P 256 meg, 4-pin molex connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Umfriend
    ...would it then be an idea to give the card a 2nd connector that would fit in a PCI slot just to get some extra power from there? Would that at least be "easier" from a stability point of view then the molex option? Just theoretically speaking.
    I believe you can do this and stay within AGP Pro compliance. Not that it would help much with the topic at hand...
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Where's that in the AGP Pro spec?
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Intel.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

so with clean power being the issue is there nowhere to draw the extra 1-3 volts of devoted, clean power than a seperate stand alone power supply?

the more i think about it the more i'de have to say yes... i think ATI really did good to go with the molex i can't say to what degree it afects the card other than to give the extra voltage neccissary to give the 300+mhz spped to the core.

however i think a seperate power supply would be feasable on a high end 256 meg version but they would have to make it very convenient puting the connection on the back of the card next to the DVI connectors having an external power supply and then giving a couple feet of cable for the connection.
          -Chris K.

Comment

It's not voltage but current that's the issue.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I'm not a techno genius so don't flame me on this one but I think that adding a molex could be an answer to power consumption. Only I don't think it would be a good ID for the graphic card itself but instead only to feed the fan that's on the chip.. wouldn't it save some power?
              Let those who want to be simple, be simple.

Comment

most GPU fans consume less than a watt at either 5v or a tad half that @12v
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

.5-1watt more for my Parhelia to play with.......yay!!!!
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Don't be ignorant K6-III you will never see the need

Comment

Sarcasm....maybe with the tweak util in hand it'll be enough for a few more mhz...

Comment

That's assuming you can OC P to require power levels that would run near the peak power of what the AGP bus will do... don't count on it.

Comment

How high do you expect it to go with this: http://www.vantecusa.com/cck6012.html and a 30cfm delta instead of the stock fan????

That's what I'm running combined with Tweakmonster Tin-Coated Copper Ramsinks...

Comment

Working...
                          X