Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a good audio-stereo equipment forum??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found the Audioquest Sidewinder Subwoofer kit here in town. It really cleaned and tightened up the sound from what I was hearing with the 14 gauge braided cable.

The sub kit comes with a splitter for the +, - RCA inputs on the back of the sub.

Now I need to get creative and come up with a fix for replacing the crummy rubber feet they have on the bottom of the CT-120.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

About cables: How much is too much? Some cables I've seen are EXTREMELY expensive, in the $1,000+ range for just a couple of meters.

Speaking of Denon, the AVR-5800 is one ugly bastard

[This message has been edited by Liquid Snake (edited 13 April 2001).]

Comment

LS, If you are just using a receiver, I wouldn't spend huge amounts on cables. Look at the top Tributaries cables (SC series). They are expensive, but not outrageous for what you're doing. They are also extremely good.

Comment

Hehe. Finally had a chance today to go visit some audio shops. Got a chance to listen to the B&W Nautilus 802s and 803s. The problem is now, the 802s sounded so good, that if I bought anything else, I would be left unsatisfied. $8000 is a lot, and leaves little $ for the other components. I am pretty sure the 802s demand a lot more power than most receivers could handle, so I think I'm going to have to go the separates route. My father has an old H/K Citation 16 amp (from the 70's!). Rated at 150W each channel I think. Probably not enough for the 802s. If it is, I could save some $ by using this amp. Then get a good pre-amp to go with it, some surrounds, center channel, cables and then I'm set in the audio department. I'm have to go with a direct view TV, if I get the 802s, the projection TVs cost too much (though some look really nice).

Comment

The weakest link of any a/v system are the transducers: For audio, this was traditionally the turntable/stylus and speakers. I would get the best speakers you can afford and make do with some less equipment elsewhere which you can later upgrade with better gear.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Get the 802s now, and if the amps are inadequate, I can upgrade later.

Hmm, forum is acting funny today. There's a page 2 link for this thread on the main page, yet there is only one page here?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Liquid Snake:
                Hmm, forum is acting funny today. There's a page 2 link for this thread on the main page, yet there is only one page here?</font>
                Yeah, I noticed that. I posted a couple test posts first to see where they landed up. So far were still on page 1.

I'm a big fan of British speakers. I own KEFs for my surround system. My front speakers, KEF 107s, actually have appreciated in value. My salesman was trying to convince me that I should go with those since they deliver so much bass that I wouldn't need a sub. I got them and still bought the Velodyne (never can have too much clean bass).
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Maybe Ant increased the # of posts per page?

Here's a very interesting link I found: http://www.diyaudio.8m.com/Cables/alca.html
                  Making speaker cables using CAT5!!

Comment

Well as they say, "Thats an approach." I wouldn't try to scrimp on cables.

Comment

What a thread....LOL

Well, KvH got me motivated and I went and listened to the new B&W CDM series. I went to listen to the CDM 1Nt's and the saleman offered to trade up for my B&W 601's even though I didn't have the box. So, I replaced the 601's that I was using for rears. The saleman at my local shop offered the same deal on my DM 605 S2 fronts and my CDM CSE center channel even though they were over a year old since I kept the boxes for those. (business must be slow)....LOL

So, I now have an entire set of the new CDM Nt's. CDM 9NT fronts, CDM CNT center and CDM 1nt's for rears.

They were a bit harsh and bright out of the box but warmed up after playing a few choice DVD's like Jurassic Park, Matrix and The Fith Element.

I don't miss the DM 600 series speakers at all. The CDM's have the most incredible separation and soundstage. I'm just happy I intially invested in B&W since I got full value for old speakers when I traded up for the new speakers.

Paul
                      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I'm back!

Well, this is what I have down so far:

B&W N802s $8000
                        B&W HTM2 $1000
                        B&W N805s $2000
                        Velodyne HGS-12 $2199
                        Yamaha RX-V1 $1999
                        H/K Citation 16 $free
                        Sony KV-36XBR400 $1799 (? forgot the price)

I still need a DVD/CD/SACD player. Right now, I am planning to get a good DVD player, and use that as a CD player for the time being. I'll see what happens with SACD/DVD-A, then decide whether to get a DVD-A/SACD capable player.

I already picked up the Yamaha receiver - couldn't pass up the free remote offer. $500 remote for free?? Not only that, I got a good deal on the Yamaha - more than $1000 off the list price. I'll start to get the other components later on, maybe after these goddamn finals

I have to get the HTM2, because the HTM1 simply looked too massive for the TV. I didn't think it was that big until I saw it myself at the store.

I'm going to hook up the RX-V1 to the H/K amp, which I believe is rated at 150W/channel. That amp will power the 802s. I know they need more power to sound really good, but the really good amps cost almost as much as the speakers themselves. Later on, I can pick up a better amp. The store I was at had dual Classé CAM-350 amps powering the 802s. Also for financial reasons, I'll have to get the Velodyne sub later. Hopefully, the 802s are big enough to get me by in terms of bass.

Then there's still cables. The store I was at sold mainly Monster cables, which are mucho $$!. Salesperson recommended the M Series 2.4 biwire cables. Came out to $600 or so with two 6 feet cables. The Tributaries cables are cheaper, but I'll have to look around for them. Stores around here seem to like Monster for some reason Heh, at least the salesperson was willing to give us a good ~10% discount on the whole system.

Hmm, all those "I's" should be replaced with "We's," as in my father and I. After all, I couldn't afford all of this if I'm only 14. But I am doing the research and the listening for this system, so I tend to type "I" instead of "we." The rest of my family doesn't care about the HT system. Except my mother of course, complaining about the insane costs.

[This message has been edited by Liquid Snake (edited 31 May 2001).]

Comment

LS, before you drop all that money on B&W speakers, do yourself and your father a favor and find a Martin Logan dealer.

These manufactures are both top of the line and a must hear for anyone wishing to hear the music only, not the speaker.
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hmm, their dealer locator says I can find them at Harvey's Audio. I was just in that store a few weeks ago, but I don't remember seeing anything from Martin Logan. I'll go back there and have a listen.

Comment

So what did you get Liquid Snake????

We're dying to know.....

I read that the Martin Logan's were very sensitive to the cables etc..

Paul

Comment

Considering the electrostat film used weighes in at less than 1 cubic inch of air it oughta be!
                                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X