Schmosef's new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schmosef's new car

So my Jeep has pissed me off for the last time.

Right now, I'm renting a Camry. I forgot what it was like to drive a vehicle that didn't vibrate like a bedroom appliance.

I've moved some money around and managed to free up $30k CDN. I plan to buy my new car outright because it's hard to get financing when you're self employeed.

The poll lists the vehicles that I'm going to be test driving next week. Let me know if you have a particular recommendations or caution about any one.

All the models would be new 2005 or possibly 2006.

A couple of points. I will be getting a 4WD/AWD version of any vehicle. I need an SUV because: a) I need the cargo room for moving computer equipment; b) a station wagon or mini van would kill my social life.

I refuse to buy Chrysler. Their cars might be good, but there are no reputable dealers in Toronto.
    Honda Element
    0%
    Kia Sportage
    0%
    Nissan X-Trail
    0%
    Hynudai Tuscon
    0%
    Mazda Tribute
    0%
    Toyota RAV4
    0%
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Toyota. Only one I've heard about, seen, so it can't be as expensive as the rest

Have you considered the 4WD Volvo? Not the SUV-like! (blah ), the V like. 30k CDN not enough for it? (probably...).
    But:
    - V (kombi), so plenty of possiblities of moving equipment
    - but at the same time...still Volvo, your social life would skyrocket

edit: 30k CDN is enough for RAV4? How much USD that is, 20k? Our prices really sadden me :/

edit: XC70
    And...eeek , all the Volvo's on PL site show signs of face lifting (and I don't like it :/ ), except for both XC's. Get the nice one while you can!
    Last edited by Nowhere; 28 August 2005, 14:32.

Comment

The Canadian $ is pretty strong right now. It's closer to $25K USD.

The XC70 starts around $47K CDN. I could afford it if I financed it, especially with the amount of down payment I could make, but it would be really difficult to get financing. On paper, I made less than $10K last year. I'm actually pretty pissed with my accountant about that, I'm planning on looking into options for refiling. I'm just lucky that I own my condo outright and won't need to negotiate a mortgage anytime soon.

Anyway, the XC70 is too much for me. I don't want to buy something so expensive that I have to obsess over maintaining it.

Comment

Look at it this way: at 47k CDN, it's a BARGAIN!!! Here it costs 65k USD... :/

(yep, I won't stop )

Comment

hahahahahahahaha

LOL!

Comment

Here Toyota Rav4 is mostly girl's suvs...
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Yeah, here too. Same with the Mazda Miata. The only reason I'm considering it is because of Toyota's reputation for quality. I'm going to have to consider it very carefully once I test drive it.

I was considering paying a little more for the Highlander but the 2006 models are all Hybrid and start in the early $40K range. Out of my league.

Comment

Landrover Freelander.
                It's an offroad vehicle.

It spends plenty of time offroad being fixed
                Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Couple other ones to look at:

Ford Escape...same as the Trubuite
                  Ford Freestyle...pretty much the same car as a Vovlo V70. Kinda boring to look at, but its pretty damn big and gets 30 MPG and AWD
                  Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Ford Escape, hmm... Domestic car dealers in Toronto have a very bad rep.

Maybe it's just me, but I have friends who have Hondas and Toyotas and Kias and are very happy with the service that they've received.

I've personally had very bad service with several Chrysler dealerships in Toronto and have been told bad things by friends with Fords and GMs.

I've added it to my list of cars to test drive though.

Comment

You already asked for my opinion, and half of the cars you're listing are plastic. Plastic and "SUV" don't mix. Plastic and WAGON don't really mix. Don't buy a plastic car. You'll regret it.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Well, my Jeep is made of good ole American Steel. And it sucks!

Comment

Maybe.. but you're still alive, eh?

Where's the button for "none of the above"? Those are all little girlie-men cars.

Comment

what do you drive KvH?

Comment

By choice or by necessity?

(You know I'm just teasing)

Comment

Working...
                              X