No announcement yet.

I can't believe the Catholic church is this stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not only the Catholic church suffers from this.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

man am i glad i am buddhist

Comment

Someone once claimed that Religion is a Mental illness

And the those preists do seem to suffer from "mental illness"
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

This only increases my fervent desire to impale every last bishop, cardinal, and pope on a sharp pointy pole and let their blood drain out onto the ground. Their sins are inexcusable.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

To sortof play the devil's advocate here, Abstinence is in fact the only garaunteed way of not getting aids. That said, the Catholic Church couldn't have chosen a worse way to try and make that point.

Ian
            Primary System:
            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
            Seccondary System:
            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
            Tertiary system
            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Originally posted by HedsSpaz
              To sortof play the devil's advocate here, Abstinence is in fact the only garaunteed way of not getting aids. That said, the Catholic Church couldn't have chosen a worse way to try and make that point.

Ian
              Considering the many pedophile cases, priests have problems keeping it in their pants, how could you ask Abstinence from the average mortal when the temptation walks in front of you every day ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                Condoms only reduce the risk of AIDS. Drastically mind you, but they are not 100% effective against stopping AIDS. So the Catholic church is partly right ... though I doubt their campaign is scientifically driven in any way.

After all, every sperm is sacred. Every sperm is great. If a sperm gets wasted, god gets quite irrate.

Jammrock
                agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                  Considering the many pedophile cases, priests have problems keeping it in their pants, how could you ask Abstinence from the average mortal when the temptation walks in front of you every day ?
                  Very easily. I'm 24. I've done it so far. People have free will. That means that they are capable of making that choice and capable of sticking to the course. It's honestly not that difficult. Maybe I just have unusually high moral standards. Maybe I'm just unusual in that I actually hold myself to those standards and follow through on them.

As for the Catholic Clergy in specific, I believe it is monumentally stupid of the church to require a vow of chastity from their preisthood. All of the other major churches in the world permit and even encourage marriage among their clergy, and they don't have the same problems. Makes you think.

Nonetheless, they have taken that vow, and they should be expected to hold to it.

As an aside, in countries where the infection rate is as high as 20% you would think that people would be scared into abstinence if nothing else.

Ian
                  Primary System:
                  MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                  120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                  Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                  Seccondary System:
                  Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                  3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                  Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                  Tertiary system
                  Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                  Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

HedsSpaz,

You haven't had sex yet, right? I went without for years, despite opportunities... until I met a girl that I was in love with.

Say that you can go without EASILY once you've gotten some.

I mean c'mon. The Catholic Church still, last time I checked, had a ban on forks. I don't know if they ever lifted it, but when the fork was invented it was declared an abomination, and a tool of the devil. Heh.

They're also still trying to come to grips with the fact that sex FEELS good. Masturbation is also disallowed, too.

The Catholic Church is, apart from Islam, the biggest adversary of science and progress in the world today. Period. It needs to be forcibly dismantled by a coalition of the intelligent, its wealth dispersed to the needy, and the Vatican BURNED TO THE GROUND.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Gurm

You are moving the thread to 'out of order'

I dont want to take it there - there have been few threads burned reciently - HOWEVER, I wont stand by and listen to you blow it out your @ss.

I would not consider speaking that way about a Rabi - have the common decency not to discuss my religion in that way.

RedRed
                      Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

The Catholic Church is, apart from Islam, the biggest adversary of science and progress in the world today. Period. It needs to be forcibly dismantled by a coalition of the intelligent, its wealth dispersed to the needy, and the Vatican BURNED TO THE GROUND.
                        Hitler said the same of the Jews - does it make you proud to be as twisted as he?

RedRed

Comment

The Jews never launched a "Crusade" or "Inquisition" to rid the world of Christians.

I don't hate Catholics. I don't hate Catholicism. I hate the "Catholic Church". There's a BIIIIIIG difference.

Besides, last time I checked, Rabbis weren't molesting little kids, or lying to people and saying that condoms have AIDS inside them.

I mean, how can you justify that? How can you sit there and refer to it as "your religion", and stand by Priests, when they're ON RECORD as lying outright to the world?

How?

Are you going to DEFEND their lies? Are you claiming that condoms CAUSE AIDS? That's what the Priests are saying! Read the article!

- Gurm

Comment

I'm with KRSESQ.

I'm for religiousness, but you can burn all religioNs. Though there are people in them that mean well and do well and seek refuge there, I feel they would do better on their own. Christ, Buddha, Mohammed and all the masters never started one single religion. Their "followers" did. To their own ends. That's all.
                            How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                            Who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by HedsSpaz
                              As for the Catholic Clergy in specific, I believe it is monumentally stupid of the church to require a vow of chastity from their preisthood. All of the other major churches in the world permit and even encourage marriage among their clergy, and they don't have the same problems. Makes you think.

Ian
                              The regular priest here is allowed to marry yet if you go the monk way you have to take a vow of chastity. Also, if you want to advance in the Church's ranks (career ), you're not allowed to marry.
                              I agree, wouldn't hurt the Catholic Church to reform in this area.

Comment

I hate the "Catholic Church". There's a BIIIIIIG difference.
                                I am sorry - I see no difference between you and nazi

The Catholic Church is percieved by catholics as a triumverate

-The Trinity
                                -The People
                                -The Church

you attack one - you attack all.

I don not agree with alot of the churches teachings - I believe that some of its teachings are stuck in the 16th Century - however it is still wrong to attack a faith.

The church did many things wrong - some of its priests are/were evil men - the thing it did wrong was to cover this up. I fully agree that this was wrong. However - and this is important - it was a minority of priest which have actually been abusers- in fact it is little different to the regular population of men in the same bracket!
                                I am not defending the church for covering it up - HOWEVER - both Protestant, Orthodox, (and I am sure Jewish) organisations have ALL been involved in simmilar.

On another issue - I would suggest hat the ritual physical abuse of baby boys by the Jewish faith (the Bris) could be concieved by some as a bad thing

There is a certain naievite in this place. Everyone shouts 'down with formal religion!'

They forget that certainly Chrisianity (and probably Judaism) would have dissappeared before the Mongol and the Muslim had catholicism not been there.

They forget that the bulk of the world never had the ability to think about their religion - without some form of structured faith there would be barbarism.

I do like the Orthodox way - it makes a lot of sense

RedRed

Comment

Working...
                                X