Christmas Shopping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy
    that would give me a 91GB RAID 5 array which whilst useless for my archived movies, would be perfect for my irreplacable documents and pictures.
    Do you have that many documents and pictures? Take two drives and RAID 1 them, use the third drive as a hot spare or an offline backup. 18GB.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Cheers!

I'm gonna go for these. Even though these are cheaper AND have 2MB cache, the part number indicates that they are an engineering sample - and I am not sure if they are going to be compatible.... If anyone thinks otherwise, i've got 20hours before the auction ends
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I would not be too scared of engineering samples, those CPU's look like they have worked for many years, judging from the dust.. if you can get 4 for a total of $20, why not get them and if they don't work, pick up the other ones later.. there will be more in the future
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Ok.. I was recommended Hammer Snipe - so i'll give it a go... If i get them .. well it's only £10!!
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

http://www.auctionsniper.com/default.aspx is the one I have tried
            .. and yes.. bidding now is a silly idea.. unless you go for the buy now option, but it is a few $ more

Comment

hammersnipe seems nice though.. for one thing, it is free... the auctionsniper site you only get 3 free snipes

Comment

well. . i think it is dodgy, but if i had used it when i bought the server, i could have saved ~ 70USD!

Comment

Havent started... I'm hoping for some inspiration tomorrow

Comment

Be careful buying CPUs for a ProLiant. They're often different from standard. At the very least, the heatsinks are custom and have special mounting hardware.
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

This file may help you with various options. It's the QuickSpecs for the server you bought. Has lots of info on memory and hard disk configs. It's a little weak on the processor info though, just compaq part numbers really.
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

By the way, you were talking a while back in this thread about using PATA RAID in the Proliant. I'm not sure if you're aware (if you are, ignore me) but there's no place to mount PATA drives in it. There may not even be space to rig up a mounting bracket. These things were (and still are) designed for using the hot-swap scsi drive cage exclusively.

Power will also be an issue. There aren't any extra standard power connectors coming off the power supply. There's only one or two total, and they're dedicated to the CD and possibly the tape drive. The SCSI backplane has custom power connectors.

Comment

Cheers... I'll have to wait and see what it's like.
                          It will have a PCI slot and I can physically mount the drives externally - and if I need to use another PSU, then I have a 330W spare
                          It's all in consideration

Cheers though guys!

I've decided not to bid on the Xeon as I've just noticed that they were PII not PIII - mustn't use ebay after beer!

There are some 1MB cache PIII 500s there which I'll try and get.

Comment

Is this machine Slot 1 or Slot 2?
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have it! **ck me it's big! and heavy, and noisey

I can't seem to get it to work though

There are two powersuplys - both work.

When it powers up, i hear four quick beeps and typical HD churning during POST, and then one long(er) beep - which I think is coming from the DLT.

There is no video output, and the keyboard (ps2) doesn't light.

On looking inside, there is a 'compaq IO' board that seems to output everything (inc video???).

I've contacted the vendor and they will ship out a graphics card, although after xmas.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                                Is this machine Slot 1 or Slot 2?
                                Are all Xeons from the slot days not slot2?

Comment

Working...
                                X