No announcement yet.

Christmas Shopping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm.. there are two balnk plates missing from the PCI slots... i wonder if there used to be a PCI graphics card in there and then someone removed it... i wonder if the onboard graphics (if that's what the IO board is) has been disabled????
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Image 1
      Image 2
      Image 3
      Image 4
      Image 5
      Image 6

fixed links!
      Last edited by Paddy; 24 December 2004, 07:16.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

That is HUGE!
        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

it makes up for er... well.. ahem..

It would be nice to get it working!

I think they have pinced the NIC and +/- graphics card...

Comment

Doh! There was a 3A fuse in one of the power leads!
            It blew straight away... hmm.. that doesn't look promising...

assming it is drawing > 3A, so say 4A. That is ~ 1KW/hour, which is ~ 5.5p/hour, which = £1.32 per day!!, which = £481 per year!!!!!! I hope my maths is wrong! (and i certainly wont be running it with both PSUs!)

It posts fine, but complains that there is no RAID array configured. It wants a Compaq Raid config program.

Off to their site.. .

Comment

Power supplies don't always draw their rating, just what they need. Boot time is a heavy draw. It will normally run with much less power.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Did it come with any software? You'll need a copy of the SmartStart CD to configure the hardware before you can proceed to install an OS. If you don't have it, I could possibly put up an image of it, but that may not be legal. I'm not sure what the licensing rules are for that software. I know it's not downloadable.

After you get it installed, you can get the latest Support Pack from the HP website, which updates all the drivers automatically. Of course, you'll need to get your video and keyboard working first. These things do take a long while (up to a minute even) to post before anything appears on screen.

Oh, your last post seems to imply that you got the video working, is that true?

PM me if you need SmartStart.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

yup, video and keyb working

I get an error saying that my RAID array needs configuring and then the standard 'insert system disk'

looking good!

Comment

Just noticed, this should get you started:

System erase utility: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/17918.html. Use this first to wipe the system so you're sure you're starting fresh.

System configuration utility: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/13227.html. Use this to configure the hardware. I'm not sure if it includes the Array configuration utility, but if it does, you won't need the SmartStart CD.

Once you get windows installed, you'll want to install the latest support pack. For windows 2000, use this one: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/19613.html.

For w2k3 use this one: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/19614.html

Edit: Go here for any other driver requirements: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...eriesId=254864
                    Last edited by agallag; 23 December 2004, 13:17.
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Am i right in thinking that I will need to install a server OS to use four CPUs?

Cheers agallag, i've just found those links myself!

Comment

Yeah, you'll need a server OS. XP Pro supports two physical CPUs max (up to 4 logical if you have a hyperthreading machine).

Comment

which one would you recommend.. if money were no object of course.

Currently, its a dual PII 400 xeon, but i hope to upgrade to a quad PIII 500

Comment

Oops, looks like I filled up your PM box. Anyway, here's my most recent message to you.

--

Here's a 10-pack of those modules for $.99, compatible with the 6500.

Comment

If it was me, I'd go with Windows Server 2003 Standard, but 2000 server would probably suit your needs just fine. Others will probably recommend some form of linux, but I'm a windows guy.

Comment

I'm a windows guy too! I think the minimum spec for 2K3 is 550MHz...

Comment

Working...
                                X