Acrane (netflix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrane (netflix)

We just finished watching "Arcane" ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11126994/ ).
    It starts out as a simple story, but quite quickly evolves into quite a dramatic tale. The animation is artistic and an interesting mix; I'm still not sure if I like it or not, but it is something different and they really nicely show a person's visions/fears. The presented world is nicely built; characters are given enough depth.
    Highly recommended!

And my in-laws (does that mean the opposite is out-laws?) binge-watched "The Rookie" ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7587890/ ), which they say was great.
    Last edited by VJ; 16 February 2024, 05:14.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I just finished 4 seasons of The Rookie. It's nothing spectacular but within its genre it's pretty good. Arcane I watched when it came out but then I am a League of Legends player (a bad one, really really bad).

Other recomendations I would give: Reacher (soooo much better as a series then as a movie with a tiny main character), Alice in Borderland (I found it tuff to get through the first two episodes but it builds up nicely), Parfum/Perfume miniseries.

Edit: And then there are those that were cancelled against my clear instructions like Sense8, The Expanse (which did get a bit to much soapy last season), American Gods (how was that not continued) and Preacher.
    Last edited by Umfriend; 24 February 2024, 05:12.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Alice in Borderland is on our to-watch list... Sense8 was nice, the Expanse we still have to continue (but we don't have Amazon at the moment). My wife says the books of the expanse are brilliant.

Yesterday we watched the first episode of Resident Alien ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8690918/ ). Of course it comes with some typical expected quirks related to the trope "alien trying to blend in", but it was entertaining. We'll have to see how it holds up though...
      pixar

Comment

Yeah, so the Expanse as a series goes a bit downhill in the last 1.5 season (the last "season" was actually a 0.5 season). To my mind it became a bit soapy and lost its drive and some of its credibility. But yes, entertaining. When you do get amazon, you might want to try Harry Bosch and Bosch Legacy if single-cop-saves-the-world can be your thing. It's way better than what a just characterised it as. I assume the Fargo's and True Detectives have been watched already (I need access to both' last seasons some how).
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

On Amazon for sure you should watch The Boys (I only saw first season, but it was good) and Good Omens... Some time ago, on Netflix, we watched Happy!. It is without a doubt the weirdest series (imaginary flying unicorn-friend of a kidnapped girl searches for her father, a drunk former cop turned gangster-hitman, to save her... and from that it gets weirder... and when you think it cannot get weirder, it does), but it is hilarious. And one fighting scene should go down in history as the most unique way to depict a fight (if you see it, you will know which scene ).

But so many series... so little time: too busy at work, too many other things happening...
          Last edited by VJ; 8 March 2024, 01:32.
          pixar

Comment

Did you watch Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency? I hae it when shows like those get cancelled. Good Omens may yet see another season I believe .

Comment

I watched it but did not fully get into it... I mean, nicely made and entertaining, but a bit too ... holostic. Things just happen and work out, I missed a bit of direction, or effort of the characters, ... but I know that was a bit the point of the series. So it wasn't bad, but not so much my cup of tea so to speak.
              pixar

Comment

Yesterday with my in-laws we watched "the out-laws" ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11274492/ ). Usually it is difficult to find a film for us to watch together due to differing tastes, but still the sometimes want to watch together. The movie was a bit entertaining, but do not expect high cinema. It tries to be a "the whole nine yards" but doesn't pull it off so well. The best joke to me was when someone referred to James Bond, and Pierce Brosnan commented on it... Quite often they go a bit too stupid in the jokes or slapstick, the story however is original and would have deserved better.
                pixar

Comment

I hardly ever rewatch a show but because one of the kids was just starting with The Good Place I joined in. Now that was an *awesome* show.

Comment

I hardly ever rewatch a show but because one of the kids was just starting with The Good Place I joined in. Now that was an *awesome* show.

Comment

Yes.... during the first series I was wondering how they would make more seasons without repeating stuff... and slowly you see it happening and then the twist at the end of the first season. A very good series.
                      Just in case: Insatiable and Santa Clarita Diet are also very good.
                      pixar

Comment

Just finished S1 of The 3 Body Problem. Pretty good. It's amazing how many good actors/actresses are out there.

Comment

Started watching Ripley now. Never saw the movie (nor read the book that I think it is based on but maybe such book does not exist). Also played some games of League (which Arcane is based on).

Comment

Started watching Ripley now. Never saw the movie (nor read the book that I think it is based on but maybe such book does not exist). Also played some games of League (which Arcane is based on).

Comment

We are waiting to start the Three Body Problem until my wife finishes the second book (we're not sure how well the series follows the books). Ripley is also on our list.

Somehow we started watching The Signal. It is not bad, but quite slow. I read somewhere that it tries to be the next Dark (which is brilliant but complicated), but that is not a comparison - they are quite different. Spaceman (Adam Sandler with space spider) is surprisingly good, it is more philosophical than anything else.
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X