No announcement yet.

#2K at Rosetta!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Umfriend: There's no need to threaten anymore, lol. And the title is no longer meaningful.

@VJ: Even if it's one more computer, that's excellent.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

It is one computer, but running almost 24/7, 100% (during normal work, I don't need much cpu). And it seems to be quite efficient... I'll check if I can run it (at night) some of my colleagues computers, that could mean quite some change..
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I have to say though that it seems to me that it takes longer to boot into ready-to-use mode. I suspect that is to do with 4 WUs reading about 1.5Gb. Not sure though. Need to find out what it is that takes so long for my computers to become snappy.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I was thinking I'd change the title once we break top 1,000?
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Yes, the reading of the data (and perhaps starting the jobs, and the time before the processes stabilize (ie stop moving to different cores) could well explain the delay. But my system is running full time, I only need to reboot for some Windows updates, and then it takes long anyway .

Judging by the RAC we have, and the few teams above us, I guess we should reach #1000 quickly...
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Right, can't change the title. Anyone who notices we break #1,000 first can start a new thread!

Comment

Got a new lappy but I'm concerned about the first result having errored. It's a windows 7 machine, 64-bit, I'm concerned at this point. ?
                BTW, does anyone know how to turn off the damn screen saver crap?

I'm slow to upgrade Win OS's and it often takes me a long time to figure out how to make it cooperate with my home network.....Not really happy with what I needed to do to make me network computers be allowed access to the W7 machine?.
                I just want to turn off the screen-saver on the W7 machine and nothing seema to work.....want to crunch to the max.
                Last edited by SitFlyer; 5 January 2013, 19:21.

Comment

I thought it was just right click on desktop
                  select personalise
                  then screen saver in bottom right.
                  Just choose , no screen saver

Comment

Perhaps that's correct. It's just so alien to me, one that gets so used to the previous major upgrade........
                    All the heck I went through, again (like from 2k to XP), just to figure out how to get all my home computers to see each other.
                    I'm not really satisfied with the solution but I don't have time to do it elegantly.

Comment

It's a bummer. BOINC by default uses the screensaver. One needs to choose advanced options to turn it off (and install BOINC as a service which is described in a terrible obfuscate manner but anyway). I think Marshmallowmans' solution should work though now that it is installed.

I share your sentiment against the GUI-changes each now OS without apparant advantages (to me). I'll not start about the ribbon in Office or this'll be a long write and I need to get me some breakfast. I fear the transition to W8.

Nice to have additional crunching power though!

Comment

Oh, and Sitflyer, you seem to have received a large number of WUs, perhaps some are finished already? If you update the project (advanced view, Tab project, select project and press update on the left) we can see how the lappy is doing.

Comment

Working...
                        X