Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the 256mb parhelia compare to ati radeon pro 9700?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You took your time Greebe
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Greebe I wanted a Pharhelia actually I wated for it.... But from what I hear it's a big dissapointment for what you get for that huge price tag .... So I went to buy the ATI 9700Pro....

Comment

greebe small question, do you know if the fog bug (medal of honor,...) fixed
        Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

yer i have the same problem its not to do with the fog though more witht the snow maps they fash white when i look around
          makes it imposible to play.
          The underlying fact of the essence of life is if you stand on your head everything becomes upsid edown

Comment

Originally posted by GLADIATOR
            Greebe I wanted a Pharhelia actually I wated for it.... But from what I hear it's a big dissapointment for what you get for that huge price tag .... So I went to buy the ATI 9700Pro....
            Cool, so, what prices did you compare?

And what does the ATi offer you that the Parhelia didn't?
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Maybe you were looking at the wrong Pharhelia... try Parhelia next time... and 95% of the reviews don't do it great justice

What you say?!?!?!?!

Zig!

(Pace, twas fixing Thanksgiving dinner... very busy day here... GAWD am I stuffed!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Has anyone looked at the new cooling system on the Geforce FX reference board?

The air being blasted from that is SERIOUSLY hot when it comes out the port.

If you stuck one of those on a Parhelia I bet you could clock it up close to 300.

Maybe if it worked we could then persuade M to 'upgrade' the cooler for us and overclock in a new BIOS?????
                It's easy to die in the past. Staying alive is much more difficult!

Comment

That would require an increase in voltage, something the BBz say will kill the parhelia expeditiously....
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Very true. It will kill it.

Regardless we have tried to get this info and not even Haig has access to what's neccessary (BTW that's a good thing

Shouldn't be hard to reverse engineer it tho, just that I'm a bit lazy and hesitant to use my P as a guinea pig... let alone wouldn't get a replacement if I did blow it... schwing there goes being a BB in the foreseeable future
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

IMO as a loyal matrox user (if not i wouldn't have brought the G550, i still say parhelia is a failure. The banding problem is quite unacceptable. I mean... such problem shouldn't exist even on a low-end graphics card. To me it is just sounds like a bug found on alpha silicons. apparently matrox DO know the issue (and possibly they knew before they actually sale it) and has no plan to fix the bug for those who have gone out to buy the 4X parts. This is very sad, considering that Parhelia is aimed for semi-pro who cared about quality over speed. And worse is that Matrox is KNOWN for quality since the pre-millenniums, and at that time when we go out and ask someone about high-end parts, we all say Matrox's hardware is unmatchable by other cards. It was simpily the best stuff out there.

IMO FAA bug is a really minor comparing to the banding problem... i really hope it's a driver bug, but it seems the problem lies deep within the core... i still feel sad, especially for matrox's falling and the ppl who brought

oo... btw, i do think parhelia is a great engineering achievement. come to think of it, IMO it is a smart card with FAA, triple head and so on

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                        Maybe you were looking at the wrong Pharhelia... try Parhelia next time... and 95% of the reviews don't do it great justice

What you say?!?!?!?!

Zig!

(Pace, twas fixing Thanksgiving dinner... very busy day here... GAWD am I stuffed!
                        look at my sig

edit: all your Pharhelias are belong to us!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pace
                          Cool, so, what prices did you compare?

And what does the ATi offer you that the Parhelia didn't?
                          Well, Pace i owned a MatroxG400Max before and then got a Creative GTS II which i noticed the Matrox had so much more image quality and that the GTS II didn't but it was way stronger in games.

But when i bought my Radeon8500 I had Matrox's image quality with the power of and nvidia card and more with aniso 16x & FSAA.

Well, I wanted to buy a Parhelia but the guys at the shop said to me it wasn't that great for gaming and had driver issues for games when they tested it. They said that the Radeon9700Pro was on display and i could try it. they told me this card was exellent and i could try it for myself.

After trying this card on four games and one of my favorites Castle Wolfenstein at 1280x1024 32bit Text 32bit colors 4x FSAA 16 aniso i pulled out my wallet and swiped my interact card and bought one right away. It just won me over with it's power and image quality and the games ran without a hitch. No problems at all.

I've been happy with the card ever since...

Mind you I wish Matrox would get their act together and make a great card with great GL drivers!!! they seem to be very poor in this feild... Maybe Geebe can save them ..he seems to know everything.

Comment

Well, Pace i owned a MatroxG400Max before and then got a Creative GTS II which i noticed the Matrox had so much more image quality and that the GTS II didn't but it was way stronger in games.
                            The GTS II came out long after the G400Max did, so comparing a much later date product from another company is your way of proving just what exactly?!

That's right, nothing

But when i bought my Radeon8500 I had Matrox's image quality with the power of and nvidia card and more with aniso 16x & FSAA.
                            The R8500 still isn't in the same ball park as far as image quality goes... well unless you are running lower resolutions, which I might add is a pointless comparision. BTW why didn't you compare the R8500 to the Ti4600 of which it was competing against?!

Doh!

Well, I wanted to buy a Parhelia but the guys at the shop said to me it wasn't that great for gaming and had driver issues for games when they tested it. They said that the Radeon9700Pro was on display and i could try it. they told me this card was exellent and i could try it for myself.
                            Parhelia is new tech with built from the ground up very early drivers... something the R9700 isn't affected by as it's drivers are based on the older R8500. which I might add the R8500 was slaughtered for the same thing in it's early days. Still none the less the 9700 doesn't have as good TVout (via DVDMax) nor can it do TH or even as well as Matrox's Dualhead (which is 3 year old tech).

I've been happy with the card ever since...
                            and most are very happy with their Matrox cards, so what? It's not like this is an ATi or generic forum where everyone has whatever product, but a Matrox specific Gaming forum. Learn the difference.

Mind you I wish Matrox would get their act together and make a great card with great GL drivers!!!
                            As do we all, but this is a misomer, everyone always hopes their Gcard manufacture does good in that arena.

they seem to be very poor in this feild... Maybe Geebe can save them ..he seems to know everything.
                            Oh the pain, the pain!

read responce here.
                            Last edited by Greebe; 2 December 2002, 06:18.

Comment

Working...
                            X