me that crap about Parhelia is a perfect graphic card in performing 3D applications
              Well look here at Mr. High and mighty. If you have spent any length of time here, you would know that I happen to know quite a few particulars on the Parhelia, Matrox, and the rest of the video card industry in general. You would also know that I have posted up my findings (in great detail) in the forums and on the news page. Your conjecture is based on an imaginary article which was based on god knows what for resources.

I never said Parhelia was a geforce4 killer. You are puting words in my mouth, but Parhelia does have some performance strong points.

In short, please take your sniveling attitude and put it in your shirt pocket, because it has no place here and definitely is not welcome. Spend some time to get familiar with the people here before popping your cork, the champagne will flow prematurely otherwise.
              VigilAnt

Comment

Thank you VigilAnt. Your vigilance is appreciated....
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

see, thats the problem. it is not just one problem, there are a number of them that all contribute in one way or another. each one individually wouldn't be too much of a problem (even the 220Mhz clock speed)... it couldn't be summarized in one or two lines cause there are too many different situations where different problems come into play in different ways.

Like everyone else has said, search the forums. you will turn up a lot of reasons and a lot of explanations and discussions of the shortcomings of the architecture.
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Maybe with Doom3 we will be able to see what can be done with the Parhelia.AFAIK Matrox is working together with ID to support Parhelia in Doom3.
                    Well thats what ROM said
                    ASUS P5B-E ;2GB G.Skill DDR2 Ram; C2D6420;lub 3D X1950pro ;SoundBlaster X-Fi;WinXP

Comment

Originally posted by Faramir1966
                      Maybe with Doom3 we will be able to see what can be done with the Parhelia.AFAIK Matrox is working together with ID to support Parhelia in Doom3.
                      Well thats what ROM said
                      When did he say that? Last I read of Carmack's .plan, the NV30 and the ATI cards were getting optimized paths, and <I>maybe</I> the P10, but not Parhelia.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

There was a thread here in which R0M said they were working with id.

Comment

that could just mean that they are getting the most basic suport for parhelia to actually work with it, asking very very nicely for the coders to spend their time pleasing a very small number of users or getting support for all of parhelias features. i think its somewhere between the first and second.
                          is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                          Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Yeah, Matrox barely has any OpenGL talent left. They're probably just figuring out what the minimum they have to do to get the ARB calls rendered correctly.

Comment

Who knows.
                              We will just have to wait and see i guess.
                              Maybe that time we will get a pleasent surprise.
                              ASUS P5B-E ;2GB G.Skill DDR2 Ram; C2D6420;lub 3D X1950pro ;SoundBlaster X-Fi;WinXP

Comment

Anyway, here are some templemark results:

Temple Demo 1.0.2 -Benchmark-
                                Driver, nv4_disp.dll
                                Description, NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400
                                Version, 6.13.10.4071
                                HAL, ON
                                T&L, ON
                                Trilinear, ON
                                Texture compression, ON
                                Max. Multitexture used, 4+2
                                Max. Texture used, 1024x1024
                                CPU Description, AMD K7 (Athlon)
                                CPU Speed, 1500 Mhz.
                                Screen Res, 1024,768,32
                                Average FPS, 112.699547

Driver, pmxdisp.dll
                                Description, 3D Prophet 4500
                                Version, 1.00.09.0015
                                HAL, ON
                                T&L, OFF
                                Trilinear, ON
                                Texture compression, ON
                                Max. Multitexture used, 6
                                CPU Speed, 1550 Mhz.
                                Screen Res, 1024,768,32
                                Average FPS, 85.651337

Driver, ati2dvag.dll
                                Description, RADEON 9700 SERIES
                                Version, 5.1.2600.0
                                HAL, ON
                                T&L, ON
                                Trilinear, ON
                                Texture compression, ON
                                Max. Multitexture used, 6
                                CPU Speed, 1500 Mhz.
                                Screen Res, 1024,768,32
                                Average FPS, 119.259689

Now see what I meant about the texturing units donĀ“t being able to show up even on a very intense multitexturing situation?
                                Last edited by Nuno; 16 March 2003, 14:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X