X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dino on the dyno

Went to the dyno yesterday.

Here is a video of my car on the dyno

and an attachment of my dyno files (requires http://www.dynojet.com/downloads/zip/Winpep7.1.3.zip to view)

Remember not to confuse horsepower with wheel horsepower.

Typically when you hear the horsepower numbers of a vehicle, it's the SAE rated horsepower at the flywheel of the motor. By the time that power makes it's way though the drivetrain, there is considerable loss.

My car came with 140hp, but they'd typically put down 110 to the wheels.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kooldino; 16 October 2005, 21:29.

Excellent. Reminds me of the good old days when I had a couple of power cars. Wheel dynos weren't very common then. Tuning was mostly done on the track or with the motor out of the car. Don't remember why...

Comment

Pick up that 25,000lb of lead and the race is still on.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

For those of us who don't want to install the software, what is your wheel HP now?
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
          For those of us who don't want to install the software, what is your wheel HP now?
          For the lazy folk that don't want to download the video or the software, here's my best pull (note that the RPMs are 1000rpm too low for some reason):
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
            Pick up that 25,000lb of lead and the race is still on.
            lmao.

as long as I can put the weight over my drive wheels.

Comment

274HP? Damn...
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Did some calculations to try to pick out my next turbo. Check out the compressor efficiency maps and the attached excel file for mind numbing goodness.

Comment

Don't know much about mixing turbines and car engines, but the dots on that second graph go into the surge range, which might not be a good thing if that's accurate.

Comment

Good point, but as I noted:

Note: For my calculations, I assumed the exact same spool up time as my current 60 trim T3. This is very pessimistic, since both of the 28's are known to have a much faster spool time than my T3. Therefore, on both of the 28's, the first 4 points would end up being shifted up and to the right, which is closer to the sweet spot of the turbo.
                    i.e. - it likely wouldn't be in the surge range since the turbos wouls spool faster and bring those first few dots up and to the right. But nonetheless, it's something worth noting.

Comment

Bump for zokes. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                        Bump for zokes. :P
                        Hey cool, thanks!

I sorta get the graphs. There's still a ton I don't know and I really have no clue when you start getting into those calculations but anyways. Sounds like the gt2871r will give you more boost as it can handle a higher rpm range? (from the surge limit, according to your plotting points) Not sure.

Kinda offtopic: Did you think about getting stiffer stablizers for better traction, aside from an LSD? (not sure if I mentioned that before)

What's a 'Coprophiliac'?
                        Titanium is the new bling!
                        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                          Hey cool, thanks!

I sorta get the graphs. There's still a ton I don't know and I really have no clue when you start getting into those calculations but anyways. Sounds like the gt2871r will give you more boost as it can handle a higher rpm range?
                          Well, I'm not looking to run more boost (I'd still like to run 17psi), but it would be a more temperature/power efficient 17psi.

Kinda offtopic: Did you think about getting stiffer stablizers for better traction, aside from an LSD? (not sure if I mentioned that before)
                          Not sure what you mean by stabilizers?

As for an LSD, I tore apart the trans and rebuilt it with an LSD this summer. Twice in one week (long story). I ended up going with a Quaife LSD, the best kind of diff money can buy.

Mazdas247 is an independent community featuring Discussion Forums, Classifieds and Resources for Mazda vehicles.

What's a 'Coprophiliac'?
                          "one who loves feces" or something along those lines. I actually got that title because someone else had that title, and when I asked wtf it was, they made it my title. Oh, well.

Comment

Well, I'm not looking to run more boost (I'd still like to run 17psi), but it would be a more temperature/power efficient 17psi.
                            I see, well that's good. (I was looking at the surge limit of the turbo itself, seemed to turn at a lower rpm that your original, which is probably why it runs cooler?)

Not sure what you mean by stabilizers?

As for an LSD, I tore apart the trans and rebuilt it with an LSD this summer. Twice in one week (long story). I ended up going with a Quaife LSD, the best kind of diff money can buy.

Mazdas247 is an independent community featuring Discussion Forums, Classifieds and Resources for Mazda vehicles.
                            There's a strut brace you can get, helps stabilize the top part of your suspension, but I'm talking about the stabilizer bar. (or anitroll bar as mentioned in this crappy pic) For traction I don't think there's anything else you can do, unless your hardcore and get polyurethane bushins for everything, as they are more rigid. Aside from getting those small little wings that fit on either side of your front fender, there's not much else you do to get better traction in front, IMO.

But that's cool you got the Quaife LSD. Probably makes a difference than without. I've never actually driven a car with one so I don't know how it feels.

"one who loves feces" or something along those lines. I actually got that title because someone else had that title, and when I asked wtf it was, they made it my title. Oh, well.
                            LOL
                            Titanium is the new bling!
                            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                              I see, well that's good. (I was looking at the surge limit of the turbo itself, seemed to turn at a lower rpm that your original, which is probably why it runs cooler?)
                              There are many reasons that the newer turbos produce cooler air than my T3, and the RPM can certainly be one of them.

Not sure what you're trying to say about the surge limit, as you always want to be to the RIGHT of that line.

There's a strut brace you can get, helps stabilize the top part of your suspension, but I'm talking about the stabilizer bar. (or anitroll bar as mentioned in this crappy pic) For traction I don't think there's anything else you can do, unless your hardcore and get polyurethane bushins for everything, as they are more rigid. Aside from getting those small little wings that fit on either side of your front fender, there's not much else you do to get better traction in front, IMO.
                              That's just a swaybar. The MP3s came with swaybars and strutbars from the factory.

But that's cool you got the Quaife LSD. Probably makes a difference than without. I've never actually driven a car with one so I don't know how it feels.
                              It's not very noticable in a straight line, but I can take a tight turn at full throttle and grip the whole way through. The combined G's of the acceleration of this car along with the lateral G's it can pull (about 1G on a perfect surface) is insane.

edit: you can see the front strut tower bar in the dyno video.
                              Last edited by Kooldino; 21 October 2005, 12:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X