No announcement yet.

Liquid armor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

g means gram, not grain, in my language, Doc. I was thinking of what is used in the army, a lump of steel jacketed lead about 5 cm long and 0.303 calibre (0.770 mm), fired optionally from a Small Magazine Lee-Enfield long-barrel rifle or a Bren gun. The SMLE was remarkably accurate even up to ~1 km, although its spec said 500 yards, because its long barrel with progressive rifling put a very fast spin on the bullet. The Bren wasn't much good at >~200 m, because the bullets started to fly sidewise after that but, as it was fully automatic, it made a good spray gun to cut the legs off a line of advancing infantry. The worst gun I've ever used was a Sten gun, made largely out of bent tin. It was a close-combat automatic weapon, effective up to 20 m using 9 mm rounds of the same type as a 9 mm Colt revolver. It was more dangerous for the user than the used against! If you gripped it too tightly, the recoiling breech block would take off the tips of your fingers

As for hitting grapefruit, I found lead pellets in one I picked from our back garden a few years back. Some "hunter" (read poacher) not obeying the law that states that guns must not be discharged within 300 m of houses (our garden backs onto state-owned open forest). I've often heard the patter of shot landing on our roof. I could start a lead mine
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
      Much of the energy would be distributed as a shockwave radiating throughout the jackets fluid as it compresses, eventually becoming heat but spread over most of the jackets surface area.

Much of the rest would be absorbed in the usual Kevlar way: stretching the fabric matrix plus leaving one helluva bruise on the wearer.
      yeah, but how effective is it going to be about distributing the force across the wearers body so that the wearer does not wind up with rather vicious bruises?
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Cool technology. BTW have fleschettes been banned? (instead of a bullet. lots of small barbed spikes) They were very evil.

Comment

Just a non-newtonian fluid shirley?
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

AFAIK fleschettes have not been banned, and in fact those in the US can get shotgun fleschette rounds for use in home defense.

Their advantage for that purpose is that they don't penetrate walls well, keeping them in your house and not in your neighbors house etc.

They're also wicked as hell on impact. Some prefer them to buckshot.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I seem to remember something about flesechettes being banned under geneva conventions because they cause "undue suffering" or some crap like that. not positive about that one though.
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

The UN and others have been after Israel for using flechettes vs. the Palestinians, but according to Janes Defence Weekly;
                The use of flechette rounds in war is not proscribed by the Geneva Convention but their use in internal security operations is more problematic.
                Janes is the pre-eminent authority on military affairs.

My analysis is that if flechettes are used in a mass anti-personnel weapon, as in a tank shell to be used against mass formations of ground troops, then it may violate the Geneva Conventions.

That said I don't think its a violation when used in a firearm that is intended for use against a single target.

Whole article;

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 November 2004, 16:17.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

ahh, thanks for the clarification...

Comment

And the word for today is Thixotropic

As in that is some damn cool thixotropic armour.

Comment

thermobaric grenades 0wnz j00

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                        And the word for today is Thixotropic

As in that is some damn cool thixotropic armour.
                        Thixotropy is the opposite effect of what you need. As I said earlier, it is when the rheology of a liquid changes to a lower viscosity under shear stress, as in non-drip paint. The effect of the viscosity increasing under shear stress is sometimes called antithixotropy, but I think this is a coined word. As far as I'm aware, there is no single scientific word for this phenomenon, which is what would stop the bullet.

A very critical example of thixotropic rheology is applying solder paste to printed circuits during assembly. The paste has to flow freely when it is squeegeed through a metal stencil but it must not slump when the stencil is lifted, so the gel time must be less than 1 second. The viscosity increases from typically 5,000 to 250,000 centipoises in this time.
                        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                          The UN and others have been after Israel for using flechettes vs. the Palestinians, but according to Janes Defence Weekly;Janes is the pre-eminent authority on military affairs.

My analysis is that if flechettes are used in a mass anti-personnel weapon, as in a tank shell to be used against mass formations of ground troops, then it may violate the Geneva Conventions.

That said I don't think its a violation when used in a firearm that is intended for use against a single target.

Whole article;

Dr. Mordrid
                          what i think he might mean is that the m16 bullet used to tumble before entry and $%^&ing up anything it grazed like vietcong heads
                          as for the 30-06 awesome rifle take down a moose with a single shot and I believe its what you call "inherently accurate"
                          DFI NFIIUltra 400
                          756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
                          Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
                          Windows XP pro
                          msn messenger id: gchisel
                          Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

M-16's don't tumble before entry. If they did you wouldn't be able to hit a barn door with them. Their light weight and balance makes them tumble after entry, which causes one helluva lot of damage for such a light round (.223 caliber/55-62 grains for Ball ammo).

Trust me: I have an AR-15 (civilian version) and know well how it behaves both in and out of the target.

The 30-06 is an awesome hunting cartridge for lighter big game (deer etc.), but for anything larger than 200 lbs or very tough game (large deer, elk, bear, hawgs etc.) give me a 300 Winchester Magnum, 375 H&H or my trusty .58 cal Hawken buffalo rifle w/530 grain bullet.

{EDIT: typed .50 cal first time. That guns over the fireplace}

The Hawken only shoots one round, but what a round

Dr. Mordrid
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 November 2004, 22:50.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

mmmm, .50 cal. personally, I cannot wait to get my hands on this.

personally, this would make a far better replacement for the M16/M4 than the XM8.

Comment

The XM109 would work

Dr. Mordrid
                                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                                X