No announcement yet.

Stupid XP bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, what virus scanner is everyone using? I'm using McAfee VirusScan corp version (4.5.1 sp1) on all my machines, and am not experiencing the problem on any of them.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

We Use McAfee at work, but I use Norton 2002 at Home: same problem on both boxes...
      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Question. Do the people who experience this have their systems setup to single click to open or to doubleclick to open. I do not have the problem and I am setup to single click to open files, so that they automatically get selected on mouseover.
        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I've got no problems and doubleclick to open

Comment

I'm on call at the moment, stealing a moment on the hospital computer. Gone back to work
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Mine is set to doubleclick as well, with no problems.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Doubleclick here, no problems.

Comment

At least here at school on a P4 win XP rig no sign of this...wow guess the district finally did something semi-right for a change...

~Sethos
                  "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

No Problem here

I don't see it here on my dual Xeon 1.7Ghz. Using AVG Pro and set to double click - no active desktop - all patches installed. My CPU usage goes to 53% then goes to about 3%.

cc

Comment

It happens on my XP2000+. How very odd....
                      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

The Inquirer = The LieQuirer.

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Steps to try:

Open up Task Manager,
                          Go to Performance.

Open up "My Computer"

Then a Single Right Click on C: drive...

On my Intel Duallie, this is what I get:

On single CPU Machines the CPU pegs at 100%
                          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Well...in that case I have it too (and cpu usage is at 100% as long as the right click menu of drive c: is visible).

Although that's not a big problem for me...
                            btw, in tasks list it is visible that explorer is the thing eating cpu...

oh, and I've got AthlonXP 1700+ (palomino)

Comment

This is the referenced bug...why it happens is a mystery...but at least now we have a built-in CPU Burning in tool...:P

Comment

I figured it out! Yay me! It's to do with the "show common tasks in folders" setting. I've always set it back to classic folders, so I've never had the problem. Check it out.

Classic folders:

XP default folders:

Everybody check to see if this reproduces the problem for you...

Comment

Working...
                                X