No announcement yet.

Vista: The 'Huh?' starts now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I could have mentioned that but not everyone views that as a viable option and would only go off on a rant about how horrible it is. So why bother.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Some Oo2 deployments caught my eye;

The state of Indiana deployed 300,000 Linux systems w/Oo2 (36,418 mi²
      (94,321 km²), population >6 million).

The University of Detroit deployed ~268 desktops in their High School as a pilot program.

Portland, Oregon public schools (city population 560,000, ~55,000 students).

State of Nevada Dept. of Corrections deployed ~1200 systems.

Not to mention a s***load of deployments in Europe, most of the Indian govt. etc.

Can't be as bad as some around here think, even under Linux
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 February 2007, 22:10.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

And how many businesses tried to transition to linux back in the dot-bomb era? Or Oracle?

just because it's been deployed doesn't mean a damn thing....
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

At this point in the game it doesn't mean much. Foreign governments are making the transition because they don't like how "in-bed" Microsoft is with the US government. That and Open Source appeals to those who like having the ability to check what the code in the software they're using is doing (which ties into the whole MS-US gov. thing).

There has also been a few that have quietly transitioned back to MS and Windows.

Still, the fact that there is an alternative that many are taking an active interest in is a good thing. I have no interest in seeing MS ruined, but there's more than enough room for competing solutions. Hopefully all those involved will realize it's to everyone's best interest to put some heavy focus on interoperability.

Comment

Linux will never make it as an everyman's OS - it can't run World of Warcraft.
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
              I posted the solution on the forum earlier in the week.
              My bad, must've missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post

It can and it can't. The WINE/WINEX/Codega community got WoW working on Linux. Or was it that other emultor? Can't remember, but they got it working. The problem is that Blizzard's anti-cheating system detects WoW running under Linux as ... well ... cheating. So all the Linux geeks that jumped on the WoW under Linux bandwagon got their accounts banned

@Admiral: No problem. The thread died pretty quickly, I don't think anyone replied to it.

Linkage: http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl.../11/15/1652222

Though it looks like Blizzard is allowing it now?

Jammrock
                Last edited by Jammrock; 5 February 2007, 07:46.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The fact that this just isn't that far from the truth, but is the truth is a scary example of how popular that game is. It amazes me how many people I know that rested their decision to switch to a Mac on the fact that WoW is available for OS X.

So much for the argument that there are no games for Macs - the most popular one is

Good on Blizzard for rectifying their mistake on banning the Linux users' accounts because of running WoW under Cedega.

Comment

Ah man - love that article.
                    Despite being a complete load of rubbish there were a few things in there that made me laugh, so it wasn't a complete waste of my time.
                    I think my favourite part of the article is:

All this confusion over versions and upgrade policies will motivate unknown millions of consumers to simply stick with Windows XP or move to a Mac

Imagines people walking into a computer store...

"Ah man, I'm a little bit confused by all these different versions of Vista"
                    "Oh dear, what shall I do..."
                    "I could ask the person behind the desk, they might be able to help me....."
                    "Nah, sod it - I'll take one MAC instead please"
                    LOL
                    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

ya know, the funny thing is, i have spoken to a number of people, who at their next pc upgrade probably will...
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Caught this on /.:

Bye-bye Windows! My three-month Macintosh trial has ended, but my permanent gig with the Mac is just getting started. Apple's MacBook Pro and Mac OS X are now my computer and operating system of choice.

If you give the Mac three months, as I did, you won't go back either. The hardest part is paying for it -- everything after that gets easier and easier. Perhaps fittingly, it took me the full three-month trial period to pay off my expensive MacBook Pro. But the darn thing is worth every penny.

What About Windows?

After hundreds of hours testing Windows Vista during its extensive beta cycle, last year I found myself wondering if it would turn out to be the best operating system choice for most people. That's when I decided to give Mac OS X a fair shake. In early November I began a total-immersion trial of the Macintosh.
                        Interesting stuff. Though I have no plans on switching...
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

When they start realizing you can only use half of the apps and less than half the games they will be back.
                          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

When they start realizing you can only use half of the apps and less than half the games they will be back.
                            news flash, most of us don't use pc's for games any more.
                            that in mind, which aps would you be refering to?
                            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Let me add to that the simplicity of booting into Windows on a Mac these days. There's no reason to go back when you can have the best of both worlds.

You don't have to like Macs, but it's time to put those wonderfully inaccurate misconceptions to bed. True, gaming is still better on a Windows-based PC, but I'd take the majority of Mac apps over their Windows counterparts any day.

Comment

Microsoft apps of course!

Have fun with your one mouse button.

If those mac vs. pc adds were accurate, the one guy that represents a mac would be missing one arm.

As for apps - the majority of free apps (torrent clients etc) make up the bulk of what I am referring too.

Although the matrox crowd doesn't have a lot of gamers anymore (it IS matrox...) - there are some - and most other demographics have a lot more.

Comment

Working...
                                X