No announcement yet.

Public Beta2 of Vista out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 3 40GB HDs for OSes in my machine, and one 160GB for data storage. Currently running XP Pro, XP X64, and Vista B2, all with no problems. Vista is obviously not done yet, but it looks fairly decent so far...
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
      how big are the drives? you can always repartition with somnething like partition magic.
      Prim is 250 with ~100gb free. sec is 160 with ~ 30gb free.

me thinks the easiest thing to do would be to transfer important stuff to the primary and re-format the secondary. i'm not really impressed with XP64 and am coming to the conclusion that 64bit computing is a gimmick.

i've done plenty of multi OS systems, but this is my system and am nervous about trashing it.

quick story: way back in history, Spiraldragon decided (i might have encouraged him) to install winNT 5 beta on our NT 4 workstation (the one we used for a/v editing) on the nuke/test drive. w00sh, was that ever a mistake

needless to say, he spent quite a bit of time rebuilding the system (sorry SP).

I've read some reviews of vista beta 2, most concluded it was a tricked up (and slower) version of XP.
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

64 bit is certainly not a gimmick, it's just not really required on the average desktop at this time. Using it on a SQL or Exchange server that has 8GB+ of RAM, it makes an ENORMOUS difference. I'm sure on high end workstations it's a big benefit as well. If you're just running a home office or gaming machine with 1-2GB RAM, it's really not necessary.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

What agallag said. 64-bit has it's uses, but WinXP 64-bit is so under supported it's not worth it. MS claims that they are working with their vendors to make all Vista ready and Vista pre-installed system 64-bit processors with 64-bit Vista. This will supposedly get software makers to start coding for 64-bit more, thus getting the code more optimized. Plus, Vista will eventually need more than 4 GB of RAM To run decently
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Well I finally started downloading it sunday morning...at 2800KBps (have a month trial of my cable company new speed offer of 30/2 ) but it ****ed up some how and I had to re download it

What are the problems of running the 64bit verison vs 32 bit verison? Can I still use Office and play games? I know there are some compatibilty issues..but what are they?
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Drivers mostly. 32-bit drivers won't work, so there must be 64-bit compiled drivers for each device.

It's rare that at an app won't work. 32-bit runs near native in XP 64, and most test show little to no performance difference between running 32 vs. 64.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                Drivers mostly. 32-bit drivers won't work, so there must be 64-bit compiled drivers for each device.

It's rare that at an app won't work. 32-bit runs near native in XP 64, and most test show little to no performance difference between running 32 vs. 64.

Ah ok that works...I've been hearing problems with SATA and Vista..anyone running across this?

I think I'll install it tonight

Comment

Holy Crap Vista sucks donkey nuts on my system. I can't even get it to stay up longer then 5 minutes and it crashed several times during install. I'm not sure if its my system (was priviously ****ing up big time before I reinstalled it last week then it was fine) or what. I'm going to try to 32bit verison of Vista to see if that works

Comment

I downloaded both versions 64 and 32 bit, will install the 32 bit version on my dual AMD MP 2000 system to see how it runs.

One thing I have to ask, can you just upgrade from WinXP or is it a complete new install?

Thanks,
                    Elie

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
                      One thing I have to ask, can you just upgrade from WinXP or is it a complete new install?
                      I honestly don't know if you can do it, but I sure wouldn't call it an upgrade
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

well for whatever reason, the 32bit Verison of Vista works like a top with my system vs the 64 bit system that was lucky to stay up for 3 minutes or so after reaching the desktop

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                          well for whatever reason, the 32bit Verison of Vista works like a top with my system vs the 64 bit system that was lucky to stay up for 3 minutes or so after reaching the desktop
                          Probably driver issues.

Elie, no upgrades for beta 2. Clean installs only.

Comment

ok thanks guys!

I will have to get another drive strictly for Vista

Comment

I'm getting ready to burn the iso to DVD. Does Vista natively install IDE and SATA drivers or do I need to find out if Asus has vista drivers for me?
                              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Will work on all standard IDE/SATA controllers. I've installed it on my nForce 4 board without special drivers.

Comment

Working...
                                X