No announcement yet.

New 19" Monitor - which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doesn't it say that they come with the normal sony warrenty, but without the full price tag..

I'll be buying one soon, not sure what size. and it won't be for a month or so.

Colin
    You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

Interesting that no NEC monitors were reviewed.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

hmm... should I be concerned about purchasing a reburbie monitor?

Check this out. (please)
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

This month's PC Pro magazine has a review of 19" monitors (Now isn't that a stroke of luck!)
          Anyway, the review wont be on their web site until this issue hits the news stands.
          I've left the magazine at home today, so I can't post their remarks on any of the monitos you're mentioned.
          However, out of the 15 or so monitors they tested (Including the excellent Sony G400) the Iiyama VM Pro 451 wins the test - just in case your interested.
          It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
          Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

For us NEC fans!

Here is what PC Pro has to say about last year's NEC MultiSync FE950 19 inch monitor. The new FE950+ is even better, allowing you to have a refresh rate of 68Hz at 1792x1344, and 76Hz at 1600x1200

While Sony and Mitsubishi have long been synonymous with the very finest quality CRT monitors, NEC is often overlooked. Lately, however, its monitors have caught our eye and, after an impressive review (see issue 63) of its 17in flat screen, it's now submitted its 19in model, the MultiSync FE950, for scrutiny.
            A quick glance at the showy front fascia of the case reveals a clearly marked set of adjustment controls. The power light behind the MultiSync logo switches between orange, yellow and green to indicate power states such as suspend and standby. A look around to the back of the case reveals a deeply recessed power connector, designed to save space, but the monitor still can't be pushed flush with a wall. Disappointingly, there's a VGA cable but no auxiliary VGA connector. If the cable is damaged, you'll need an engineer to replace it. Also, there are no USB ports on the FE950, but then it's the same with the Sony, ADI and Mitsubishi monitors.

The MultiSync FE950 features one of Mitsubishi's popular Diamondtron NF CRTs. This aperture-grille tube has a variable pitch ranging from 0.25mm in the central portion of the screen to 0.27mm at the edges, and sports an 18in viewable diagonal. A non-standard maximum resolution of 1,792 ´ 1,344 accompanied by a vertical refresh rate of 68Hz is specified in the supplied manual. However, we were unable to access this limit, and even at the standard resolution of 1,600 ´ 1,200 the monitor could only reach 73Hz. Fortunately, at the recommended resolution of 1,280 ´ 1,024, the monitor is capable of 85Hz, conforming to TCO 99 recommendations.

Despite these niggles, the FE950 put in a conspicuously impressive performance in our quality tests. It came fourth in our sharpness and resolution category of image-quality tests, fared less well in terms of geometry and distortion, finishing joint sixth, but excelled in the colour and greyscale category, only fractionally beaten to first position by the Sony Multiscan G400. In the overall quality stakes this allows the MultiSync FE950 to draw level with both the ADI MicroScan G910 and Philips Brilliance 109P10.

The MultiSync FE950 may not boast the most impressive feature set in this test, but its street price tag of just £310 for such a high-quality monitor is astonishing. Along with the ADI G910, it's a clear award winner.

Verdict: A monitor capable of a high level of image quality at a very seductive price; the only thing we didn't like was the captive cable.
            Price:£332 (£390 inc VAT) street price £310 (£364 inc VAT)
            Supplier: Insight 0870 700 7350

Comment

Right, me and my mate are going to go off on a road trip down to this vendor.

I will buy the best i can for £400... Should i consider a refurbished model? If so/not which one would you go for?

Cheers

Paddy

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Where i live (oz) i can get a Sony G420 for $1400 AUD or an IBM G96 for $949. The IBM also has a Sony tube. Has anyone seen an IBM in action. Are they comparable or is the G96 crap on a stick?

G

Comment

I have just picked up a Sony G400 refurbished for £300.

It is just under 11mths old and was returned by some idiot because there were two horizontal lines across the screen!

Whoever you are, thanks! You just saved me ~£160

A very happy Paddy

p.s. I could really do with a new graphics card now Come on Matrox, make me proud!

Comment

Working...
                  X