Pentium 4: More speed in the pipeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guru
    Heard that the P4 800fsb will cost ~ 20€ more then the same 400/533 models!
    that's encouragin :-)
    The P4 lives and shines with LOTS of MHz
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

IIRC amd said the first A64 will be 800MHz at US$1099, not sure if thats retail price or price of 1000.

I think, like Itanium, it is just not meant to be for consumers...

In terms of Pi calculation or something like that, I doubt the 800MHz A64 would be faster than the (then) fastest Xeon...
      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Wy, I think you got something wrong.

If you talk about bus speeds, AMD doesn't use a conventional bus with the A64. If you talk about core frequency, then 800MHz are the speed of which the Sledgehammer (opteron) samples ran at last spring. I say you should expect far higher frequencies than that at launch. And that's the Opteron, the Athlon 64 should run a fair bit faster!

Comment

Yes you are right and I was confused, sorry.
          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Damn i wondered when P4's architecuture will reach its clock limit...

Comment

Don't worry, when it does, Intel will double the pipeline length again, up the clock by 80%, and call it the Pentium5
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

No doubt!

Comment

There is a yer old article on anandtech where they show an air cooled p4 @ 10GHz!
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
                  X