No announcement yet.

Puzzled about fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the bad things about studying philosophy is that it makes you question assumptions. I tried to think about what was the moral thing to do. If I were trying to survive in a non-modern society, killing and eating anything you can get your hands on seems to me to be ok, as it it is necessary for survival. But in a modern society where there are many options, this seems not to hold water. Can we justify eating something just because it tastes good and we've done it for a long time? We could make similar arguments about eating other things. how about eating our criminals. hey there is a solution to a bunch of problems, world hunger and exploding prison population...

Anyway, i decided to use an intelligence test to determine what i eat. I only eat dumb animals: fish, chicken (poultry), etc. Smarter animals like pigs, cows, and pretty much most mammals are out. Sometimes i eat other meat, but i feel guilty later. I hate that I have the gall to have convictions but don't have the stomach to stand by them.

Oh, well,

MadScot

"What? Haggis isn't meat, is it? They told me it was a wee doggie!"
    Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

Originally posted by MadScot
      I only eat dumb animals: fish, chicken (poultry), etc. Smarter animals like pigs, cows, and pretty much most mammals are out. Sometimes i eat other meat, but i feel guilty later.
      that could be the funniest thing i've heard all day
      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

how about eating our criminals. hey there is a solution to a bunch of problems, world hunger and exploding prison population...
        Now there`s an idea!
        Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Anyway, i decided to use an intelligence test to determine what i eat.
          Explain the test, please!

mfg
          wulfman
          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
          "Lobsters?"
          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I challenge you. I challenge ANY vegetarian to do entirely without animal products. Voluntary animal products are ok - milk, cheese, eggs. But not involuntary products - no gelatin, no... oh, wait! You can't drink milk because they grind up fish to use as emulsifier! So sorry! I _suppose_ you can go find straight-from-the-cow milk, at $5 for a half gallon.

No vitamins, either. JUST vegetables, and milk (if you can find the right kind) and cheese, and eggs. That's IT. No supplements, no vitamins, no nothing.

You'll be ill before you know it. All the REAL vegetarians I know are stick-skinny anemic-looking people. You gotta eat a LOT of spinach to get the iron from one medium-rare porterhouse. And you have to eat a LOT of ... umm ... which vegetable has fat in it again? You _DO_ know that without fat you'll die, right?

And I'd LOVE to know where you'll get your amino acids from. There are quite a few that are only found in animal flesh. Not in any plant known to man... but go RIGHT AHEAD. Just leave me the hell out of it. I want to stay healthy.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Wulf, come on. Everyone knows chickens are plain dumb. And the fish? Talk about stupid. I mean, when`s the last time you saw a fish solve a math equasion ... come to think of it, i havent seen seen any animal do that ... but i`m sure if you put all animals to a test of stupidity, the fish would come second (after the chicken ofcourse).
              Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

The intelligence test is rather subjective and ill-defined. Two possibilities are as follows: Can i reasonably and entirely imagine what it is like to be that animal? I think i could imagine what it is like to be most animals that i don't like to eat. But what would it be like to be a fish? Do they have thoughts, or are they just stimulus-response? What would it be like to be such a creature? I don't know.

The second method is ad-hoc. Chickens seem really stupid. I've seen rocks smarter than some fish. Cows, while slow, are no more dim-witted than some people i know. Pigs are smarter than dogs, so if Fido is safe, so is Porkey.

When the world comes out with a smart broccoli, I'm screwed.

MadScot
                Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

Can we justify eating something just because it tastes good and we've done it for a long time?
                  <B>Yes!!!</B> What would make you think of anything different?

In the words of Dennis Leary:

(don't bother cooking it)....just bring me the whole cow! I'll carve off what I want, and ride the rest home!!!
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

All the REAL vegetarians I know are stick-skinny anemic-looking people.
                    I've met four true vegetarians in my life. Only one of them matched the above description. Two others are my niece and her husband. They're otherwise normal (more or less, considering my family). The fourth weighed 300 pounds if he was an ounce. He swore on his mother's grave he never ate any animal products except for dairy. I don't know what else was in his diet, but he sure wasn't starving!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat

<B>Yes!!!</B> What would make you think of anything different?
                      So such things as canibalism or eating a live elephant would be fine, so long as we had a history of doing so, right?

MS

Comment

Look, I'm only playing devil's advocate. There is nothing I hate more than people pushing their beliefs on others. I lived with a militant vegan and hated it. I also lived with a rancher who would put down everyone who didnt eat enough red meat. Both were pains in the ass for it.

I, for one, love the tast of raw things. Sushi tops my list, but when i was young, i loved raw ground beef. Then i heard about parasites and bacteria...

MadScot

Comment

What about people eating sharks and whales, they are fish and they are far from dumb.
                          Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

Originally posted by Kastuvas
                            What about people eating sharks and whales, they are fish and they are far from dumb.
                            Whales are fish now? I must have missed that memo
                            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Whales are fish now? I must have missed that memo
                              I'll make sure you get another copy.....and about those TPS reports.....

Gurm: if you want fat, just eat lots of potatoes and rice, then sit on the couch and watch TV while using minimal effort.....you'll get your fat.

If we're supposed to eat so much meat, then why do we cook it? And before throwing out some "our imune systems are weak from not eating raw meat for so many years of our evolution" explain to me why anybody in the history of man started cooking his meat in the first place. I'm genuinly curious.

I'll eat steaks....but only well cooked. I used to eat them pretty rare, but my digestive system isn't too keen on that these days. I stopped eating beef altogether for a while because it seemed every time I ate it I would get slightly sick....my theory...the hormones. Just a theory. I go to Canada and eat some nice rare beef....mmmmmm, tatses soooo good, no digestive reaction. Coincidence? Perhaps. But no matter how you slice it, the non-hormonal beef still tastes better.

I hear there exists a cow in Japan that has been massaged with beer and fed a mixture of grain and beer....worth $500k per cow or so? I'd like a piece of that....beef. Kobe beef, or something like that?

Tofurkey....I like tofu and the thought of that just turns me off. I like turkey too, for what it's worth.

<homer voice>
                              MMmmmmmm......suuuuushiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii......
                              </homer voice>

BTW, I've known fish smarter than some humans, I swear it. Don't count fish out of the intelligence pool.....just because they like to eat shiny metal things with hooks on them doesn't make them stupid! Or does it? Then again, think of what they have to work with. We, fortunately, have appendages that we can manipulate the world with. A fish has one real choice to investigate things.....taste it. If it gots hooks, though....it's gonna be a painful experience. But think of the first time you touched something hot without knowing what it would do....yeaow. The difference? We only make that mistake once....(or twice, or any number of times depending on the person).

b
                              Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat

Slaughtering cows? If you ever looked at a cow head on, you'd know it's just begging to die.
                                BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

That is the best thing I have read in the last ten months at least!! And it's so true!

Rags

Comment

Working...
                                X