No announcement yet.

A few games and graphics problems.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few games and graphics problems.....

Mechwarrior 3 -
    For some reason, every time I play I get a little box in the middle of the screen that is black and white striped like the bottom half of the american flag....This happens with all versions (1.0,1.1,1.2), on Directx 6.1 or 7, and with either a G200 or G400 on either a P5A/K63 or a MSI6167/Athlon500. It doesn't show up as quick when I use a lower amount of textures, but doesn't show up at all on my Voodoo2 card.....btw, also used Powerdesk 5.11, 5.21, 5.30, 5.41.

Need for Speed : High Stakes -
    Runs so horribly slow on my G400 at any resolution (even 640x480!) but works great on my voodoo2 again....

Homeworld -
    Works fine in D3d as long as Background Effects is disabled, if enabled, locks up on certain missions constantly. OpenGL locks up constantly on the same missions that lock up with d3d's backdground effects enabled, but still locks up when disabled in opengl.

I won't even say what Homeworld looks like on my voodoo2 (blech!)

And what's the system you try these games on?? Specs, IRQ and BIOS/drivers...

Oh, btw, you do know a G400 and a Voodoo2 don't always work together? Check the reame.txt for your latest drivers (5.41??).

Jord, who hasn't played NFSHS in a long time !!

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 25 December 1999).]
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hi Vangaurdian1,

Sorry I don't have a solution, but I had the very same, annoying small black box with white lines in MechWarrior3. For me it wasn't there all the time, usually just after I'd bump into a lancemate, building, etc. (ok, so my mechwarrior piloting skills are limited). I ended up just pretending it was part of my damage and played on....actually finished the game (a rarity for me!). Note our set ups are very different.

However, I have been playing Homeworld a few days with every thing cranked up and without a single problem. Maybe I haven't gotten into it far enough.

------------------
      ------------------------
      PIII450 => 504 MHz, Asus P2B, G400MAX, PowerDesk 5.30, Aureal SQ 2500 (Vortex2), Klipsch Promedia V2.400 speakers, DirectX 7.0, Adaptec AHA-2940U2W and Fireport40 Dual UW SCSI controllers, Quantum Atlas 10K and WD Enterprise HDs, Plextor UtraPlex Wide, S&F 4012 CDR, the last ISA modem, etc.

[This message has been edited by Johnny Ray (edited 25 December 1999).]

Comment

I have the same exact thing (black box a little off the center of the screen to the right) show up randomly on my TV-Out (not on the monitor, tho.). I had it with Drakan (D3D game) and with "Balls of Steel pinball", also D3D. Its always enough to restart the game, to get rid of them.

Hope this helpes!

------------------
        AMD K6-2 400 (Not OCd)
        64 MB SDRAM
        FIC VIA 503+ (MVP3) Mobo with AGP 2x
        MATROX Millenium G400 32Mb DualHead (not OCd)
        32X Max LG CDRom
        A3D 1.0 "Multiwave" Sound Card
        4Gb Fujitsu HDD
        Windows 98

AMD K6-2 400 (Not OCd)
        128 MB SDRAM
        FIC VIA 503+ (MVP3) Mobo with AGP 2x
        MATROX Millenium G400 32Mb DualHead (not OCd)
        32X Max LG CDRom
        A3D 1.0 "Multiwave" Sound Card
        40Gb WD HDD
        Windows 98SE
        DirectX 8

Comment

Johnny Ray, it started locking up on the mission near the supernova with all of the radiation....I could play every mission in OpenGL until that mission. I can't remember specifically what missions it locks up in after that however (gimme a break, I only beat it with both species! )

Hehe...that last time the Emperor didn't stand a chance, I had 20+ Destroyers + 7 Missle Destroyers + 18 Multibeam Frigates + 8 Ion Array Frigates + 12 Support Frigates defending my mothership. My attack group was 50 Ion Frigates with 17 Assault Frigates as support! (They took out 4 Heavy Cruisers in less than a minute and 1 loss )

Btw, for the b&w boxes, alt-tabbing out of the game then tabbing back in also gets rid of it, but never-the-less, it's still a pain in the arse!

Comment

hey i have too, this problem but making an alt tab solved the problem most of time (when the game foes not crash pp) do you know there is a difference in this game if you are using athlon/k6 or Intel, menus are beautifull, with scrolling background and wave force (i call it like that) effect on buttons when using the game on an intel platform.. when i was playing it on my k6-2 300 i thought my cpu was too weak but it's the same with athlon... there is a stupid detection scheme.. or perhaps a patch upgrade (did not look after) !

well that's all ))

happy Xmas

Ken

Comment

Hey KennySP, go to www.mechwarrior3.com and grab the 1.2 patch, I got the cool background and effects after installing this patch...

Comment

There is a registry hack that makes the G400 run NFSHS beautifully up to 1024x768@32bit, but damned if I can remember where I found it or what it is. Try searching the old messages for NFS and see what turns up.
                Never eat anything bigger than your head.

Comment

Now this is interesting....I just picked up Mechwarrior 3 : Pirate's Moon (which uses a slightly upgraded graphics engine of mech3 and I do not get any problems. Net even a little mis-placed pixel. This rocks! I'm running at 1280x1024 no problem, thinking of trying 1600x1200

Comment

Found it!

--snip--

check in the d3dsetup if it's chosen the right videocard (being the G400)
                    If it didn't, check in the registry that on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ELECTRONIC ARTS\3D DATA\CARD6 it shows Group "D3D" and Name "Matrox G400"
                    If anything else shows there, change it to Matrox G400.

--snip--

Jorden.

Never eat anything bigger than your head.

Comment

Thanks, Jorden. I'll try it in a little bit.

Man, you guys have GOT to see Mechwarrior 3 : Pirate's Moon at 1600x1200 FULL GRAPHICS BABY!!!! I swear, this game looks spectacular!

Comment

Working...
                      X