Here are the US statistics for 1902.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people lost their jobs.

Seriously, the usually have a pretty good idea of what's down there. VERY SIMPLIFIED: First seismic analysis (and this is where some pretty hefty computing power comes in useful), then if a "potential" reserve is identified, you might well use a mobile (semi-submersible or jack-up) rig to drill some exploratory wells. In fact these might be tied off at the top and used for later production if found good. Only then, when they are really sure, is a full rig used.

And these days (a) the N. Sea is pretty damn well mapped under the surface (b) we have subsurface technology which means you can have a wellhead on the sea floor tied back into the pipeline infrastructure with no permanent rig above it and (c) horizontal/directional drilling means that very you can get to oil about 7 miles sideways from a rig!

The result? Very few new rigs in the N Sea. Deepwater (eg gulf of mexico), and off Nigeria is where it's at now, and here there are some quite big single reserves to attack. So you should hit something black and sticky

The N Sea has the rigs from when there were bigger reserves there, and now has the technology to get at the little reserves that were uneconomic before using the same rigs.

But in the end, it's an expensive and fairly risky business. We write a lot of exploration expense off, as does everyone. A single hole in the ground can cost USD 15 million.
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Re: Re: Here are the US statistics for 1902.

Originally posted by Evildead666
      Holy Moley!! They really had some strange ideas back then!

And what was all this based on? (not much i suspect...)
      Its rather a shame that Nicotine got thru tho....
      They thought Uranium had great medicinal purposes back then...

It'll be interesting how medicine and computing changes by 2052.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Also, these days in the norweagen sector, they use automated drillstations that's placed on the seabed. So there is no need for big manned installations. Computers taking over the controll.

Cheers..

James
        Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

Hey Doc,
          You grow up in Amish country
          I'm not to far from you here where I am Indiana (my uncle lives in Walled Lake) and I read your earlier post Hand pumped water We had a hand pump on a well here from back when my Father grew up here (He's 'bout 9 years older than you or -old- in other words ) and it worked but wow! hand pumpin' water in the 50's

Comment

Hey GNEP check this out... my first hop to the realworld is located on an oil rig located off shore (Gulf of Mexico)

Here are the coordinates:

27.966667 north latitude
            86.358333 west longitude
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

And #25 -- the PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE WAS CONSTITUTIONAL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
              Only because it had not yet been modified to include the words "Under God".

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

I'll have look in the week and see what I can find there Greebe...

It's a bit like this bizarre place off the coast of the UK that was an RAF bombing target for years (I think) and was bought be some rich bloke who declared it an independent country ("Sealand") with himself as King... because it's far enough off the coast, there are a few problems applying UK law out there... Anyways, he runs it as an internet hub/hosting service for all sorts of dodgy stuff I think that is a little further out of reach than normal from the police...
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by Joel
                  Probably at that time they just didn't understand it's addictive nature and the harmful side effects of it's misuse. Of course any medicine misused can have harmful side effects.

Joel
                  pharmacology of the era was not exactly a "science". nor was medicine (see the original post).

Remember, pharmacists then were still marketing Coca-Cola as a medicine!
                  System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Working...
                  X