No announcement yet.

your personal speed record on a bicycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know a guy who told a story about riding his 12 speed on the interstate. This psycho claimed he was riding downhill on the shoulder and was shocked to find he was catching up to a semi! He claimed 55mph.. which I'm not sure I believe, but it seemed to have scared the living shite outta him.

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III
      I've pushed near 40mph on flat terrain on my road bike in the summer on my training rides!

Then again, I don't drive and commute by bicycle, so far having covered about 4600 miles this year. Should hit at least 6000 miles next year!
      Hats off to you! I used to do a lot of biking, but now I find my car is more cushy.

Besides, it would suck right now to bike, it's snowing like MAD here!!
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I know a guy who told a story about riding his 12 speed on the interstate. This psycho claimed he was riding downhill on the shoulder and was shocked to find he was catching up to a semi! He claimed 55mph.. which I'm not sure I believe, but it seemed to have scared the living shite outta him.
        i believe a semi creates a vacuum as it travels. it is possible your acquaintance was sucked behind it. at least, i have heard similar stories.
        as for myself, i think i have gotten up to 10km/h [estimate] on a bike before falling over and injuring myself. i have a problem with gravity.
        "both boredom and hysteria are the enemies of reason." -cliff geertz

Comment

I got my Specialized HardRock up to 57km/h going downhill once. Never again though, there was a fairly sharp corner at the bottom, and there was some gravel on the road too. Very scary.

I had my 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 up to about 165km/h, and it wouldn't go no mo'. I need a faster bike
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

About 40mph on a peugot racer, on the flat. , there aren't any roads long or straight enough down here.

Comment

Nothing better seeing a speeding cyclist disappear into the bushes and go tits up.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Especially if she has a pair
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

On a bicycle ... nothing official, but I've topped out at about 65-70 kph.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

About 40mph, but on a mild downhill. Hey, it's a '99 Homegrown with Michelin Hot-S, not exactly made for top speeds
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III

Then again, I don't drive and commute by bicycle, so far having covered about 4600 miles this year. Should hit at least 6000 miles next year!
                      Damn, you're doing 4600 to 6000 miles a year?
                      I'm satisfied when reaching 2000 to 3000 km (not miles ) a year (actually I drove 2300 km this year). Maybe I should intensify my training.
                      Last edited by Lambo-Fan; 15 December 2003, 14:10.
                      Asus H97 Pro Gamer| Intel i5 4690K| Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB | Soundblaster ZxR | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600| LG 24 MP88HV-S

Comment

All my training is done in the summer. Of those 4600 miles, about 2500 were over the summer. I only started biking rather seriously in June, so I'm expecting quite a bit more for next year.

Don't have time for training during the school year.

I'll see if I can go for nearly-everyday swimming to stay in shape over winter break. That should make me quite a bit stronger when combined with cycling.

Would be really sweet to be in shape for racing by summer...
                        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I've hit 25 mph on inline skates for about 2-3 blocks... Had a guy driving a motorcycle beside me to measure that one.

Of course, that was a few years ago when I was closer to my best shape... Don't think I can do that now...

I know I've gone faster than that on a bike, just never had the equipment to measure it (and I haven't been on a bike for almost 10 years...

I need to get back in shape. Err... and round isn't the shape I had in mind.

Comment

i have managed 64kph in my younger days...
                            "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Working...
                            X