Half Life D3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half Life D3D

Half Life bombs back to the desktop consistently when you're just entering the firing range in the hazard course (and at random times during the main game) if you use D3D. Everything works OK when it's set to OGL but it runs much slower.

Is this a problem specific to HL (I have no updates installed) or could it be something to do will the G400 drivers?

Chris Blake

Look in other half-life threads for a way to speed up opengl.

Comment

Add the line:
      gl_texsort "1"
      to your autoexec.cfg for the game.
      This will boost OGL performance.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I know there are way to speed up OGL but thats not really the issue. I want to be able to run HL in D3D.
        Chris Blake

Comment

Hi Chris,

could you please provide us with your system details ?

Also at what resolutions your desktop is set to ...

------------------
          CU,
          Maggi
          Millenium G400 32MB DH

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Hi
            I'm just wondering, WHY do you wanna be able to play with D3D? Isn't OGL better? When I play D3D I don't get any decals and things like that... why choose D3D when you don't have to?

Comment

I agree. Halflife is an OGL game. The D3D support in it is not even true D3D support. It's an OGL wrapper of sorts.

The game looks better in OGL, and when configured right, it is faster in OGL.

Piss on D3D Halflife
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

hahaha, so true.. so true... hl d3d is a real pisser. Don't you love that ugly blurry ass text too? I'd rather read brail

Comment

I agree with absalom
                  Tried d3d could not read the text,really blury.
                  now using the new drivers and ogl and its all fine.

Comment

Chris, I have your answer.
                    Go into the g200d3d.cfg and the d3d.cfg file in sierra\half-life\valve\hw folder and take out(comment out would be better) any line that has gl_ in it.
                    It seems that if you have those in whenever HL get's to certain parts of certain maps it just bombs out like that.

Here is what it fixed on my comp:
                    I am now able to play TFC maps- 2fort, push, hunted.
                    Before single player would bomb out atleast in one section(map) of each level.

What it takes out:
                    Now I can't see logos, blood and shots on the ground and walls with D3D.

This didn't work with an early version of S&I though.
                    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Why do I want to get HL working in D3D? Mainly because I want to get to the bottom of the problem. I have a few games that won't work under D3D, HL being one of them and I'm paranoid that it may be a problem with my set-up. Reinstalling W98se five times and the odd "Windows Protection Fault" (read "Windows has f***ed up big-time and you'll have to spend the next 2 hours reinstalling everything") error will do that to you.

Apart from this I simply get better performance from HL using D3D (apart from the crashing) without pissing about with reg hacks, config files and all that crap - What a waste of time just to play a game.

In an ideal world I should just be able to stick the in the drive hit install and start playing a game. Be it OGL or D3D, I'm not fussed which it uses so long as it works! I'll go with whichever one runs best.
                      Chris Blake

Comment

It is nice to just pop in a cd and play immediately once in a while. I popped in my old copy of Diablo on the weekend, and was playing within 30 seconds... It's still a kick ass game too
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Why D3D?

- OpenGL is disabled by Windows 98 when operating in multi-monitor mode, on any multi-monitor setup.

- D3D runs faster, from what I've seen.

HL runs in D3D fine on my system at home. I can post the config file once I get home, if you need it.

Those "Windows Protection Errors" don't necessitate a reinstall:

1) Boot up into Safe Mode.

2) Check to make sure no devices are using memory regions which are used by the motherboard devices. My personal favorite is the Ethernet card that decides to use region 0000 through blah. 0000 is used by the interrupt controller, I believe. You can MANUALLY assign the RAM regions. IRQs are another story.

3) Reboot into Windows. The problem should be cleared. If not, back into safe mode and double check.

4) If it still doesn't work, remove all cards except the video card, and readd them until you hit the error again. Then you'll know what card's doing it.

Just my $0.02.

------------------
                          Primary System: PIII-540 (450@4.5x120), Soyo 6BA+ III, 256MB PC100 ECC SDRAM, G400 MAX in multi-monitor mode. Two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitors, 3Com 3C905, SoundBlaster 32, Altec Lansing AC5 spkrs, 2nd Parallel Port, WD AC41800 18GB HD, WD AC310100 10GB HD, Toshiba XM-6102b CD-ROM, HP 8100i CD-RW, Epson Stylus Pro, Sharp JX-9400 LJ-II compatible, OptiUPS PowerES 650, MS SideWinder Precision Pro USB joystick, Logitech 3-button mouse, Mitsumi keyboard, Win98 SE, Belkin OmniCube 4-port KVM

Secondary System: PII-266, Asus P2B BIOS 1008, 128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM, Millennium II, 3Com 3C590, ADSL Modem 640kbit down/90kbit up, 3Com 3C509, Mylex BT-930 SCSI card, Seagate 2GB Hawk, NEC 6x CD-ROM, Linux distro S.u.S.E. 6.1 (IP Masquerade works!)

Tertiary System: DFI G568IPC Intel 430HX chipset, P200MMX, 96MB of non-parity RAM, Millennium II, 3Com 3C900, SoundBlaster 16 MCD, Fujitsu 3.5GB HD, WD 1.2GB HD, Hollywood Plus DVD decoder card, Toshiba 6x DVD-ROM, OS of the week

All specs subject to change.
                          The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                          The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                          The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

yeah great thats my reason for running HL in d3d mode too... (you dont have to reboot to disable multiple monitor), but wouldnt it be great to have OpenGL working, while still in multiple monitor mode? Is this a ICD problem, or just a Microsoft problem?!
                            Co-Webmaster of The Matrox Sphere
                            Enter The Sphere:
                            go.to\matroxsphere

Athlon 700, 256Mb 7ns CAS2 RAM, MSI K7-Pro, 10.8Gb Maxtor Diamondmax UDMA, SBLive! 1024 Player + Soundworks FPS1000, Iomega ATAPI Zip drive, Pioneer slot-in 36x SCSI CD-ROM drive, Yamaha CDRW4001t 4xWriter, 56k external modem, Winbond PCI NIC/Etherlink III ISA NIC, {bold}G400 DualHead 32Mb[/bold], Iiyama Vision Master Pro450 19' Diamondtron NF

Comment

I have a G200 and I also agree that I like OGL better, but I have one complaint (not enough to even call it a problem). Certain textures, like the EXIT sign in the tram at the beginning of the game. Maybe I have something set up wrong?

Bill
                              People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

Working...
                              X