Win2000 good for gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2000 good for gaming?

I actually have Win98,and I use it without any particular problem.
    Is worth to install Win2000?
    Will I have speed increase or not (=are G400 drivers faster)? What about compatibility?
    I have a P3 600, 128mb and an oc'd G400.
    Thank you.

I'm running Windows 2000 on the following system:
    AMD Athlon 600mhz
    Asus K7M mobo
    128MB Micron PC-100 ram
    Matrox G400 Max
    SB Live! X-Gamer

I can run UT, Q3A, and Delta Force 2 without any problems. That's not guarantee it will work for you, but know that it is possible. Performance was just as good as it was on Win98.

Comment

Win2K is the upgrade for NT not for Win98. NT never was a gaming system. I can't imagine 2K is much better.
      Bill

Comment

Win2K is great for OpenGL, but Bill's right about all the other games.

------------------
        The BEST is reserved for the long haul!

EPox-7KXA, Athlon 600--o/c 687, 128MB PC100, G400/32/DH, AHA-2940AU, Aureal SQ2500, Linksys LNE100TX(ADSLx640K--don't tell 'em it's not 256K!), WD20.5/ATA66, WD2.1/ATA33, PanasonicCD-ROM, Yamaha 6x4x16(SCSI), Zip100(SCSI), Ditto2G(anyone want it?), Win98SE, Linux Mandrake 7.0, OS/2 Warp 4.0, PC DOS 7, etc.
        The BEST is reserved for the long haul!

EPox-7KXA, Athlon 600--PC125 and PC133; 256
        G400/32/DH, AHA-2940AU, Aureal SQ2500, Linksys LNE100TX(ADSLx640K--don't tell 'em it's not 256K!), WD20.5/ATA66, WD2.1/ATA33, PanasonicCD-ROM, Yamaha 6x4x16(SCSI), Zip100(SCSI), Ditto2G(anyone want it?), Win98SE, Linux Mandrake 7.0, OS/2 Warp 4.0, PC DOS 7, etc.

Comment

If you've got a G400, don't even bother with Windows 2000. It's a f*ucking nightmare... look at the Matrox Tech Support Forum.
          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
          Travis L. Knodel
          ICQ 5570732

Abit BP6
          Dual Celeron 366@523 Mhz
          Matrox G400 16MB SH
          IBM ATA66 15.2 GB HD w/ 2MB cache
          WD UDMA33 4.3 GB POS HD
          Acer 40X CD Rom
          Memorex 1622 2x2x6 CD-RW
          Internal NEC Zip100
          Netgear 10/100 Ethernet
          Diamond Monster Sound MX300
          Altec Lansing ACS 295
          Proview 17" Monitor
          224 MBs generic PC100 RAM

Comment

It really depends on your hardware. On _my_ machine, Windows 2000 is a BETTER gaming platform than Win98 ever was. However, that's MY machine, and some of the machines at work crash at the slightest mention of the word "game" under Win2k. It really really depends on your hardware - your motherboard, your cards... EVERYTHING.

Now that I've said that - once better drivers are out, more people will find Win2k to be a satisfying gaming solution. Until then, stick with Win98 if you wanna play.

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm finding Win2000 to be an excellent gaming platform.
              OK, a few of my games refuse point blank to run because they detect 'WindowsNT' and decide they wont run because DirectX 6 can't possible be installed under WinNT :-)

Intel Pentium III 500
              Intel SE440BX-2 Mobo
              384MB Samsung Ram
              Matrox G400 MAX
              SB Live! Value

As has been said in this thread, the majority of problems are driver related.
              For example, Grand Theft Auto 2 runs fine on my PC, however some VooDoo & TNT users can't even get the game to run.
              It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
              Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

First of all I second Gurms' statement. One thing you have to remember though, Win2000 isn't exactly the upgrade to NT. Rather it is, but thats not all it is. Win2000 was originally slated to be the upgrade to both NT and 98. Microsoft discoverd however that Joe User wasn't ready for "NT", it was too scary, and businesses didn't want something that was the "upgrade" to 98.

And so 2000 has been redubbed the upgrade to NT, and windows Millenium is the upgrade to 98.

As to NT not being a gaming platform, thats only because it still had DX3. 2000 has DX7. Please tell me how this does not make it a good gaming platform. If you're still accepting the marketing crap that comes from MS that it isn't a gaming platform, or that it isn't a home user platform, then you are sorely deluded. It's hundereds of times more stable than 98 and just as easy to use.

Sorry if I sound a bit snappy, but I've heard this argument hundereds of times now and it's just not true that 2000 isn't a home user OS.

HedsSpaz
                Primary System:
                MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                Seccondary System:
                Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                Tertiary system
                Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Good points Headspaz. In my opinion, Win2000 is easier to use and install. I installed it as both an upgrade to Win98 and as a stand alone, and for the most part, Win2000 setup everthing on its own. I was really impressed by the network settings which allowed me to connect to my home network without changing much of anything. The only device Win2000 didn't detect was my G400 and that was easily resolved via a downloaded driver. Win2000 can get very complicated if you use every feature (security mostly) it has. But if you use it just like you would Win98, its a much faster and more stable OS if you have the right hardware of course.

Comment

Three or four other guys I work with have various models of G400 card AND are running either Win2K exclusively, or are still dual-booting. We're a mix of Athlon, PIII, PII, etc.

I don't mean to be inflammatory, but NOBODY I know has had ANY problems with a G400 on Win2K.

Who are the 'tards that ARE?

What would be GREAT is that when people have problems, they first determine if its THEIR OWN INEPTITUDE, and THEN question their hardware.

[This message has been edited by Fogduck (edited 12 March 2000).]
                    - --- -- --- - - -- - ----- - ---
                    P3-600
                    128MB
                    G400-TV
                    (everything else is incidental)

Comment

I TOTALLY agree dog. Unfortunately alot of people don't dare think that the problem is THEM most think that it just HAS to be the hardware. My favorite saying: 90% of computer problems are caused by the user. Hmmm...although with all the work I've been doing lately I'm thinking about changing that to 100%.

------------------
                      C:\DOS
                      C:\DOS\RUN
                      \RUN\DOS\RUN
                      \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Wow,
                        I've just spent 5 hours trying to get win2k (rc2) to work on my K7-500 oc'd @750 system. No go..I even took a clean hdd and tried a clean install..no go, installed 98 and tried and upgrade..no go, installed 98 and tried a dual boot...no go. I then took the hdd, cleaned it up and installed it in my K6400 and win2k installed like a dream. I really want to use win2k in my K7 system....can amyone give me a lttle advice as to what's going wrong. I was getting stop cammands left and right and they were always different. My patience has been used up for the next day or so but I'd sure like to get this thing going with win2k...any ideas?
                        thanks
                        j

Comment

Ummm...Get the full ver of NT5?
                          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Hey jw, the first problem is that you are using rc2. The second problem would be that, well, you are using rc2. And the third problem, um, you are using rc2.

Now, in case you haven't noticed a trend here, the point is that rc2 is not stable, it is not the release version not was it meant to be, and finally, it's not supported by anybody. Now, I'm not trying to be rude here, but there is absolutely no excuse to be using rc2 anymore, and if you insist on doing so, then 1.) don't expect anything to work even close to 100%, and 2.) don't expect to get support from anyone.
                            Thats just the way it is. If you try installing the retail version and still have trouble, then there are plenty of people here that would be more than willing to give you a hand.

HedsSpaz
                            Primary System:
                            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                            Seccondary System:
                            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                            Tertiary system
                            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

No prob,
                              I'm picking it up later this week. Hope it installs with no trouble. I was hoping to be certain it would work before getting the latest. So was I just lucky that it loaded perfectly to my K6-400 system?
                              j

Comment

Working...
                              X