Why is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it?

Why is it when you FINALLY have a long weekend with the wife & kiddie and plan some fun the F*****G hot water heater cracks, dumping 60 gallons of water on the basement floor??

Fortunately the water heater and furnace are next to a big fat floor drain. Thank God for small favors.

$350 USD later I got the new one home, opened the box and found out the new ones are connected nothing like the old one was

This, of course, meant another $75 USD to replace the vent stack, gas lines, gas pressure safety fitting and re-plumb the water pipes.

IF I EVER MEET MURPHY I'M GONNA EVISCERATE THE SONOFABITCH!!

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 September 2004, 01:29.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

ROFLMAO!! Sorry Doc, but as one of my mentors used to say: no pleasure but malicious pleasure! (Hope it translates well...) Ah, the spoiled long weekends due to bad luck....

You do know though that when you meet Murphy, he'll have a bigger gun than you.....

Hope you'll catch up soon.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
      he'll have a bigger gun than you.....

Hope you'll catch up soon.
      That doesn't sound too good. Hope Dr M is faster on the draw
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Kinda late to mention now, but if you drain some water out of the tank once a month through the bottom valve it will last longer, especially if you have hard water.

Comment

And periodically replace the anode.

Comment

Personally... I wanna hunt down Murphy and show him just what can go wrong with coming up with so called """laws"""!
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I've done monthly draining and regular anode exchanges for years....it was just fate I guess

As for the gun: think Murphy has anything bigger than a .76 caliber? That's my biggest bang-stick

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Any idea why the anodes didn't protect you from corrosion?

Comment

Just took a look at it this morning. Best I can tell the pressure relief valve seat and the adjacent glass liner both cracked. Probably metal fatigue since the heater was ~20 years old.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I feel your pain Doc.
                    36 hours before our flight left for China to pick our new daughter the hot water hose to our washer blew.
                    While we were out of the house for several hours.
                    In our upstairs laundry room.

Thanks God for plaster walls and wood floors.
                    If we had sheetrock we would still be digging out of collaped ceilings & walls.

I had thought to myself several times: "Self, 'bout time to change the washer hoses"

But, you get busy and things drop off the end of the list.

Everything is fixed now but the foors in our office (next to the laundrey room).
                    I have no idea where we will put all that crap while the floors are being refinished.

Chuck
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Think I will abandon the idea of an upstairs laundry room in my fictional future house.

Comment

UPSTAIRS laundry room? NOF**KINGWAYINHELL!!

Laundrys belong in a well drained basement, right next to the water heater.

I just wish we'd have had enough bux on hand to get one of those new tankless hot water heaters. No tank, no leaks.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Holy crap you had a 20 year old hot water heater?!
                          Most of the stand alone heater tanks I've seen last 5-7 years if you're lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                            Think I will abandon the idea of an upstairs laundry room in my fictional future house.
                            Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                            UPSTAIRS laundry room? NOF**KINGWAYINHELL!!

Laundrys belong in a well drained basement, right next to the water heater.

Dr. Mordrid
                            kvh-
                            Just remember to change the hoses once a year.
                            With the kevlar (or similar) braided kind.
                            Stainless isn't, in the presence of some cleaning products (bleach).
                            And, they make pans with drains to put them in. (which we now have. )
                            Do as I say, not as I do....

Doc-
                            1, It is over the, well drained, garage.
                            2, You can't even imagine the convenience untill you've had one.
                            Our Laundry is washed 15 feet from our bedroom, on the same level.
                            This has saved us hundreds of hours over the course of 15 years.

Chuck

PS Doc- My washer hoses weren't nearly as old as your water heater
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                              Doc-
                              1, It is over the, well drained, garage.
                              2, You can't even imagine the convenience untill you've had one.
                              Our Laundry is washed 15 feet from our bedroom, on the same level.
                              This has saved us hundreds of hours over the course of 15 years.

Chuck

PS Doc- My washer hoses weren't nearly as old as your water heater
                              We have a laundry chute in the bedroom that dumps into a hamper next to the washer/dryer. Yes, we have to go up/down stairs...but then the exercise is good for us.

Guess we did get our money's worth out of that thing. It was in the house when we bought it in '93.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X