Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MS shows Displacement Mapping @ GDC - With MATROX !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh hey
    been a lurker here since getting my G400 MAX in Nov 99
    and I can wait as long as it takes to get a Matrox™ upgrade for gaming.

Just thought it should be pointed out, for Xbit if no one else, that the 2 object's in Ant's .jpg are both rendered (displacement mapped) versions of the same low-poly mesh.
    Sweeet.

---e
    Iwill KK266-R
    Athlon Tbird 1GHz AYHJAR oc'd to 1.5 GHz
    128 megs Corsair PC133
    Windows 98 SE
    Matrox G400 MAX DH 32mb
    -----------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmin
      Dammit! I want higher quality mpegs, theres lots of interesting looking text on the third one (overlayed on the image top left) that I'd love to be able to read!
      There is a snapshot of that video too, and in it the text is pretty readable (although static, ofcourse)... What I got from it:

FA? - Toggle Text Display
      L?? - Dynamic Tessellation (on)
      C? - Tessellation Factor (320:1) (not sure about these numbers)
      ?? - Displacement Scale (1.30:1) (not sure about these numbers either)
      YA? - Displacement Interpolation Type (linear)
      TA? - Sun Angle 135,000000 degrees
      Z/X - Sun Light Factor 1.000
      C/V - Sky Light Factor 1,000
      1/2 - Toggle Terrain & Sky Radiance Texture (on)
      3/4 - Toggle Detail Color & Detail Horizon Map Texture (off) (could be "on" as well...)
      5/6 - Toggle Normal Map & Horizon Map Texture (on)
      7/8 - Toggle Clouds Texture (on)
      W?S - Fill Mode (solid)
      R?? - Fog (enabled)

Last edited by Tempest; 23 March 2002, 07:04.

Comment

woohoo i new that matrox and displacement mapping were going to kick up a storm

now we just have to wait for the proper matrox presentations
        Dell Inspiron 8200
        Pentium4m 1.6
        640mb pc2100
        64mb gf440go
        15" uxga ultrasharp
        40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

Was this demo really done in software, real-time? I don't think so, remember M's last software-rendered DM demo...

Maybe it was pre-rendered, but it didn't look like it... if it were pre-rendered, the turning of the lizard would have been much more fluidly (looked like someone turned it in real-time).

I think it was done in real-time on the soon™ to be announced card, but M didn't want to reveal it yet...

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

almost proper english...

more stuff from GDC:

Last edited by TdB; 23 March 2002, 10:27.
            This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Hi,
              if you are looking for more information about displacement mapping or directx 9:

There are 2 powerpoint presentations, both shown at Meltdown 2001 from Microsoft and Matrox.

Comment

Thanks Axel.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Well according to the article above the presentation of Mr. Boyd from Microsoft was pleasantly interrrupted by a MATROX technician who showed the attendents a working presentation of "displacement mapping".

Joel
                  Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                  Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

warp2search

DĂ©jĂ  Vu.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Actualization method of concrete form modification seems that differs every GPU, but when actualizing the N-PATCH, it is thought the ecad tessellation the way (polygon division) the mechanism is utilized.
                      Now <I>that</I> is a man that can speak jargon. Dear lord.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

ROFLMAO!!!
                        Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

So..... where is the report from Matrox' own Displacement Mapping presentation at GDC?

The forums are so quiet today, dunno if that's a good or a bad sign...
                          main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Originally posted by MetalCartman
                            So..... where is the report from Matrox' own Displacement Mapping presentation at GDC?

The forums are so quiet today, dunno if that's a good or a bad sign...
                            Yes, I wait also the whole day for some news!
                            Maybe the party after the presentation was to good and everyone has a hangover or a splitting headache!
                            cu/2 magog - Germany - flying with OS/2 Warp speed...in a vehicle named eComStation (eCS)
                            ---
                            Author of the Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de
                            JMDB v1.35 FINAL is available (2007-09-20)
                            Homepage: http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/

Comment

Maybe, but these guys should know how to avoid a hangover -> STAY DRUNK!
                              main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Originally posted by MetalCartman
                                Maybe, but these guys should know how to avoid a hangover -> STAY DRUNK!
                                That won't look so good when you have to go to work!
                                Titanium is the new bling!
                                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                                X