No announcement yet.

Why are nerds unpopular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally agree, we keep reminding our kids that they are always loved and that we will always be there for them no matter what.

Comment

Geeessshhh, not only are y'all nerds but a bunch of wusses too!

:d
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Nerds, geeks, bullying, etc. is one area that is lacking in the world of psychology. I just picked up my Adolescent Development textbook as a refresher on the subject - they devote only about 1 full page to bullying - and not a single thing is included about how to deal with it. Only who is more likely to be bullied, or who is more likely to be the bully.
        The text however did lead me to some names of people who have done work in the field.

Found out about a book by this professor: http://www.luc.edu/psychology/facult...barino_j.shtml
        might help.

Title: And words can hurt forever : how to protect adolescents from bullying, harassment, and emotional violence / James Garbarino and Ellen deLara.
        Published: New York : Free Press, 2002.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
          Geeessshhh, not only are y'all nerds but a bunch of wusses too!

We could make some minor changes to the name MURC: M->N, C->D....
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Cheers Guys. I don't think there are any real answers, but universally the advice we are getting is to reinforce his self worth at home, and as Chuck says, that CAN be very hard - he's already had two yellings at this morning

He's no geek though, you'd think he'd be super excited by a new TV...
            FT.

Comment

True, there are no real answers... Somehow sad to see times haven't really changed. A colleague told me his younger brother was considered a cool geek in school and the colleague had the impression this was even a more general thing (to which he added: unlike when I was in school, so there is another one... ). But apparently not..
              Somehow, I find it reassuring to see that many of us had a tough time in high school. I wanted so much to be older and have that time over with. The only sad thing is that I don't actually have that many memories from high school.

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
              that CAN be very hard - he's already had two yellings at this morning
              "Quit hogging the Wii, and let your old man play." ?
              Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
              He's no geek though, you'd think he'd be super excited by a new TV...
              You put it in the wrong room...
              (just kidding of course)

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Tell him to be patient, 5-10 years he will most likely laughing at where/how the bullys end up. whereas he will be more than likely living very comfortably

Comment

Working...
                X