No announcement yet.

Everything you wanted to know about Matrox but were afraid to ask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that and any further speculation should really live in TCB.
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Originally posted by borat
      well actually haig has said they have something in the pipeline but not in a statement and he said it woul be a while off yet but an evolution of parhelia technology targeted at the area its aimed at specifically.
      so either:-
      a new dx9 part(0.09 micron as stated last year?) which i assume will be high speed ad manufactured with care this time, incorporating faa and triple head
      OR
      some sort of business workstation card for high end 3D.

dont hold your horses, i guess late 2003 for a release but faith that something will emerge.

it seems like they are on track as planned last year as parhelia was not due to be succeeded untill late 2003 when 0.09 micron was matured a little.(with a little hiccup surrounding parhelia).
      there is no such thing as a 0.09 process right now (at fabs like UMC, TSMC, etc...). 0.13 isn't even working at decent yields yet...so if the nextgen P is supposed to be released on such a process...I wouldn't expect it before H1 2004.

Comment

in that case it looks like a 2004 release then.
        is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
        Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Maybe if we're all really lucky and really patient, Matrox just might price it right around the cost of new bargain PC...lets see maybe $800 or so?
          Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

no, I came across some of their execs last time I hopped in Canada, they assured me it would be very price-competitive (with the problems they have with the P right now...). I can't comment on what he said exactly (which wasn't a hell of a lot either). We'll just have to bear the cost of the new process. The first chips will be a bit expensive, but the additional ones are to be very cheap -that's what he said. He didn't give me exact figures (doh!) but he said the first 1000 pcs batch would cover the cost of the process. (So we just have to not buy the first 1000 ones )

He also told me that they coudn't fix the actual core of the P as they were focusing on the next generation chip and on P derivative for their video editing line. He said to be patient and that they'd release the board when it was ready and no sooner.

Of course this is just a not very elaborate yet slightly ironic way of putting things. It probably reflects _a_ reality...

Comment

It's sounds promising. We must hope, that we'll se it soonâ„¢
              Kuba2k

P4 1.6@2.1 512kB - i845E - 512MB DDR333@354 - 60 GB - G400 DH 32MB - EIZO 21" CRT & 29" flat TV - SB Audigy - Genius SW-5.1 Home Theater - Pioneer DVD 106s - TEAC WE540K - ELSA cable modem

Comment

Now that would be totally KICKASS!!!
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

u guys are jumping the gun, you will be waiting for a long time

Comment

Don't worry we know what soon means.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The important thing is that Matrox actually has something coming and isn't throwing in the towel...
                      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

The P bar the banding issues had a lot off potential if Matrox could have clocked it higher. Cure the banding give a huge mhz boost and you've got a card although not leading edge would keep me happy.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                          The P bar the banding issues had a lot off potential if Matrox could have clocked it higher. Cure the banding give a huge mhz boost and you've got a card although not leading edge would keep me happy.
                          Wouldn't it suck if they actually had a card like that ready months ago, but refuse to sell it until the current Parhelia cards are sold?
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                            Wouldn't it suck if they actually had a card like that ready months ago, but refuse to sell it until the current Parhelia cards are sold?
                            A Big Yup.
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yeah, you're right, nobody could be that stupid. Hypothetically.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks Wombat.
                                Loads of cider in me but I was agreeing with your statement. So Matrox get your finger out for 2004.
                                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                                X