Final Fantasy X-2, Second Look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Fantasy X-2, Second Look

Ok, I fired this game up again, after scoring the manual from my local Hollywood Video (99 cent rental special, baby!).

So it turns out you CAN put the game into semi-wait mode. Makes it a little easier. But it only waits while you're picking targets, or deciding which spell to use. I guess that's better than nothing, although part of me that loved the classic FF's resents Square's insistence on turning this into an action game.

Anyway, it took a while but I've come to agree with Square-Enix that this IS an extension of the job system from FF Tactics, which was a GREAT system, and still is.

I think the thing that's so off-putting is that they ARE trying to capture a very specific audience... the same people that buy "Princess Maker" games. And, in an ancillary manner, perhaps some female players. But mostly just the "PM" fans.

I don't think ANYONE would be complaining if the job-changes didn't involve "dress spheres" and slutty outfits on spectacularly under-endowed CG girls.

It was clearly a well-calculated move on Square's part. At first, I thought that someone must have sat around their offices saying "you know what would be cool? putting lots of different outfits on these chicks! yeah, let's do that!"

But it has become clear that a LOT of thought and design time went into making the game work as a whole.

Yes, it's still "pretty princess dress-me-up", but regardless it's fun and engaging. I don't know how well it will stand up in the long-run, but so far it's decent.

The sphere grids have to be populated, you have to get spheres, you have to do missions to get spheres, and you have to fill a grid to unlock the big combos. No more elementals or aeons, you get uber-outfits instead. That's pretty cool, actually. Virtually every element from previous FF games is here, just done up as a "dress me up" sort of thing.

Elementals - Ultimate outfits
    Black Mage - Black Mage dressphere

Etc. etc. etc.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Oh, and the only thing that I really MISS from previous games is the weapons and armor. The outfit changes pretty much made that a moot point, so it's completely GONE. You change to warrior, you get a sword that is commeasurate with your level of experience.

You change to a Black Mage, you get a cool staff.

And you learn attacks that add elements and whatnot to your weapon. It's part of the job/ability system. So as a warrior the first ability you learn (unless you change it, of course - this is the first REALLY non-linear FF game) is "Flamebrand", which adds the fire element to your sword.

Also special abilities take up MP, which eliminates the "oh look I have 8 characters and only one is a mage so why do they all have MP" thing.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

So it's growing on ya isn't it?

My buddy has been playing it for a week now and he's already at Level 52 and 55% of the game complete. Hmmm, since he's playing a lot of FF-X2 thanI should be able to borrow his Soul Caliber II that way I can kick his ass more than twice every 25 games!
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Yeah, I have a feeling it will go quicker than the last couple did.

I still have to go back and finish 9 and 10.

- Gurm

Comment

FFX is soooo easy, with Yuna I have One MP Cost, Auto-Haste and DoubleCast. So that means that I can hit the enemy 4 times before the actual battle even begins. I think I got hit twice by the end boss. He's also supposed to transform after a certain amount of damage, and guess what? I never even got to see his second form CAUSE I killed him so fast! That's how easy it was.

Comment

Yah I never found FFX to be challenging, I just never FINISHED it.

Comment

Oh! I see. Well what are you waiting for??

Comment

Working...
              X