Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who said it's faulty, it's correct.

Comment

Geez... Lame pot shots like that don't solve problems.

Now, if anyone noticed... it seems that you have tooo many resources using the same IRQ. Lets leave PnP alone for a second, and attempt to sort out the IRQ listings in the BIOS.

(As I am writing this I am using the CUSL2 manual from the taiwanese web site -- Why did Award go ahead and buy Pheneoix Bios?!?)

Anyway, from the BIOS menuing system choose ADVANCED, and select PCI CONFIGURATION.
      (What do the SLOT 1~6 Say?? I Hope they don't all say IRQ9) Reguardless, Instead of trying to let the PC allocate the PCI Slots, we are going to force what IRQ is in each slot.

Now I am going to assume that Slot 1/5 = AGP/PCI Shared slot - set that to 11
      Slot 2 you will want to keep at 9 in the hopes of maintaining LiveWare Install. (Keep your fingers crossed on that one.)
      Slot 4 choose either 10, 5, or 3, just make sure not to share it with any other PCI device. OK Lets Recap:

Slot 1/5: IRQ11 (G400)
      Slot 2: IRQ9 (Soundblaster Live)
      Slot 3: AUTO or unused IRQ (eg IRQ3)
      Slot 4: IRQ5 (Etherlink)
      Slot 6: AUTO or unused IRQ (eg IRQ3)

Since you are already here, if you can, change your VGA sequence to AGP/PCI, ensuring that the motherboard inits the AGP slot first.

Now reboot and see if that helps solve your problem. I will not know if you will need to install drivers or not (I doubt it, But I am not sure).

I also don't recommend it at this point, but you might want to check to see if your BIOS is telling Win2K that it has PCI 2.1 support in the ADVANCED - CHIP CONFIGURATION part of the bios.

As always, good luck. And I hope that this has the possibility of helping.

PeterV

------------------
      Abit BH6 r1.01
      Celeron2-566 o/c to 850MHz+Slotket!!! 1.8v
      256 Megs PC-133 Cas3
      Matrox G400 SH OEM (not oc'd) rev=03h
      Diamond Monster Sound MX400
      ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

Afterthought... (after scanning the previous threads)
        Have you tried downloading an Intel Chipset driver from developer.intel.com for Win2K? i815E being a relativitely new chipset, perhaps a AGP driver update is in order. You can find them in http://developer.intel.com under software chipset drivers.

Also - I didn't see a place in the BIOS to force an AGP 1x,2x,4x mode. If you know of one, or have seen one, perhaps forcing AGP 2x might help prevent texture corruption.

Anyway, good luck.
        PeterV

------------------
        Abit BH6 r1.01
        Celeron2-566 o/c to 850MHz+Slotket!!! 1.8v
        256 Megs PC-133 Cas3
        Matrox G400 SH OEM (not oc'd) rev=03h
        Diamond Monster Sound MX400
        ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

Rags:
          I have seen that page, and the "bugs" there are from previous drivers.
          I agree that I am not that fast with updating after a new driver release... however, tell me which ones are fixed in the current drivers, since as far as I can see, all the ones still listed show up on my system.

Galvin:
          Like I said many times the huge texture corruption can only be caught if you /kill your self enough time on that one particular map and spawn in that spot then it will appear, but if you move it clears right up.
          No, you're not crazy, cause that IS a bug in the drivers. However, you won't notice it often, because it only happens once every 100 spawns or something, and sometimes it is even too small corruption to notice. It's also very difficult to reproduce, cause it isn't consistant in showing up.

And the corruption like this:

is also in the current driver. And yes, it IS a driver bug, because it was almost not appearant with the PD5.04 drivers and got gradually worse with the PD5.10 and a lot worse wit the PD5.14 drivers (and it's still the same as in the PD5.20). Changin back to PD5.04 fixes it again.

It only shows up in a few places in every map, under certain agles and distances from the wall... if you're not playing a couple of hours after another really looking for this bug, you won't notice it (but it's still annoying, because if you know where and when you'll get them, you start 'seeing' them all the time).

If these were you're only problems, than why are you thinking it is a hardware prob? Just wait for new drivers...

Edit: messed up links

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 14 December 2000).]

Comment

I just played a bit with q3a, and found a reliable way to reproduce the 'spawn-corruption' problem. The corruption wasn't as inconsistant as I thought in the first place. It happens at the same spawn spots all the time, and looks the same too most of the time.

Reproduction info:
            - load map q3dm6 (without any bots and stuff please)
            - bind a key to the 'kill' command, to respawn easier. Like '\bind k kill' in the console.
            - Press that key, and then press ctrl key or another key you use for 'fire'. Don't move or use a mousebutton to spawn, because even the slightest movement or looking direction gets rid of the corruption!
            - The three spots that have the corruption:
            1. The plasmagun spawn. Very slight corruption here http://dzeus.student.utwente.nl/g400...q3a_spawn1.jpg
            2. The spawn that looks at the jumppad to the RL. Quite a bit of corruption here http://dzeus.student.utwente.nl/g400...q3a_spawn2.jpg
            3. The spawn under 'the walkway towards the RL'. Huge screencorruption here! http://dzeus.student.utwente.nl/g400...q3a_spawn3.jpg

Note: I have yet to test this on a GeForce, to see if it's really the drivers and not q3a itself.

Update: if I set cg_fov back to it's default 90, I don't get the corruption at the plasmagun any more.. seems like cg_fov 120 makes it easier to get the spawn-corruption. However, I get screencorruption with cg_fov 90 at the other spots _every_ time...

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 14 December 2000).]

Comment

Image from Galvin

Spazm
              P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

same kind of corruption as my second link (in fact, the same spawn spot).

I don't think it is a config problem (maybe a driver bug which is config dependant to a certain degree).

Comment

Originally posted by 2Whyzzi:
                  Geez... Lame pot shots like that don't solve problems.

Now, if anyone noticed... it seems that you have tooo many resources using the same IRQ. Lets leave PnP alone for a second, and attempt to sort out the IRQ listings in the BIOS.

(As I am writing this I am using the CUSL2 manual from the taiwanese web site -- Why did Award go ahead and buy Pheneoix Bios?!?)

Anyway, from the BIOS menuing system choose ADVANCED, and select PCI CONFIGURATION.
                  (What do the SLOT 1~6 Say?? I Hope they don't all say IRQ9) Reguardless, Instead of trying to let the PC allocate the PCI Slots, we are going to force what IRQ is in each slot.

Now I am going to assume that Slot 1/5 = AGP/PCI Shared slot - set that to 11
                  Slot 2 you will want to keep at 9 in the hopes of maintaining LiveWare Install. (Keep your fingers crossed on that one.)
                  Slot 4 choose either 10, 5, or 3, just make sure not to share it with any other PCI device. OK Lets Recap:

Slot 1/5: IRQ11 (G400)
                  Slot 2: IRQ9 (Soundblaster Live)
                  Slot 3: AUTO or unused IRQ (eg IRQ3)
                  Slot 4: IRQ5 (Etherlink)
                  Slot 6: AUTO or unused IRQ (eg IRQ3)

Since you are already here, if you can, change your VGA sequence to AGP/PCI, ensuring that the motherboard inits the AGP slot first.

Now reboot and see if that helps solve your problem. I will not know if you will need to install drivers or not (I doubt it, But I am not sure).

I also don't recommend it at this point, but you might want to check to see if your BIOS is telling Win2K that it has PCI 2.1 support in the ADVANCED - CHIP CONFIGURATION part of the bios.

As always, good luck. And I hope that this has the possibility of helping.

PeterV
                  It's suppose to be using same IRQ, that's what ACPI means. Advance Configuration Power Interface. Screw it I am not changing any more IRQ's around or anything, since I have other people that chave backuped my claim on this thread there is no need to go thru rediculus things like spending two days to reinstall win2K.

Now to answer your questions, in Bios 1003 final, actually it existed in bios 1002 final as well you can set agp speed, which I have set to 2X. No need to force IRQ's since I am using ACPI and I have PnP OS turned to ON. And if you read earlier in this thread you know that I am not using slots that share with other used slots.

Comment

TO Dzeus: The flashing on the walls that is the most anoying because I see it ALL the time on nearly every map as I am running thru hallways and stuff. Also I forgot the map name but you have colored outlines on lights that only appear if you look at the head on. What is weird with that one is sometimes they don't appear like if I create my own game with no bots I sometimes get the corruption of the lights and sometimes don't. But in multiplayer I get it ALL the time just on that one map.

Comment

Man,you make obnoxiousness an artform.
                      Just use Norton Ghost or some such to back up your partition and try out all suggestions so helpfully posted here. Just do it.
                      And remember Galvin ; it's allright to be anally retentive, nothing wrong with that.
                      bruce c. sucks

Comment

You assume I have something to backup to and I don't. I have 30gig partition. I would have to do the following.
                        1. Use partition magic to shrink the partition down by say 15gigs.
                        2. Create a second partition of 5 gigs, just enough to install a 2nd copy of win2K.
                        3. Install win2K on the 2nd partition.

And I may just do that to prove a point to the Gurm and Rags that they are wrong and me and other people who get the corruptions are right. If I was the SOLE AND ONLY PERSON that had texture corruptions then I would say it's my system but others get the same problems I do who are using different system configrations.

Well after thinking for a bit I went out and bought a 2nd HD a smaller one for just backups etc. What I am going to do is do a fresh install of win2K on this new drive, then install the 815E stuff from intel which hasn't been updated since it came out, then install the ATA drivers from intel, then install matrox, then Quake3. I expect the texture corruption problems to still be there. I am doing this just to prove a point because this whole thing is pissing me off and I just want to say yeah I did a fresh install and the bugs are still there, the end.

[This message has been edited by Galvin (edited 14 December 2000).]

Comment

? 15gig+5gig=20gig that leaves 10 gig blank ?

It's always a good idea to have at least two partitions, *especially* when you have no backup medium , so you can separate system and data.

I hotwired my motherboard (abit lx6) for more power to the agp slot, put a fan on my g400 and installed an extra fan in my case before I got a stable system, alot of work only to play some games ; making an extra partition to try out some tips doesn't seem too much work.

1. Shrink partition
                          2. Make second partion
                          3. Back up on second partition
                          4. Format first partition
                          5. Install OS,Drivers,Q3
                          6. Try suggestions offered by knowledgeable people
                          7. If it sucketh still put back old OS
                          8. Note that list of possible sources of trouble is markedly shorter
                          9. Have a beer (*assuming* you drink beer)
                          bruce c. sucks

Comment

Posted before I saw your edited version.
                            Well good for you, if I may make another (less flippant) suggestion :

1st HD : system, apps, MP3s
                            2nd HD : virtual memory, data , backup
                            Cluster size 8k for both disks.

You should see quite some speed improvement.
                            bruce c. sucks

Comment

The second drive I don't plan to use a perminate drive just for temporary stuff like this crap. Or if I ever have to reinstall my OS I have a place to back it up to.

Anyways My main drive is still the boot device this is the way win2K wanted to install on my second drive. Both drives are NTFS. On the smaller drive 15gigs I installed win2k, then 815E stuff from intel, then the ATA drivers from intel, then I installed matrox drivers, then quake3, then updated it to 1.17 patch. And I got the same exact curroption in the textures. So it took 115 bucks plus two hours to prove a point.

Oh and the IRQ list is EXACTLY the same on my win2k on my second drive as it is on the first as I expected. And PnP os was already turned on. I think I proved enough that this is a bug in the drivers and not my system

Comment

Galvin. You obviously didn't read a single thing that was written in this thread, except for what you wanted to.

If your IRQ's are the same, then you didn't listen.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                                X