NFS High stakes, Unreal & halflife probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFS High stakes, Unreal & halflife probs

Unreal (v225f) (especially the Mission pack 1) and Half life both seem to have Z-buffer problems on my G400DH. Some textures are fighting to be in front of eachother. Need for speed High stakes also seems to have some problems: some textures appear in strange colors (the sky) and the loading-screens appear to exist out of small pieces of textures. In some games pixels appear at the edges of textures. Does anyone have the same problems? Or more important: does anyone know how to fix these problems? (Could a G400 bios update help??)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am using:

Athlon 500
    MSI 6167 mobo, AWARD bios v1.2
    128 MB SDRAM
    20GB Maxtor DiamondMax+ 7200rpm UDMA-66
    G400 DH 32MB (using v5.30 drivers and DX7)
    SB Live! Value
    NCR810 SCSI controller
    Plextor PX-40TSi 40x CDROM drive (SCSI, ID:0)
    Jaz drive 1GB (SCSI, ID:3)

Those games all work fine for me. Well NFS4 is a bit slow as it is a "GLide at heart" game and it's d3d is not too cool. But everything else is nice. I have heard of some K7 people having trouble with these early Athlon motherboards tho, so that might be it. How clean are your OS install,drivers and Dx7? Sometimes these screw up. Hope ya get it sorted, dude(ette?)

------------------
    AssuP2B ,iCeleron337, 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Yamaha PCI sound, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.30 w/beta ICD

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Unreal, that's normal. Unreal is way too buggy and doesn't work well no matter what card you have. Unreal is only somewhat enjoyable on the 3dfx cards using Glide, but even then there are quite a few graphical glitches.
      Well, why bother? Epic got their act toghether and Unreal Tournament has solid D3D support which runs very well on the G400.

In Half-Life, that's also normal to encounter some texture fighting RARELY (contrary to OFTEN in Unreal), usually in the distance. In HL, this also happens on all the cards, including 3dfx. It is probably due to some limitation of the Quake 1 engine, as I only saw this problem with Q1 and HL.

NFSHS, on the other hand, should be pretty much perfect.

As far as I know, there isn't a newer BIOS yet for the G400s. The shipping version is the latest.

Comment

Thanx for the help guys.

I guess I'll ask my retailer if they can check if the mobo could be a problem. I still got some USB and shutdown probs too, so I was planning to return the system to them anyway.
        Bohrn: do you know those people with a K7? If so, could you ask them if they had any problems running Photoshop 5.5 and Turbo pascal 7.0 programs?

Comment

Working...
        X