Q3 crashes on max textures, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q3 crashes on max textures, help!

This problem is really annoying, it happens only when I put 32bit textures and set the bar to max... it crashes right after the "awaiting snapshot" message at the loading screen...

When I put the textures to 16bit and max detail, it only crashes on certain maps whilst on 32 bit it always crashes...

This is very anoying, it also happens in all the other Q3 engine games (Star Trek Elite force and Heavy Metal2 FAKK)

Please help me...

------------------
    Duron 600
    Gigabyte GA7ZX
    128meg pc100
    G400 (non-max)
    Duron 600
    Gigabyte GA7ZX
    128meg pc100
    G400 (non-max)

So THAT's why Q3 crashes on me....not that I play it much though.

(UT!UT!UT!)

Gigabyte 7IXE (AMD Irongate)
    2x128mb PC133 (generic)
    G400 Mini-Max
    WinME

Comment

This problem has to do with AGP aperture size, system RAM, and drivers, that in a certain configuration result in a crash when textures are maxed out.

What driver set are you using, default ICD or TurboGL?

I think the problem is having the AGP aperture set to 256, which is needed to run TurboGL. Running the ICD with the aperture less than 256 I could get the max texture setting to work (at least with 16 bit textures, didn't try 32 due to performance hit). However, once I upgraded ram from 128 to 256, I can use the 256 AGP aperture setting for TurboGL and use max texture detail.

So if your aperture is at 256 and you are using the ICD, set it to 128 or 64.

Comment

Working...
      X