No announcement yet.

#2K at Rosetta!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're putting in a lot of effort, is it going to do anything else as well?

Anyway, you're contributing around 500 credits/day already, which is great. We'll be in the top 1000 in no time.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Other than waste electricity and heat up the room? Not miuch really. It's sole purpose in life is to calculate for Rosetta, if I can get it up and running that is.

After some testing I noticed the raid card is slowing my hdd transfers to a crawl. Screw raid and the horse you rode in on.

Some I'm back to square one. I'm trying CentOS 6.2 now, not really fond of that OS but it's one that my good friend recommends so I'm giving it a chance.

And yes, I'm putting way too much effort into a system most people would have put in the garbage by now.

What can I say? I love tinkering with computers.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I hear ya.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Finally!!! *cue Final Fantasy Fanfare*

It's up and running! About freaking time!
          • Linux Mint 13 Xfce 32bit
          • GeForce 6200 256mb AGP
          • 1Gb RAM
          • AMD XP 2400+ Socket 462
          • Thermaltake Heatsink with 80mm Fan
          • Asus A7V8X Motherboard
          • Antec Case with 120mm Fan (don't know the model number)
          • Aopen PSU 300W
          • LG DVD-ROM IDE
          • WD 80GB 7200RPM HDD 8mb Cache IDE

Yes I know, you all envy my new dedicated Rosetta system.

Comment

I don't get the PC ranking system for Rosetta. My newly added Xp2400 is ranked #1 over my 3800 X2, huh?

Good thing they didn't rank my crap assed PowerMac as #1.
            Last edited by ZokesPro; 20 October 2012, 18:56.

Comment

If you are looking att the roseta scoring pages then I think they're ranked by last contact time by default.

Comment

I'm sooo fast. Just discovered this post :P Hope i can help a little
                A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Welcome to the club, Nicram. Long time no read. Bringing your Cray?

We're getting on a roll here.

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
                    It's up and running! About freaking time!
                    I see no credits from this one. Might it have issues?

Comment

No cray this time. Cray made some time-travel calculations and disappeared one day. but i still got some laptop to help with Rosetta
                      A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Originally posted by Nicram View Post
                        Cray made some time-travel calculations and disappeared one day.
                        LOL

Reminds me of an episode of the Twilight Zone:
                        A professor named Sam, trying to figure out a difficult math problem, angrily yells out, "I'd sell my soul to get this thing right!" The Devil (or a Devil) instantly appears. This Devil announces that Sam's math problem "was the phonetic equivalent of a demonic invocation", and intends to steal his soul, which would be sold to bidders from other worlds.

There is a catch, though. Sam is allowed to ask three questions in regard to the Devil's powers, and then pose either a question or a task; if the Devil cannot answer said question or perform said task, Sam's soul is spared. Sam asks, "Really?", which the Devil counts as a question.

Sam's next question is more carefully planned. He asks if there are any physical limitations to the Devil's powers; the demon gleefully replies in the negative, claiming that he is able to travel faster than the speed of light or make two electrons occupy the same quantum state.

The third question forms a corollary to the second. Sam queries if there is any place from which the Devil cannot find his way back. The Devil, with malicious joy, informs Sam that he can move through galaxies in a microsecond, and even go to places that do not exist, such as "Berlin if the Nazis had won the war", or Rome had Alexander the Great "lived to a ripe old age".

The Devil, confident of his victory, demands that Sam pose his final question or task. Sam, armed with his new knowledge, calmly provides the impossible task:

"Get lost."

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                          I see no credits from this one. Might it have issues?
                          It might, but it says it's to finish on the 31 and the 1st. Could it still be calculating?
                          Gonna have to check it tonight.

Keep in mind that it did take a week to setup, so it very well could have crashed. Who knows, maybe it can't take the workload.
                          Last edited by ZokesPro; 23 October 2012, 18:15.

Comment

Re-installed and it's running now, guess we'll have to see for how long.

Comment

Oh, I am sure it'll be fine now. This is really great guys, we'll be top #1000 quite a bit faster now and as of then it's simply a countdown to 1!

Comment

It's fine now, it's sending results. *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                                X