No announcement yet.

really interesting health study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh I remember high school. Lunch was usually one of those big cheese infused bread things they had which were super greasy, washed down with a soda and folllowed by some preserved chocolate desert. Sometimes curly fries were added to the meal. Thinking about it makes me want to throw up now-a-days.

Finding freaking real juice in portable bottles is a pain in the US. The big jugs of orange juice or apple juice are available, but the smaller ones are usually Dole's high fructose corn syrup water with juice flavoring. I've never really liked Odwalla (a juice company) though, but once in a while I run into these guys. The prices are similar to Odwalla, but 100 times better stuff, really limited distribution though.

For tea check out the packages from Stash and Yogi Tea. Very good, high quality tea bags. Just boil water, pour over and brew for a few minutes. Yogi Tea has one labeled De-Tox. I've been drinking it whenever I feel bloated or after a weekend of partying and it really does make me feel better. It says not to drink if you are pregnant though (just a warning... just in case ). Those companies are from Oregon, so fairly available here, not sure about the rest of the states.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I agree tap water may have the same standards of purity, hygiene etc., but a) I hate the smell of chlorine (and I can smell it at ppt levels! ) and b) I prefer the half-fizzy bottled water. We always use tap water for tea/coffee/cooking because the heat drives off the chlorine.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Our tapwater does neither smell nor taste like Chlorine. I'm sure there's some in it, but very very little. There are also carbonators widely and cheaply available, with which you press compressed gas into your water to make it sparky.
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
          There are also carbonators widely and cheaply available, with which you press compressed gas into your water to make it sparky.
          In some countries, but not here. My daughter, in Switzerland, has one but never uses it because it adds far too much CO2 and a CO2 cartridge is almost as expensive as a bottle of green-top (half-fizzy) water from Migros or Denner. Unfortunately, there is no green-top water here (in fact the only fizzy waters are imported and very gassy, like Perrier, and are bloody expensive), so I'm resigned to drinking flat bottled water. In the height of summer (temps >40++ deg C, RH <20%), we drink ~3 l/day each + tea/coffee/fruit juices, so fizzy water would be a no-no, anyway.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

With the units that are sold here, the "fizziness" of the water depends on how long you push the button, and a cartridge lasts for quite a few bottles. Plus, you don't have to lug the water + bottles around.

Perrier is not even really good water

In the summer, 50% apple juice + 50% carbonated water is absolutely fantastically refreshing. For this purpose, very fizzy water is actually quite nice.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Hmm...apparently at least something is good about living in this shithole...

(well, TBH water quality varies - generally it's bad in places which took it from rivers (chlorine and stuff...), excluding mountains, but if a town has very deep water source the water is very good, clear, with no smell - you can drink it from the tap (in extreme cases, as in my hometown, basically exactly the same water is sold in bottles)

Comment

Flavored, sugarless carbonated waters here. Meijers sells 1 liter bottles 3 for $2 USD and they're darned good. My faves are key lime and tangerine lime, though the wife prefers peach, straberry kiwi and black cherry. Erik also goes with key lime.

Neither of us is a coffee drinker at all but we do keep several teas and 1/2% milk on hand.

Otherwise it's various wines, brandy or beer....most of which is alcohol free but not always.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 May 2006, 06:05.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                X