No announcement yet.

Time to change the [MU] server to DM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let put on DM for a trial period. DM is much better for the small number of players (2-4)that I see when I am on (usually 2200-2330 est). My $0.02.

Rocket_Bait
    Rocket_Bait
    Never met a high velocity explosive projectile that I didn't get in the way of!

Comment

Big fan of DM-takes fewer people-whenever I look up the MGI server it is always empty. I'd be willing to take my 235+ ping to the mat for some DM!
      AMD 2500XP @ 2.3 GHz
      512 MB DDR PC3700 DChann
      ATI Radeon 9800 Pro now (s'alright)
      SB Live 5.1 Value
      80GB Drive

Comment

I'm surprised no one mentioned the obvious

It's set for DM now:

Haig

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by Haig:
          I'm surprised no one mentioned the obvious
          <HR>

OK, I don't have a clue!!!!!!!
          Oboy
          Time to make the wafers!
          Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
          jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

Obvious huh? Hmmm, well, the only obvious solution that I can think of, is to put up a second server. I don't suppose by some random stroke of fate and blessings by the porcelain gods that that's possible is it Haig?

Heh, I doubt thats the obvious thing your talking about anyway, my real geuss is that the obvious remark is in response to which tech is going to work the gravyard shift, and the answer would seem to be you.

Ian
            Dakkon
            Primary System:
            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
            Seccondary System:
            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
            Tertiary system
            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

The "obvious" thing must not be so obvious. My guess is that we could use the server (in its current CTF state) as a "team DM" if we all agree to ignore the flags? If that was the "obvious" then we would have to get the bots to comply. Obviously I don't know what the obvoius answer is. Are we close?

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

5 minutes ago, the UT server browser said, that the server is still ctf.

By the way, what do you think of Domination. I think it's in the middle between tactical team game (like ctf) and deathmatch.Could be a compromise.

I vote for setting the server to domination!

------------------
                Pentium3 500Mhz
                64MB Ram
                Matrox Millennium G200 (8MB), PD 5.41, grafic-bios 2.6 -20
                Sony CRX-100E CD-writer
                Toshiba SD-M1202 DVD-Rom
                Pentium3 500Mhz
                192MB Ram
                Matrox Millennium G200(8MB)

Comment

The most obvious would be that Haig looked up from his LAN-laptop in DM mode, and thought he saw the server

The best obvious for us was to just ask and petition for it.

The least obvious was my option above...

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Just got through playing on the server for about an hour. Four of us were there -- had a great time... but it still very much resembles CTF.
                    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

If the machine is powerful enough, simply run both a CTF and DM server on the box.

My UT CTF and HL DM servers run off the same machine - 216.254.99.199. It's a PIII-450 at 504, w/256MB RAM, hanging off a 1.1Mbit SDSL link. No problems, that I've seen (the HL server's acting a little cranky - think it's due for an upgrade).

Just my $0.02
                      The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                      The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                      The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

The remote admin that comes with UT

To access it, set yourself up as a server and the goto http://ipaddy/ServerAdmin/

Haig

Comment

Haig,
                          Your link didn't work for me!
                          I did a search and it seems to be very straightforward on how to acess the server from the net. So my next question would be are you going to won't to do this or do you have somthing else in mind?

Oboy
                          Time to make the wafers!
                          Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

Comment

Haig, what's the deal with all of these cryptic messages? I love guessing games as much as the next guy, but I would like to know what you are getting at. Is there a way that WE can change it to DM, or is that your way of telling us to shut up and start our own server if we don't like MGI? Please help. We need clues.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

Hehe,

I wouldn't say that Kindness.

Rather than using the remote admin software to switch from one type of match to another, I just wanted to know if there was a script to do this automatically, say, 1 day have it set for DM, next day have it set for CTF, etc rather than doing this at work.

Oboy - Don't know if you are doing something wrong or not but you can goto
                              http://204.50.135.80/ServerAdmin/

and you'll end up at our game server eventhough you won't be able to get in.

Haig

Comment

LOL
                                Sorry Haig! I thought that it was a link for info on remote admin!!!

Oboy
                                Time to make the wafers!
                                Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

Comment

Working...
                                X