Millennium P-Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One word on the pipes:
    They would have to be completely ignorant to have cut the number of pipes in 2.
    The main problem was the 4x4 config. a 4x2 config was faster in a lot of cases (4200 etc). Too complex, and unused by developers.
    they have prob gone for a 4x2 config. even ati stopped doing 2x3 cos the 3 TMU's weren't always being used.
    The core will have been redesigned for a speed increase like the R300->R350 redesign allowed higher clocks. They will have sorted the banding issue. they are not suicidal ;P
    I want one for the HTPC thats gagging for it...the G400's are a tad slow fior the occasional game...
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

• [whine]HAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIG!![/whine]

Still no "render subject nude" option. As you know, I've been patiently waiting for this feature for years.

My large collection of Britney Spears JPEGs just hasn't reached its fullest entertainment potential. Not to mention all my Buffy, Roswell, and Smallville screen caps.

Paul

Comment

• This is kinda related.

Im looking for a new graphics card that offers the highest possible tv-out quality to a projector (Cant use VGA cable due to cabling concerns). Fanless is also a bonus.

Trouble is cant decide between ATI or Matrox. Component Video output would be best but my HT amp contains a good quality video convertor anyway. Can anyone recommend a card?

Comment

• Krobar, you'd be better off starting a new thread in the General hardware/software forum.

BTW, welcome!!!

Comment

• BTW, welcome!!!
            THX Novdid

I've started another thread. Im still wating to see some performance results from these new cards. Currently using a Geforce 3, happy with the performance but would like better image quality.

Comment

• If the P-LX has half of the pipes of the GF3 then the core should be 2x faster to reach its pixel fillrate. Which is not likely.
              BTW is this 2 pipes official? How many texturing units are on those pipes? Does anyone know?

Comment

• When i get some official answers I'll let you know.

Remember guys this card is not aimed at a gaming audience.

Dan
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

• OK, no offense at anyone. I'm just wondering whether the performance will cover my occasional gaming needs so I can buy one of these new cards or should I wait 'till P goes cheaper or we'll have a newer revision of it.
                  But OK. Let's see.

Comment

• Originally posted by paulcs
                    [whine]HAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIG!![/whine]

Still no "render subject nude" option. As you know, I've been patiently waiting for this feature for years.

My large collection of Britney Spears JPEGs just hasn't reached its fullest entertainment potential. Not to mention all my Buffy, Roswell, and Smallville screen caps.

Paul

Hey paulcs, welcome back !
                    Sadly no RSN, seems there's no people to design it anymore.

Comment

• The entire market is moving to a pipeline config with one TMU per pipe.
                      It would more than foolish for matrox to come out with a 2x4 card.
                      4x2 seems better, and much more likely. The 4 TMU's were never used to the full, which is why P sucked in most games.
                      Most games use only 2 textures per pass.
                      Look at ati (8x1) and nVIDIA (4x2).
                      I reckon it will be about as fast as a 4xxx Nvidia card.
                      If it has FAA also, that would be a big bonus, as it uses less bandwidth than FSAA.
                      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

• id love to be proven wrong but look at the facts, its going to be a semi fixed striped down parhelia, now parhelia without faa on performs on a par with geforce 4xxx now with pipelines missing , lower memeroy bandwidth and a card targeted away from 3d gamers i think the likelyhood of geforce 4xxx speeds is low however it should be a great card for G550 replacement and business use, if gaming is your thing then parhelia is the current matrox solution for this, these will play games at decnt rates i would guess but think 2 year old performance.
                        is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                        Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

• How come we don't know for sure how many pipes/textures? The cards been "Launched" so wtf?
                          No body really knows? B.S.
                          If the card had performance they would be stuffing it down our throats. But as far as gaming is concerned it is crap. Pure crap. Anyone dare to contradict?
                          Read the "buy line" For video editing professionals. Duh. Ya it gets 576 fps it ut2003.
                          Matrox has never lead the 3d race except for a week long tie with the tnt-ultra when the MAX was launched.
                          Why does everyone expect/wish/pray that they are going to kick ass in this arena now?
                          Hell minus the 9700 pro the Parhellia is right in there with the pack + 3 display. So they launch a card w/half the price and people question if it's a gamer! Get you heads out of your *ss'es. If you want a gaming card for cheap go get a 9500pro. If you want to video edit get a g?-P?-750.
                          Damnit.
                          PS-go Canucks
                          funky
                          Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

• Funky, chill, relax. It hasn't been Released, only the product announcement. Hopefully review boards will be coming out next week.

Some people may hope for this to be a gamer's card, but even Matrox's own product information says for the 'occasional' gamer.

As for all the information about the chip specs, I'm hoping it will be available soon.

Dan
                            Last edited by Sasq; 26 April 2003, 01:05.
                            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

• I'm betting it'll be as fast as a GeForce4 MX440. Who knows though? We'd have to wait and see.

Comment

• Yep. Noone here expected it to be a gamers card. I think most of us wondered that how will it do the occasional gaming.

Comment

Working...
                                X