Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those mod'ing their cards. Are you overclocking?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those mod'ing their cards. Are you overclocking?

I know you cant go into the speeds if you are overclocking, but what are you using to overclock with? Does powerstrip work with the Parhelia?

Haig just posted on the matrox boards that 260mhz isn't out of the question with a very good heatsink.

AFAIK there is no overclocking tool yet and I heard that Powerstrip doesn't work.
    Specs:
    MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

Powerstrip does not support Parhelia yet.
      There is no utility out yet that does.
      If Matrox has such a utility, they have not announced it yet.
      Beta testers cannot comment on unannounced features/drivers/utils.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

It would be interesting to know if there is bios programming tool yet, like progbios (obviously there is, but I mean "in the open"). If so it should be possible to change the clockings this way.
        A bios-dump would be most interesting to see, any one want to have a go?

Comment

Just rampant speculation on my part. (And ignore this if it has already been said).

Yes, they are overclocking. (otherwise, cooling the thing better would only give you satisfaction, not performance increase).

The BBz doing the modding are doing so with the blessing of matrox, perhaps even at their request.

That the BBz are allowed to actually tell us that they modded at all is encouraging, though there are too many possible reasons that matrox to allow it for me to list them all here.

Happy shooting in the dark.

Dr. Moreau
          System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Yes, they are overclocking. (otherwise, cooling the thing better would only give you satisfaction, not performance increase).
            Then I guess that we are getting alot of satisfaction. There are some in this world who do not OC but do want their systems and componets to be as cool as possible to help extend their life.

The BBz doing the modding are doing so with the blessing of matrox, perhaps even at their request.
            Matrox has not asked us to mod our cards. We are doing this on our own with the understanding that if the modded card breaks we will not get a new one.

That the BBz are allowed to actually tell us that they modded at all is encouraging, though there are too many possible reasons that matrox to allow it for me to list them all here.
            Modding something to help it run cooler is not at all uncommon. I think you are reading too much into this.

Joel
            Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

It was strongly implied by some of the BBs that they were o/c'ing their Ps with the fan and HSF mods but they never came right out and admitted it. Greebe did state that he hasn't seen a P compatible MTSTU yet. Ashley (Powerstrip author) stated he hasn't heard anything from Matrox yet regarding the P and doesn't have any updated P compatible SW.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I was under the impression that they were either o/c'ing the cards already, or were preparing for the release of a tweaking utility by installing "excess" cooling. Since people have said the ram runs warm even at stock speed it makes sense to put on additional cooling just for gp's too, so it seems a guessing game more than anything as to what you BBz are really up to.

Comment

of course they are. what they are telling you atm is just BB talk
                  no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I'm with Throp on this one....

250? Happy dayez........!

the BBz cant talk about it - but hey - we can !when Frankiemail gets his phaze change-dual-kryptonite deconbobulator working (and if he doesnt fo blind ) we will get some benchies at 300, I dont doubt!

Regards
                    RedRed
                    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Just remember guys that any modifications to or overclocking of the card will void the warranty and it will not be repalced in the event of a failure. And it won't matter why it failed or who you say says it can be done.

Joel
                      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Well, that's kinda the reason I kept the original heatsink -unbruised- ... if something goes wrong (i'll run some quick peltier/wc tests tomorrow) i'll strap the original thing back on and RMA it back... if they see I tried "to pass them a pine tree" (translation of an old Québec saying (leur passer un sapin ) i'll just have to buy another one and as a (very expensive) bonus, i'll have the first official Parhelia doorstop ... now where that overclocking proggy we've been waiting for???

No jokes, I've really bought one of those small liquor fridges just to get the compressor, radiator and heat-exchanger... (cost me $80 BRAND NEW) MUCH cheaper than a Vapochill or equiv. unit!. I just hope the compressor is of good quality, and it won'T burn after a few mins running continously

Guys?? Hit that C++ compiler ON TEH DOUBLE
                        What was necessary was done yesterday;
                        We're currently working on the impossible;
                        For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
                        - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
                        - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
                        - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
                        - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
                        - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
                        (Server)
                        - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
                        - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
                        - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
                        - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

Just curious, would simply putting some ram sinks on automaticly void the warranty, or would it be a judgment call on Matrox's part if you needed to RMA the card?

Comment

Extend the life? come on, your pullin' my leg!

How long do you expect to keep this card?

As it's shipped if it runs too hot it might only last you 5-6 years. I don't think i've got any parts in my comp that old. Their all obsolete

Bub

Comment

Well... I'm still running a G400 MAX, it ain't exactly new.

Comment

Working...
                              X