Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those mod'ing their cards. Are you overclocking?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's only generally true. There's no rule that says that pushing your hardware too far will not cause it to permanently damage itself.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

1# thing on the minds of the BBz when talking about o/c'ing their cards: They can't get a replacement if they kill it.

Comment

Maniac, you must be the most clueless of all posters here on the forums to think it's not possible to kill anything by OCing it.

I have no personal vendetta against you but dude polease get a grip on reality here.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Just a question about the overclocking, how is it done?

I seem to remember my old Voodoo2 card just had some registry settings to change, and if it is so i can't understand why anybody haven't OC'd their card yet

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Greebe
            Maniac, you must be the most clueless of all posters here

[/QUOTE/]

That's pretty harsh to call posters on a board you moderate to be "clueless" Maybe you think only your own opinion counts, but in reality that's not the case.

Anyway back on the subject, O/C as I have outlined will not damage any GPU. There are cases of chips failing, some are O/C some are not. This 0.1% will always be around.
            Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maniac
              [B]
              Originally posted by Greebe
              Anyway back on the subject, O/C as I have outlined will not damage any GPU. There are cases of chips failing, some are O/C some are not. This 0.1% will always be around.
              My friend killed his graphics card with overclocking.... and if you look around, there are many cases where the cards are dead after overclocking.
              Specs:
              MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

not to beat the issue to death but Matrox cards can suffer a corrupt Bios from O/C'ing...
                Remember all those poor G400's that PowerStrip eat-up... this forum was filled with people with dead cards...

the problem is when you are a frontier you don't know the "right" way to do it... wrong way can cause a dead part, this is a bad thing...

Any word on the Dev. of MGAtweak?? and has anyone tried to "Read" the clock speed of the P with MGATweak??
                Remember the days of the G400, MGAtweak worked but didn't display the right Dividers and thus clock speeds of each unit [Gfx clk, Mem clk]

Curious, don't have a P, so anyone with one could try it...
                reading the clock shouldn't cause any trouble...

Craig
                1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Please, stop using the word CLUELESS it brings back awful flashbacks of that TV show my girlfriend used to listen to on saturday mornings...
                  What was necessary was done yesterday;
                  We're currently working on the impossible;
                  For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
                  - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
                  - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
                  - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
                  - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
                  - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
                  (Server)
                  - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
                  - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
                  - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
                  - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

a good point to remeber,

If you are beta testing testing, then you are not overclocking, the 2 are exclusive testing should be done at stock speeds...probably with stock cooling..buts lets not get into that

But after a hard days beta tesing they may Crank there cards up for a bit of UT at night...when they get there OC util....which is comming soon...which they are not testing yet....

Comment

a good point to remeber,

the BBs are testing the SW ... not the HW.
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

O/C as I have outlined will not damage any GPU
                        Wrong again. At the very least you are increasing your wear & tear. At worst, you're going to start ripping the chip apart. It seems you have no idea as to the myriad of situations that can occur in silicon.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                          hmm, lets see, here I am at 11pm at night or so, and my pc room is an ambient of 30c or so, my pc's run 24/7. gets to 35c/36c in this room during the day.
                          I'm not rich enough to run the a/c 24/7 as well.

Nope, can't think of a single reason why (even tho its at stock speed) I have an bigger fan on my stock HS on the XP1800+, no idea at all why I have hdd coolers, extra case fans, plus the 120mm fan with blow hole in the bottom of the case. nup no idea at all

Dan
                          Dan, that's miserable! How can you stand it?

Comment

xortam, software can crash becasue you OC the hardware..I think trying to test any software on OC'ed hardware is very stupid thing to do...you will enough bugs and crashs without introduceing hardware related ones.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maniac
                              Originally posted by Greebe
                              Maniac, you must be the most clueless of all posters here

[/QUOTE/]

That's pretty harsh to call posters on a board you moderate to be "clueless" Maybe you think only your own opinion counts, but in reality that's not the case.

I think your proving that you are clueless. I think you need a processor upgrade in that thing at the top of your neck.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Stringy,

MGATweak will complain "Supported MGA chipsets not found!" and quit if you try to run it on Parhelia. The reason is very simple, MGATweak checks for the known PCI vendor ID and device ID before trying to probe the hardware.

MGATweak always displays the correct clocks and dividers for MGA-1064/1164G, MGA-2064/2164W, G200 and G400 as per specs given by Matrox.

MGATweak was never written with G450, G550 and Parhelia in mind. MGATweak happens to work with G450 is simply a matter of luck because Matrox happened to use the same PCI device and vendor ID for G400/G450. But the clocks and dividers for G450 is not correct as the memory controller in G450 has changed and Matrox did not update the specs to address the differences.

MGATweak will not work with G550 and Parhelia, until Matrox releases the specs for developers. It doesn't sound likely that Matrox will support overclocking Parhelia based on the fact that MTSU was never updated to support G450 and G550. We need 3rd-party support, and that falls under the courtesy of Matrox releasing the specs to the developers public.

If Parhelia maintains the same PLL architecture as in G400, Powerstrip and MGATweak should be able to support overclocking pretty easily as long as the hardware is recognized. However, clock dividers and memory optimization will not be available without the specs from Matrox.
                                KJ Liew

Comment

Working...
                                X