Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're #200 @ Rosetta@Home, improving the world!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can certainly understand your reluctance to run it off an SSD given the possible wear on it. But as said, I do not seem to see much of that. Of course, I am only running 8 threads on it

I am interest in your findings though. Have you taken a time=0 wear indicator (like wear levelling count or TB written)?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

It's an entirely new SSD. Written only 170GB worth of data (applications) onto it. Never deleted anything as it was intended as a Ramdisk fast copy. (Anything I need is copied off this SSD onto the Ramdisk if I need anything with faster access or lots of constant access, eg any development tools I might need to use, gets transferred over, etc) So it was planned from the start to contain only install once and leave to copy off later aplplications and data, so wear level is virtually zero at all times since obtained.

So for all intents and purposes, 0 wear at this time. In a months time, will see how it's affected this SSD.

Also changed the write to file time on Boinc from 60s to 600s (10 minutes) to reduce writes by factor of 10 to reduce writes but keep periodic updates. 10 minutes can be made back in short order, but cycles used is a bigger issue here since my budget to replace anything has gone to zero (and will remain so for a bit for the forseeable future), so I'd rather not tempt fate.

J1NG

Comment

Wulfman, you left us too?
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I reinstalled the Debian client, it downloaded some work today (like last time), it should start crunching in the evening (I really need my computing power for work during the day). Last time, it just stopped crunching and refused to continue. Hopefully now it will. We'll see tomorrow...
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Once my downloaded WU are done, I will be on a hiatus for a while.

Summer like temps are coming faster than spring.

Comment

@SitFlyer: To bad, but understandable.
              @VJ: It does not seem to compute indeed.
              @J1NG, uhm, those 9 threads really churn like crazy. Is the SSD trashed yet?

BTW, WE MADE #150!!

Comment

VirtualBox was switched off... I needed the computing power to run my own simulation. Now it is back on and should work at night...
                pixar

Comment

Excellent video of a speech by David Baker (director of the Rosetta program) that I understand very little of specifically but conceptually it is very interesting: http://www.aaas.org/annual-meeting/2...ons-assemblies

Comment

Not time yet to do checks on SSD (still another 2 1/2 to 3 weeks before I check it properly), unlikely much will have been done to it so far. It's a shame Maggi wasn't able to get their setup going as it should easily be outputting as much as what this is setup is producing.

Still, much better than the old 3820 where it had issues with controlling CPU speed properly.

J1NG

Comment

• Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                      Wulfman, you left us too?
                      Just traveling a bit much recently.
                      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                      "Lobsters?"
                      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

• It looks like mine is doing something...
                        pixar

Comment

• Yep, very nice. There seems to be just five of us now, which is to bad. Sitflyer will be back in fall I hope, it'd be nice if Marshmallowman would pick up and alternate. Anyway, we're still within top 100 by RAC, many thanks to J1NG for that as well. Progress will be slow wrt ranking, I'm thinking we need at least to double our total credits to reach top 100 by TC but we'll get there eventually.

@Zokes, if you are still following this thread, the Milwaukee Electric Tool Company appears to have thrown the towel in the ring (is that an English expression??). I trust the guy must have realised there is no escaping us eventually .

Comment

• Mine will run for sure at night, and if possible during the day (if I don't need the power and think of enabling it). Parallel working with the virtual Debian in VirtualBox seems to show less issues than directly running the Boinc client on this computer. For sure it will be slower, but at least it does not interrupt me.
                            pixar

Comment

• Even though there is just 6 of us active, we're doing rather well with 87 by RAC. J1NG's upgrade has been very nice as well indeed.

Just took a look at MURCs SETI@Home efforts and they're still crunching as well with about 16K credits a day but there we are #219/#499 (TC/RAC) by 6 users as well, very faithfull crunchers I guess, but I don;t think I ever see any of them here (and one is fairly recent).

Has SETI ever found anything aother than a laptop?

Comment

• Well i finished many works at my home PC, so i can run it again with my Xeon Sorry @Umfriend those are Your last hours crunching faster :P
                                A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Working...
                                X