UT's second CD!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maggi:
    Further the G400 does not support palletized textures a.f.a.i.k. and therefore you should set it to UsePalette=0 in order to make it more comparable to the G400 and most likely get a lot more details on your screen.

Besides tha I still didn't have the time to reinstall UT and thus I couldn't check out whether the G400 can use those S3TC textures or not.
    Anybody found out yet whether the textures itself are stored uncompressed ?
    Disabling palettes will not improve detail since the textures are stored paletted on disk (those .utx files are just a bunch of .pcx files put together in one file).

Haven't checked the S3TC textures but probably they are stored like the rest of the textures. However, if you were to run with these textures uncompressed on a G400 you'll see a big performance hit, even if you were able to fit them into texture memory. The G400 has (if my very scientific researching is correct ) like 64KB texture cache (I founded this out when I saw the huge performance hit when rendering with a 512x512 texture over a 256x256 texture).

Comment

oooops ... LOL

my comment about improved details was meant to accompany the raised texture dimensions and not the colordepth of textures ... ... D'oh !

Thanx for feedback, Humus !!!

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

np

Comment

Originally posted by DosFreak:
          The ONLY supported API's In the new Unreal Engine will be OpenGL and D3D.
          No software
          I know software is horrible power wise, but at least it runs on everything.

I guess that is the price payed for skeletal animation, S3TC, EMBM, integrated BSP and terrain engines, ... , etc ...

P.S.
          Thanks for the FAQ Dark.

Comment

Well, I tried to implement s3tc on my machine with a g400_DH 16mb. The game ran, but no textures at all showed up! I could see shades of pastel colors, and mostly white shapes, with lighting effects as the characters moved around. Big squares where smoke should be. The speed wasn't too bad, though. I d'led the ogl driver, backed up my old textures, installed the new textures from the second cd, and patched the ini file. Even tried turning on and off some of the lines, like detail textures to false, precaching, etc. No changes, although it ran faster in some cases. What I'd like to is how do you change the vsync and refresh rate settings for opengl games, I'm running w2k. Nayaman

Comment

Ok i had a bit of time to do the Win2k part of the tests. sorry there will be no 16 bit color test heh we all know that the G400 and the GTS run 32 good enough to play in . to gain these scores i went to the console and typed the following:
              timedemo 1 [enter]
              open cityintro [enter]
              remove console and press ESC and it runs the demo.

Before S3TC
              1280x1024@32- 32fps
              1024x768@32- 35fps

*Note as i watch the city intro there was noticable stuttering but not as bad as it used to be.

With S3TC
              1280x1024@32- 33fps
              1024x768@32- 35fps

*Note fps was a little more consitant and looked smoother.

All these tests were run on the following system:

2xIntel Celeron 500's@533
              2x128MB ECC PC100
              Hercules Prophet II 64MB GTS running the Herc 5.22 Win2k drivers
              SB LIVE! with Win2k Liveware3
              In the background running (in system tray) i had Memturbo, ICQ, Taskmanager, AudioHQ (part of Liveware3), IntelliMouse Icon (i use a MS IntelliMouse Explorer USB), DirectCD. At the time of the tests i had about 170MB Free of my 256MB total.

nayman from what you described you did not reinstall UT from scratch with the intent to use the S3 Textures. From what people have said on other forums this can cause your problem. So i suggest going back through and following the mini-faq i wrote on how to do it from scratch. It is a long process but it will be the only way i can help you out. When i tried to just add the S3TC support to my current UT install i could not even get UT to run...

To the rest hopfully some other time this weekend i will have time to boot in to Win98 and run the tests there. If people want i can also run the tests with the default Epic OGL.dll just to see if there is actually a speed increase/decrease. and no problem High_Jumbllama.

Dark

Comment

You should record your own demos. It's more accurate.

[This message has been edited by DosFreak (edited 08 October 2000).]
                C:\DOS
                C:\DOS\RUN
                \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Working...
                X