No announcement yet.

Have you ever heard of a Sugar Glider?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever heard of a Sugar Glider?

We went to a home show today, and there was a booth that had "Sugar Gliders" for sale. They were really quite cute and my 7-year-old has been talking about them since about noon (when we held one).

The only way I can describe them is that they are kind of like a really small flying squirrel (may need to add a few of these to your army, Vido ). They are about 5 or so inches long as an adult and CAN actually "glide" from one person to another by spreading their legs and the flaps of skin between their legs and their body catch the air. They are marsupials (like kangaroos) so they like to be in pouches and are nicknamed "The Pocket Pet" because they apparently enjoy riding in your pocket.

So, are these suitable pets or no? They get all A's for cuteness, but I don't know about them as pets. There are conflicting reports online.

Here is a pic of a Sugar Glider.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Oh man... those kritters are from New Zealand... hop tree to tree rarely touching the ground feeding from flower blossoms.

Ok I watch too much Animal Planet and PBS so sue me!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I wouldn't have one as a pet.

Hi,

I do know that they are a native animal to Australia, and here, they are a protected species and really not appropriate as pets.

I just did a quick check on the net and found that the ones that are in the US are usually decendants of ones from Indonesia.

They are also illegal to have as pets in some states, so you might want to make sure you check that.

Phill...
      ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

Oh yeah are nocturnal too... as a pet, well lets just say stop stripping our forests away and or trying to get rich off of poor little critters that are not domesticated. Any one remember aligators you could buy out of the back of almost an mag back in the '60's... they had to stop that shit.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

please, let's not find out if they're good as pets
          Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Greebe:

From what I see on the news you guys could afford to get rid of more than a few 'gators

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I've had roommates keep them as pets. It's really not a good idea at all. Greebe already mentioned that they are nocturnal - thus your 7-year-old will always want to wake it up. Many of them have bad demeanors to start with, and they ALL do when you wake them up. They don't play - they just burrow into your armpit for warmth and darkness, or look cute when they eat fruit, but that's about it.

I'd bet that the only people really advocating them as pets are people like my roommate's psycho-girlfriend, where pets are really more like victims. Real-life Elmira.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I haven't seen Bart in a couple months now... have no idea were they be hiding lately

Tho the other day I found something really cool... a Turquiose blue/ Lt.grey glass snake (Lizard) about 6" long

Comment

that would have been me.. i shapeshift
                  www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Upon further review I don't think the sugar glider is right for us.

The deal breaker is the attention that they apparently require in conjunction with the fact that they are nocturnal. It would primarily be my 7-year-old's pet (she is quite responsible and I don't worry about her ability to care for a pet). Since she goes to bed around 8:30 or 9 pm during school, and the sugar glider apparently doesn't get up untill around 10pm, I don't see a whole lot of chance for interaction. We had a ferret once and I have to say that the fact sugar gliders have similar scent glands turned me off a bit too.

Once I presented her with the facts and she did some research online herself, we decided that another pet should be chosen. She went through a bunch of sites and now she won't stop talking about guinea pigs.

Ahh, to be young and fickle again...

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

A friend had one. He used to bring it to work in a little pouch he wore around his neck. As you said, it mostly slept all during the day.

Comment

Arrrrrrgh....They taste like Chicken
                        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

How are they in soup?
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                            How are they in soup?
                            Wet.

I once visited a Sugar Glider resturant. I guess they find it a bit hard to reach the kitchen appliances. They do a killer fruit salad, but I hear the portions are tiny for the price. I prefer to have larger animals doing the cooking.
                            Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

you know.. i didnt know people ate lizards til the other day.

i hear the aussies eat them. i had no idea
                              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Working...
                              X