Legal Advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Advice.

I decided to help a carpool buddy this morning by trailing him to the car dealership for repairs and then driving him to work. No big deal, until I got pulled over for an illegal U-turn.

The car dealership is located on a frontage road of the highway. You get to the frontage road off of a major road where the highway exit/entrance ramps are. Getting to the frontage road is an easy right hand turn and you're there; however, getting back to the highway is a chore, especially for people like me who do not know the area.

I tried to get back on to the highway from the way I came, but the road is blocked so you can only turn right. All of the intersections for the next km are blocked by no U-turn signs, including the one I thought didn't have a no U-turn sign, namely an intersection with a left turn light and lane. The left turn light has two signs next to it on the post, one says 'no turn onf red' the other a no left turn for trucks. The no U-turn sign is apparently on the median below. And since I was looking for it, it wasn't very noticable.

That and it was dark and foggy this morning.

So I asked the officer how I was supposed to get back on the highway from the car dealerships and he told me some side roads I was supposed to take Some unmarked side roads mind you. That people like me wouldn't have a freak'n clue to take.

Now my question. If I gather picture evidence of the unmarked back roads, the small no U-turn sign that's posted away from teh left turn light and the acoompanying signs, plus bring in to play the fact that it is illegal to use private property to make U-turns or bypass traffic, do you think I can get off on entrapment? After all, if they do clearly mark a legal, alternate route for out-of-towners like me to take, I would have no way of knowing any legal route to get back to the highway. Therefore they are forcing me to take unknown roads or make an illegal traffic manuver.

Whadda think?

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

You only have one chance. If you go to court and the cop doesn't show up.
    Logic and reasoning don't work in traffic court. No matter how right you may be, if the sign is posted, the judge will nail you.
    You may be able to plea out with the DA to a lesser infraction, but don't count on it...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

No way! Pay your fine like a good boy: it'll cost you a lot less than arguing the case and losing, which you are almost sure to do.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

In germany, you could win this case, if the sign was REALLY hard to see.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
          In germany, you could win this case, if the sign was REALLY hard to see.

AZ
          Same here (in Israel).
          If you have pictures to prove your case - that is.
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
            ...You may be able to plea out with the DA to a lesser infraction...
            What would be a lesser infraction than a bad u-turn?
            That already sounds bottom-of-the-barrel.

Here, if you take your pictures and act nice & polite in court, even if you are convicted the judge is likely to reduce your fine.

Good Luck
            Chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

I plan on taking pictures. I really don't feel like paying this fine. Plus the fine is $80 and moving violation. It's worth the day in court, IMO. I just want opinions on my chance of winning and advice on how I might win it.

Where is Doc when you need him?

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Your chance of winning is slim to none.
                You'll end up not only paying the fine, but also court costs, plus your wasted time.
                You have a better chance of pleaing down to defective vehicle or some other non-moving violation (if you have a good driving record).
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Winning? VERY unlikely.
                  Reduced Fine? maybe.

Traffic Court is to Court what Pewter is to Silver.

Polish it any way you want, it ain't gonna shine.

chuck
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

I had a similar situation when making a wrong turn down a one way road in the middle of a snow storm. Didn't anymore make the turn when I got pulled over ( I wasn't even 20ft. down the road yet!) I got the ticket, then I went to the court to fight it with a hand drawn map of the intersection. The officer admitted that maybe I couldn't see the sign across the street on the opposite side of the road, but he then invented a new sign that he claimed I should've seen. I checked, it wasn't there. I didn't have proof on hand and I wasn't planning on coming back to the state I got the ticket in for several months to file an appeal. I paid my ticket and court costs, but at least it got me out of traffic school. Same costs in money as the court costs but takes less time to go to court than traffic school.

You won't win if you go to court unless the officer doesn't show up. However, pleading not guilty or guilty in court can save you from traffic school, and your insurance company shouldn't find out about the ticket.
                    This was in Dekalb, IL by the way.
                    Just a month left of grad school!

Comment

Pay the ticket. In traffic court even if you win you lose.

A few years back when, on approaching a stop sign, a wheel cylinders seak broke in the left rear of our van. I was able to stop using the emergency brake, but with the nose of the van about 3 feet past the sign.

Even though I did not enter the crossing street and the incident was caused by a mechanical failure I got a ticket for running the stop sign

I went to court with the repair receipt, photos of a 30 foot long trail of brake fluid on the street and even a receipt showing that a local garage had replaced that same wheel cylinder just a few weeks earlier.

The magistrate dismissed the $80 ticket, but then chaged me $100 in court costs because I fought the ticket

The reason for these kinds of shenanigans: the court splits the proceeds with the city, making them a primary revenue source quoted when the time comes to re-negotiate salaries etc.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 December 2003, 09:45.
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                        What would be a lesser infraction than a bad u-turn?
                        Sorry, but actually it's one of the worst.
                        Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt
                          Sorry, but actually it's one of the worst.
                          I had no idea.
                          chuck
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

The lesson: we are almost always punished for our kindnesses. Make your buddy pay the ticket or throw him out of the carpool.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                              The lesson: we are almost always punished for our kindnesses. Make your buddy pay the ticket or throw him out of the carpool.
                              Just about guaranteed to make Jammrock's car break down the next day.
                              chuck
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X