No announcement yet.

Other Drivers for Parhelia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of Linux, you should say XFree86 drivers so that it would work cross-platform (I want it in my FreeBSD), kind of like how Gxx0 driver is now.
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by Ryu Connor

Windows 2000 (sadly) and Windows ME are growing ever closer to the own termination point. It would seem that Windows 2000 users will be lucky to see a SP4 at the current rate.
      Most business will be using Windows 2000 for a good while to come yet - there's no way M$ can stop supporting it and force them to move to XP.
      "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
      Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
      DriverHeaven administrator
      PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

Yup, Microsoft have indeed messed up. They should've had activation/subscription stuff in Win2k to get the money from businesses then.

Most places I know (with 'real' networks) were very reluctant to leave NT4, but started to give in to Win2k now. I believe my University in fact will add 3 Win2k labs for 1st/2nd years on my return. And do you think they will really want XP? To business, I'd think XP looks like a Home Edition all round.

Long live Win2k (and NT4 for that matter ).

P.
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Originally posted by UberLord
          Thats a valid point - but here's a counter argument

Take a decent rock-solid OS like Linux or *BSD
          Many apps require a GUI of some sorts, so a basic 2D driver fits the bill very nicely.

After this userbase goes "ooooohhhh ahhhhh" when the 2D works, Matrox can then concenrate on getting 3D support + PD options working

Bottom line is that a lotta stuff needs 2D working as the bare minimum. 3D shitz is optional
          ok, for a start 2D-only is ok.
          But 2D-only forever, that useless in my eyes.
          Don´t get me wrong: W98 is more for gaming than for working, imho
          so you oly need to set a few "gaming-parameters", not every feature...

regards
          de hülben seck de ü.

Comment

Interesting results considering all the ranting and raving going on about Matrox not creating Parhelia drivers for Win 98/ME.

Joel
            Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by Wienerschnitzl

ok, for a start 2D-only is ok.
              But 2D-only forever, that useless in my eyes.
              True, but would you take a working 2D driver this week or wait 6 months until they get 3D working?

I know exactly what route I would take.

Now if they "sure we can do a 2D driver but we have no plans for 3D" then thats a whole different kettle of fish and no graphics company in their right mind should be doing this.
              "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

Comment

Originally posted by Joel
                Interesting results considering all the ranting and raving going on about Matrox not creating Parhelia drivers for Win 98/ME.

Joel
                Maybe it forced people to upgrade when they first heard about it and voted accordingly.

Would have been better to add another option "Already upgraded to Win2K/XP due to no drivers for Win9x/ME"

Comment

Maybe it forced people to upgrade when they first heard about it and voted accordingly.

Would have been better to add another option "Already upgraded to Win2K/XP due to no drivers for Win9x/ME"
                  I think you are right.

Can a moderator add that option (please) ?

Goodbye....
                  <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
                  <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                    Instead of Linux, you should say XFree86 drivers so that it would work cross-platform (I want it in my FreeBSD), kind of like how Gxx0 driver is now.
                    I voted for Liunx drivers, because we need a good cross-platform XFree86 driver for Parhelia. I'm waiting for such a thing before buy a P.

Comment

Originally posted by atko

I voted for Liunx drivers, because we need a good cross-platform XFree86 driver for Parhelia. I'm waiting for such a thing before buy a P.
                      Linux driver != cross platform

XFree86 driver == cross platform

The Kyro driver suffers from this flaw - hopefully Matrox won't make the same mistake

Comment

Even though i am primarily using win2k personally, i would like to have full support for win9x (basic support for win3.x is a bonus) because as a technician in a cybercafe we use win98SE as the popular games old and new still runs on it without giving much problems. We are using nvidia cards at the moment and i cant recommend parhelia if there is no support for win98 at least. Alot of my customers do graphic design (arts school nearby) and grumble about the picture quality. Having parhelias would make both gamers and designers happy. Personally i wouldnt buy P unless it supports win98, win2k and linux.
                        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Linux driver != cross platform

XFree86 driver == cross platform
                          Yes you are absolutely right, but in this poll we could only vote for Linux drivers not for XFree86 drivers.

Comment

Most business will be using Windows 2000 for a good while to come yet - there's no way M$ can stop supporting it and force them to move to XP.
                            No way?

You and I must know rather different Microsofts.
                            <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Ryu Connor

No way?

You and I must know rather different Microsofts.
                              I am well aquainted with The Beast. What they is rarely what they actually do...

Comment

--Not good for me!

I talked my company into ordering 14 new Matrox cards, I'm the IT person i guess, anyways,

They show up, and NO WIN 98 drivers!!

They are all being sent back. My boss isn't very happy, and says if a computer hardware company cant support his business, he doesnt need them.

Thanks a lot Matrox, and all the Matrox moderators on this forum who betray the common woman who doesnt have time to review 20 different reviews.

Colette S.

Comment

Working...
                                X