• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so my computer

got ****ed up by that teenage ****oles virus

im goin to hunt him down

i tried to reinstall, because nothing on my pc would open up

and the reinstall ****ed up

i lost 5 years of music and games and videos, tv shows, pictures, emails, memories, and my address book.

i am angered

grrrrrrr.

i turn on my pc now and it says general protection fault

and thats it

any ideas what to do?

tried booting from the xp disk and it wont do it
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Buy another hard drive. Hold on to the one you have now, as much/most of that data can likely be recovered.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

god i hope so
      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Well, that are really bad news. Are you sure that your PC is infected? General protection errors can have a lot of reasons (bad RAM, corrupted (system) files etc...

edit: I had similar problems (protection faults) some time ago. The whole thing was caused by faulty RAM.
        Last edited by Lambo-Fan; 31 August 2003, 03:36.
        Asus H97 Pro Gamer| Intel i5 4690K| Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB | Soundblaster ZxR | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600| LG 24 MP88HV-S

Comment

Yeah, That may be true. But all those hardware problems have more risk of damaging the HD data, so if the data matters, start with a fresh drive.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

that's what backups are for. especially if you hold so valueable content on your hard drive.
            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Make sure you don't have a bad IDE cable. I had a wire or two go bad on one a while back and it seriously corrupted the contents of a HD and made the system act VERY unstable.

Comment

*High smash bad IDE cables!

Had a work machine as well as my home machine flip out because of this.

Comment

::Waiting to see what happens with extra hd before adding own ideas and comments::

Hope it all goes well Liz.

J1NG

Comment

Originally posted by thop
                    that's what backups are for. especially if you hold so valueable content on your hard drive.
                    Valuable advice, presented at entirely the wrong time.

Comment

Not neccessarily, the next drive failure might come sooner than you think. Another advice: virus scanner.
                      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I hate to be the lone naysayer here, Liz... but are you sure it was the Lovesan.B you experienced?

Lovesan mostly just makes your machine reboot a lot and ties up your network with packets bombing the Windows Update site. It does NOT:

1. Erase your hard disk.
                        2. Keep other programs from running (except Windows Update and regedit).
                        3. Molest your collie or other small animals.

Gpar_
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Get hold of Memtestx86 from memtest86.com.
                          Its a tiny download, and you create a small bootable diskette with it.
                          just boot onto said diskette and leave for a while. If any memory related problems are there, this should detect it.

I've seen many PC's that will bot and run fine with bad memory, and crash only when that particular sector is used.
                          Give it a whirl.
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Also try to get a hold of PQ driveimage or Norton Ghost boot floppy and try to image the drive to your burner.

Otherwise, new HDD with clean install, then connect your old HDD and copy data is your best bet.

Comment

Uh make sure the CD-Rom is the primary boot device and run a recovery install! The virus can't disable booting from the xp install disk!

Why is this not in the gebneral HW SW forum?
                              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
                              X