EU plans to end US Internet control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU plans to end US Internet control

Debates over which country or international body should control the Internet are nothing new, but yesterday's announcement by the UK concerning the future of Internet governance could force a showdown between those who favor the de facto US-centric control system (namely the US) versus those who don't (just about everyone else). As the Guardian reports, the EU has apparently decided to "end the US government's unilateral control of the internet and put in place a new body that would now run this revolutionary communications medium."

What isn't clear, however, is how the EU (or the UN body certain EU countries propose to form) would actually compel the US to turn over Internet control. The Guardian article glosses over this point, stating only that "faced with international consensus, there is little the US government can do but acquiesce." Given the United States' historical willingness to act against international consensus, I'm not certain the Guardian has reason to conclude the matter closed as confidently as it does; Ambassador Bolton isn't likely to endorse the concept of an international Internet governing body.

One real concern the Guardian article raises is how human rights would be protected under an international organization. Political pressure from countries that heavily monitor Internet usage, such as China, could impact and twist the development of new communication standards. Such pressure, if applied, could force an emerging standard to include surveillance or tracking capabilities that would otherwise be unacceptable.

Personally, I don't see the US bowing to international pressure on this topic anytime soon, and I can't imagine what'd do more damage to the Internet than to turn its governance over to a UN committee. I'm all for giving other countries fair and free access to the Internet—but not at the cost of its efficiency and ability to open new channels of communication for the otherwise oppressed.

and the orignal article:

After troubled negotiations in Geneva, the US may be forced to relinquish control of the internet to a coalition of governments.

Everyone's thoughts? Can it be done? Is it a good idea? Is it a bad idea?
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Dan and I have discussed this, and while I can't speak for him, I'm all for a non-US centric body to oversee this area; however, I am completely against that organizational body having any ties to the UN. The organization should be comprised of representatives from other organizations and companies that are vested in the future of the Internet as a whole.

As an American, I won't deny that I have little issues with the situation as it currently stands, and boo-hoo to nay-sayers, but I think we can all recognize that the Internet has grown far beyond its roots and there are groups currently in control that are more vested in their own survival rather than that of the Internet as a global communication medium.

I really doubt the US will so readily hand over control to anything that comes out of the EU, and if the latter pushes too hard I can see things fracturing in a not so good way. As an aside to that (link credit to Dan), I'm far more worried about situations like this than the aforementioned discussion. It's readily apparent that it is far too easy for companies that control the pipes, so to speak, to break ties and cut-off access to other like companies.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Well, since arpanet originated as a defense department project, and grew into the internet from there, naturally it is US based. If it was up to me I would say if you want your own system, go for it, but we aren't just going to bend over and give this up because you think if you whine long and loudly enough you'll get your way. But knowing how worthless our government can be in looking after our own interests (free trade agreements, etc.) I wouldn't be surprised whatever happens.

Sounds like phone deregulation all over again (yuck)

Comment

As to whether it is a good/bad idea, remember the maxim, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If the EU or UN has its way, there will be many layers of bureacracy attached to this, and God knows how much tinkering they would do.. I have no doubt the works would be thoroughly gummed up.

Comment

I'm just trying to figure out how, exactly, the EU thinks they will "wrest" control away from the US. I mean, it's not as if they have all the root level domain controllers or anything... *shrug*
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Eurobabble

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              I'm just trying to figure out how, exactly, the EU thinks they will "wrest" control away from the US. I mean, it's not as if they have all the root level domain controllers or anything... *shrug*
              All they have to do is set up their own. There are already a few out there.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What's the point, anyhow? This is just them trying to flex their muscles (but in a wussy, geeky way.. no wish to offend.. lol.)

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                  Well, since arpanet originated as a defense department project, and grew into the internet from there, naturally it is US based.
                  This may be so, but the world-wide-web originated in the Centre européen de récherche nucléaire (CERN) which is physically half in France and half in non-EU Switzerland. Without the WWW, the Internet would not be anything other than a physical network for geeks.
                  Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Well, someone needs to tell the French, so their perennially overactive egos can be assuaged.

Comment

Isn't there something about the colour pf pots and kettles?
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

US Maintains Control of Net

Much could be said about the thumping of chests that took place and likely shall, but the near future control of the Internet has been decided, and not much has changed. From Wired News:
                        Both sides declared victory Wednesday. "We agreed to establish a forum, at the same that we agreed that all governments have an equal role of responsibility in internet governance," said Yoshio Utsumi, secretary-general of the summit and head of the U.N.'s International Telecommunications Union. "That means that we have opened a new page in internet history at this summit."

The "Internet Governance Forum" will be comprised of national governments, technology companies and representatives of civil society. The government of Greece has offered Athens to host the first meeting of the forum, planned for the second quarter of 2006.

But as experts predicted before the settlement, the new body will have no real power. The painstakingly negotiated language assures the group will have "no oversight function and would not replace existing arrangements, mechanisms, institutions or organizations, but would involve them and take advantage of their expertise." Additionally, the forum "would have no involvement in day-to-day or technical operations of the internet."
                        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

In other words the EU gets its ego smooged while the US maintains control. Good.

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                          This may be so, but the world-wide-web originated in the Centre européen de récherche nucléaire (CERN) which is physically half in France and half in non-EU Switzerland.
                          Someone had better inform Al Gore of that. He still thinks he invented it in his garage

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

Someone had better inform Al Gore of that. He still thinks he invented it in his garage

Dr. Mordrid
                            Isn't there some saying about repeating a particular sort of statement over and over again in hopes of getting people to believe it?
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                              In other words the EU gets its ego smooged while the US maintains control. Good.

Dr. Mordrid

I wonder on which side of the pond the ego is bigger though

Comment

Working...
                              X