Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're #200 @ Rosetta@Home, improving the world!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umfriend
    replied
    Originally posted by J1NG View Post
    The SSD Boinc is running off has not shown any changes thus far. I'll do another check in a months time to see if it's finally changed enough to give a more accurate value to work with. But I'd hazzard a guess and say I've hit less than 500GB per month from simply having Boinc write it's files every 10 min rather than every minute.

J1NG
    Wow, had never thought about that.... Set it to 10 mins now as well and will see in about a months time.

Leave a comment:

• J1NG
    replied
    The SSD Boinc is running off has not shown any changes thus far. I'll do another check in a months time to see if it's finally changed enough to give a more accurate value to work with. But I'd hazzard a guess and say I've hit less than 500GB per month from simply having Boinc write it's files every 10 min rather than every minute.

J1NG

Leave a comment:

• Umfriend
    replied
    @J1NG: My SSD is now at 3.54TB, that means 1.5TB a month (conservatively, Mar10 to Apr15) on the OS drive which does see some other I/O as well of course. I guess 50GB a day. How many PT are SSDs rated for nowadays?
    My Samsung 850 PRO SSD is rated for 150TBW, so it should last 100 months or over 8 years. AFAI am reading, SSD endurance ratings are, in general, rather conservative.

Anyway, I'm fine with an expected life of 8 years but not all may be.

Leave a comment:

• Umfriend
    replied
    Actually, I am alrady more than 24K credits ahead of you, that is more than the total credits of the great Maggi and box combined! You'll never catch me (again). :d

Leave a comment:

• Umfriend
    replied
    Oh yeah? Show me! :d If need be I'll stop underclocking and crunch over 10% more! (I won't, like it running in the low 40s C)

Leave a comment:

• Nicram
    replied
    Well i finished many works at my home PC, so i can run it again with my Xeon Sorry @Umfriend those are Your last hours crunching faster :P

Leave a comment:

• Umfriend
    replied
    Even though there is just 6 of us active, we're doing rather well with 87 by RAC. J1NG's upgrade has been very nice as well indeed.

Just took a look at MURCs SETI@Home efforts and they're still crunching as well with about 16K credits a day but there we are #219/#499 (TC/RAC) by 6 users as well, very faithfull crunchers I guess, but I don;t think I ever see any of them here (and one is fairly recent).

Has SETI ever found anything aother than a laptop?

Leave a comment:

• VJ
    replied
    Mine will run for sure at night, and if possible during the day (if I don't need the power and think of enabling it). Parallel working with the virtual Debian in VirtualBox seems to show less issues than directly running the Boinc client on this computer. For sure it will be slower, but at least it does not interrupt me.

Leave a comment:

• Umfriend
    replied
    Yep, very nice. There seems to be just five of us now, which is to bad. Sitflyer will be back in fall I hope, it'd be nice if Marshmallowman would pick up and alternate. Anyway, we're still within top 100 by RAC, many thanks to J1NG for that as well. Progress will be slow wrt ranking, I'm thinking we need at least to double our total credits to reach top 100 by TC but we'll get there eventually.

@Zokes, if you are still following this thread, the Milwaukee Electric Tool Company appears to have thrown the towel in the ring (is that an English expression??). I trust the guy must have realised there is no escaping us eventually .

Leave a comment:

• VJ
    replied
    It looks like mine is doing something...

Leave a comment:

• Wulfman
    replied
    Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
    Wulfman, you left us too?
    Just traveling a bit much recently.

Leave a comment:

• J1NG
    replied
    Not time yet to do checks on SSD (still another 2 1/2 to 3 weeks before I check it properly), unlikely much will have been done to it so far. It's a shame Maggi wasn't able to get their setup going as it should easily be outputting as much as what this is setup is producing.

Still, much better than the old 3820 where it had issues with controlling CPU speed properly.

J1NG

Leave a comment:

• Umfriend
    replied
    Excellent video of a speech by David Baker (director of the Rosetta program) that I understand very little of specifically but conceptually it is very interesting: http://www.aaas.org/annual-meeting/2...ons-assemblies

Leave a comment:

• VJ
    replied
    VirtualBox was switched off... I needed the computing power to run my own simulation. Now it is back on and should work at night...

Leave a comment:

• Umfriend
    replied
    @SitFlyer: To bad, but understandable.
    @VJ: It does not seem to compute indeed.
    @J1NG, uhm, those 9 threads really churn like crazy. Is the SSD trashed yet?

BTW, WE MADE #150!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X