fed up with bring dicked about by BT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fed up with bring dicked about by BT

As the title sez, I'm fed up with bring dicked about by BT.

16 months ago I put my name down as an early adopter for ADSL. 9 months later they still hadn't fitted it so I rang them again in Jan of this year. Although I had originally receved a confirmation email of my interest, they had lost my order! Wtf, so I re-ordered. This time they did a quick line test and assuming their were no further problems, agreed an installation date of mid feb. So far so good. On the day of installation I rang up to inquire about my welcome pack only to be told that my line had failed the test a week earlier (WTF no 2) and was out of range of my exchange. I then asked then why they hadn't had the decency to inform me of this but all I received was a typical limp wristed response.
    However, a few days later I received a phone call from them (BT) asking if I had a 2nd line in the house because they could test that one for ADSL compatibility. Unfortunately I didnt but was prepared to pay for a 2nd line fitted if it meant I could have broadband internet.
    At this stage I should say that my closest digital exchange is less than a KM from where I live but my phone line is routed to one 3 KM away!!
    I then raised an order with BT for a 2nd line informing them that I was only interested if it was routed to the nearest exchange and that if this was not possible would they please inform me before hand so I dont waste another days holiday. Simple, you might think. On the day, the engineer duly arrived and I told him what I wanted. "Cant do that, all phone lines in this estate are routed to the exchange 4 miles away". WTF (3), another wasted holiday.

At this stage I decided to to go to the local cable company (NTL) that had just announced broadband. Unfortunately the cable in MK is owned (you guessed correctly) by BT and they wont allow NTL to use it for broadband services (or so I am told).

At this point I am exasperatted, I live in the newest city in the UK (less than 30 yrs old) and I cant even get broadband services. I'm thinking to myself that this must be a f**king joke. However there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is called RASDL. Yes! I am now within distance of my exchange. Luckilly for me I am now working from home for a few weeks and my company has agreed to pay for ADSL plus the 1st 3 months of usage.

3 weeks a go I phoned a local (very good) ISP called PowerNet and they told me that RASDL was now in operation in MK. Unfortunately Powernet were priced a little high so I had to go back to BT. I then phoned BT, created a new order and agreed on an installation date of (AM) 20th Aug . I was chuffed cuz they sent me 2 welcome packs (ok another cockup but acceptable).

At 3:00 pm on the 20th the engineer still hadnt arrived so I rang BT only to be told that they had problems on a previous call and that I would need to rearrange a new installation date. WTF (4), havent these people ever heard of customer service. They couldnt be arsed to even phone me and let me know.

It shoud now be installed tomorrow. If they cock up again shit will hit the fan.

As an aside, my nephew recently moved into his new flat and within a few weeks had blindingly fast DSL..what a pisser.

Without trying to sound too much like Jerry Springer, one of the moral(s) of this episode is never to deal with a company that doest have good customer service. Unfortunately my hands are tied.
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

I can understand why your p***ed off!
    good luck for tomorrow!

Comment

They ought to give you a free years coonection as compensation.

Bt sucks big time
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

When my local Cableco (SmellyVest Contagions) delayed my Cable modem install by a month, they waived the £50 install feel.
        Which was nice.
        Even nicer seeing as I'd booked a last minute holiday for 2 weeks starting 3 days after my original install date, so effectively I didnt waste 2 weeks of subscription.
        Which was even nicer.
        And the holiday was very, very nice indeed.
        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Unfortunately BT being the monopoly that they are, they dont usually worry too much about messing people about. I cant imagine them being more sympathetic until they have some serious competition.

regards MD
          Interests include:
          Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

So have you got it yet?

My NTL Broadband cable installation went very smoothly (with me changing the date to 3 different Saturdays as it was timed to coincide with moving house, which is always a moving target, pardon the pun) apart from when Cable Guy drilled through the central heating water pipe!

Tony.

Broadband Rules!!!
            FT.

Comment

Hello Tony
              No still waiting. They up to have another hour to arrive. Personally I dont think they will make it
              Interests include:

Comment

The BT engineer that came to install ADSL has just left. Unfortunately, they require a line loss of no more than 59db and mine came in at 60db. I have failed the final line test and as such no ADSL for me.

regards MD
                Interests include:

Comment

Bummer. What about satellite broadcasts? Uplink is still at modem speeds, but downlinks can be 2Mbps. I think the cards cost less than £180.
                  FT.

Comment

I think satelite is expensive, however I still have a few more options. The engineer told me to go back to BT and ask them either to re-route my line or attempt to clean it up. Failing that I am going to chase up NTL and scream at them until DSL is available in MK.

regards MD
                    Interests include:

Comment

Good Luck! I had to move counties before broadband was an option. The daft thing was there was a cable box across just 20 yards of grass from my property but they wouldn't connect me.

Tony.
                      FT.

Comment

Working...
                      X